Placebo

ArmA2: Operation Arrowhead Impressions - ALL OA Impressions/Videos/Screenies Here

Do you even understand what "penetrate," even means? Possibly, the rounds are going THROUGH the bus, for example, penetrating. Shooting a bus with a tank round doesn't automatically mean it's going to blow up in a giant fireball.

Yeah but it would blow a big hole in it.

Omg!

Can You post your pc specification?

I'm on: Q9550@3.4GHz, 4GB ram, HD4870x2 and 2xhdd raid-0, but I can get 30 fps only if in chernarus forest, where no towns are visible. Playing 1920x1200 resolution. PP off, AA low, terrain low, rest on high. I feel bad... :S

4870x2

Q8200 @3.0Ghz

4Gb DDR3

Asus Rampage Extreme Mobo

320GB HDD.

ArmA 2 runs amazingly. OA is just sad. I turn PP to anything above disabled and my FPS will go from 40 to like 17. -_-

I cant run AA either now. Running AA on High was no problem in ArmA 2.

Right now OA looks like crap because Im running it on low/medium settings, barely getting 30 FPS.

What the hell did BIS do to this game???

Do you even understand what "penetrate," even means? Possibly, the rounds are going THROUGH the bus, for example, penetrating. Shooting a bus with a tank round doesn't automatically mean it's going to blow up in a giant fireball.

I kind of doubt that the bus would remain in perfect working condition if that was happening :j:

HEAT = High (bagabum !) Explosive (very big bagabum !) Anti (vs tank = win) Tank (armored vihicle)

do you realy think shooting with that type of ammo from tank, you can't even damage civilian bus, civilian cars and civilian motobike ?????

lol

The example he posted is reproduceable at any angle and point of aim one would care to mention. It´s safe to assume the fuze(s) being sensitive enough to ignite upon impact with sheet metal in reality.

~3kg high explosives (HE / DM11?) vs a minibus.

A-9JoF5o5B4

HEAT projectiles of the same caliber have about 1/2 the filler material. Blast, fragments and secondary missiles do considerable damage to soft targets, even if the metal jet fails to hit any vital components or passengers on it's way through.

Noone expects BI to include a damage model to rival that of Steel Fury or Steel Beasts, but you can expect them to fix bugs if confirmed. :)

Regarding the penetration videos, try putting people inside the empty vehicles and then see what happens to them. You might get the opposite effect.

The example he posted is reproduceable at any angle and point of aim one would care to mention. It´s safe to assume the fuze(s) being sensitive enough to ignite upon impact with sheet metal in reality.

~3kg high explosives (HE / DM11?) vs a minibus.

[YOUTBE]A-9JoF5o5B4[/YOUTUBE]

HEAT projectiles of the same caliber have about 1/2 the filler material. Blast, fragments and secondary missiles do considerable damage to soft targets, even if the metal jet fails to hit any vital components or passengers on it's way through.

Noone expects BI to include a damage model to rival that of Steel Fury or Steel Beasts, but you can expect them to fix bugs if confirmed. :)

I want one!

Edited by Placebo

Could the devs shed any light why this game is running way better than ArmA 2 for some....and HORRIBLY worse than ArmA 2 for others?!?

Could the devs shed any light why this game is running way better than ArmA 2 for some....and HORRIBLY worse than ArmA 2 for others?!?

I would guess it could be any or all of the following:

* SSAO (GPU hungry effect in OA)

* not all optimizations from A2 1.07 made it to OA so far (e.g. better support for 64bit and quad core)

* SLI/Crossfire profiles are not yet out for OA

Strange that SSAO in not affecting much of my performance with 5850. If disabled i gain max 2 fps.

5850 is one of the top of the line though, and isn't it a single card with two in one or something like that?

Which version are you using Enad? Or are you still on vacation ;)

I would guess it could be any or all of the following:

* SSAO (GPU hungry effect in OA)

* not all optimizations from A2 1.07 made it to OA so far (e.g. better support for 64bit and quad core)

* SLI/Crossfire profiles are not yet out for OA

1. I still cant even get over 30 FPS with all settings low and PP effects disabled.

2. But ArmA 2 ran GREAT at patch 1.05...why not OA?

3. That's probably the problem, because I have a 4870x2. It runs ArmA 2 AMAZINGLY, but in OA my FPS is dreadful.

Thanks for the response. Any word on when Crossfire profiles will be out for OA. I really want to play OA but I cant with this FPS.

You must think theres something wrong when a user can go from running ArmA 2 maxed out AA on High 133% 3D Res with 50 FPS on Chernarus to 15-30FPS on Takistan with low-medium settings. AA off. PP effects off. 125% 3D Res. :confused:

@SniperPilot- I'm using most update version of OA, the patch released today!

Voice acting is a lot better and the stupid robotic "ENEMY! MAN! 500! METERS! To our...NORTH!" has been cut down to something more bearable. I don't get why some American voices still sound like someone from a European country trying to make an American accent though. They have American voice actors so why not use them for all American characters. It also sounds weird that the British, Czech and German troops all have the wrong accents.

Overall the expansion improves ArmA 2 a lot, but I'm one of the people getting worse performance at the same settings. Weird thing is the only bad performance for me in normal ArmA 2 are the red/orange trees. In OA the vegetation runs better but there is mysterious stuttering and slowdowns even when I'm in a barren area.

Edited by randir14

Enad, try AA on normal and lower 3D Res to 100%. I used 133 % Res and Low AA in ArmA 2, but with this settings in Arrowhead i lost many fps and had to "change" 3d res to AA.

I don't get why some American voices still sound like someone from a European country trying to make an American accent though.

Most likely because it is.

I would like to gleefully state, with much appreciation: THAT MICHIGAN HAS RECEIVED IT'S OWN SLICE OF WIN AND AWESOMENESS!!!!

is.php?i=8025&img=2010-06-29_20.1.jpg

My impressions.. The 'Silencer, RAWWAR!!!' guy is nicely in the middle of the jacket- cool, calm, competent looking dude on the cover....... damn!! Still only 3/4 installed... Need to find some way to hold me together for another 5 min... *goes off to search for a cigarette in a non-smoking home*

I edited to be more clear about what I meant. They already have American voice actors so why not use them for all Americans instead of having another person fake it.

I edited to be more clear about what I meant. They already have American voice actors so why not use them for all Americans instead of having another person fake it.

I agree, I know tons of people that would have flown at no charge for BIS to the Czech Republic to have a chance at being a part of this great series! Hopefully next release BIS will reconsider!

Though I have to admit, the acting produces some of the best laughs, and its pretty cool that its mostly all the developers voices :)

MICHIGAN HAS RECEIVED IT'S OWN SLICE OF WIN AND AWESOMENESS!

Wolverines! Anyway, did you buy it from a store or online?

Red Dawn and Michigan.. Never put the two together (I'm a State fan, lol)

Pre-ordered from GameStop. Unfortunately the ONLY one they had delivered. No locals to blow up. :(

Red Dawn and Michigan. Never put the two together (I'm a State fan, lol) Pre-ordered from GameStop. Unfortunately the ONLY one they had delivered. No locals to blow up.

Well, the Spartans are good too. I guess it'll be safe to say that many Gamestops have received at least one copy of Operation Arrowhead and/or Combined Operations.

4870x2

Q8200 @3.0Ghz

4Gb DDR3

Asus Rampage Extreme Mobo

320GB HDD.

ArmA 2 runs amazingly. OA is just sad. I turn PP to anything above disabled and my FPS will go from 40 to like 17. -_-

I cant run AA either now. Running AA on High was no problem in ArmA 2.

Right now OA looks like crap because Im running it on low/medium settings, barely getting 30 FPS.

What the hell did BIS do to this game???

Thanks for answer. Some more questions.

You have dual 4870's or single card 4870x2?

I just don't get it. I have by small margin better PC than yours, and I'm strugling with barely playable fps in Arma 2, while you are maxing it out at about 50fps.

Can anybody explain this?

Could you please post all settings and Arma cfg file, please? Also what ATI ccc version you are using? And how do you get rid of v-sync, if you do so? What's your OS?

I'll post my system spec again, for clarification:

Q9550@3.4GHz

4GB DDR3

HD4870x2 (single card)

OS Windows 7 64bit

he has the single card. He's sleeping right now, I'll tell him to talk to you when he awakes. (cause he might miss your post)

Currently updating to ver 1.52. Overall, I like it. I'll have to get a better video card (ATI 3850) because I love the beauty of the new engine, but love more greatly the fluidity of motion. All the features and tweaks are surprising. The AI has stepped it up a notch, as every single time I let my guard down I get zapped by a pair of serious flankers. Penetration models are pretty exciting.

Only problem I found besides my old hardware, was in a generated town (TRES MAGNIFIQUE MODULE!!). I was doing some close quarters stuff, hit '2x -' to sustain the zoom out for wider field of view, and noticed half of the houses (including the one I was in) disappeared. Repeated it a few times, will check in existing towns on map. This happened with ver 1.50. Great job BIS! Enjoying more and more!