Placebo

ArmA2: Operation Arrowhead Impressions - ALL OA Impressions/Videos/Screenies Here

Did anyone mentioned that sound engine is awsomness? :eek:

I using 64 channels so far, and it's AWSOME!!! :)

Russian HEAT ammunition can not damage the super car of Americans. But from the HE ammunition immediately death.

Bug or so conceived?

Most probably a "feature" called penetrability - check if you hitting engine or something hard and unpenetrable. HEAT round has different settings than older HE rounds (speed, caliber...) too.

• The PEQ box lasers make things a bit more interesting.
  • And the thing that surprised me the most was how your character now moves when you are driving or flying, that was so cool even though it was a very minor thing.

Could you (or anyone) please elaborate more in this?

Why does that video look different to this one, i mean the gun sights and whatnot (im not talking about when he's using the drone btw)?

<snip>

Also can someone confirm vehicle FLIR? Im sure its there but ive seen a couple of the videos and noones used it yet.

Uziyahu's video only shows the use of regular NVG. The second video shows the use of FLIR sights by the AH-6X (white-hot, marking targets) and the AH-64 (black-hot, 0:59 onwards). Both vehicles (along with many others) can switch between these two FLIR modes as well as regular NVG.

Most probably a "feature" called penetrability - check if you hitting engine or something hard and unpenetrable. HEAT round has different settings than older HE rounds (speed, caliber...) too.

Is this feature only available to the HE rounds? Or does it also extend to other ammo types such as the 5.56 and 7.62? Would be cool if so, thus preventing the destruction of armored vehicles with these small calibers.

Either way, those HE round parameters seem to need some tweaks...

I hope so. ^

It's kind of annoying getting blown up by a Makarov handgun while sitting in a LAV-25.

@ricbar89 first video (quote) is flir in apache second video is the UAV flir

Like i said in my post:

(im not talking about when he's using the drone btw)

Not all of the footage from the second video is "drone" or "UAV" you can see the player switching between the Apache and the UAV and the Apache optics are different from the first video.

The first video optics look like Cobra's, whilst the second video looks like Apache, so whats going on?

@Sith are you saying that there are separate optics on the Apache for standard NV viewing and FLIR?

Also the vehicle FLIR, i know its there just looking for conformation. :) :p

... does it also extend to other ammo types such as the 5.56 and 7.62?

Caliber for penetrability is set in ammo config of all types of "bullet" based rounds (incl SABOT). Every bullet that hits a fire geometry calculates how far it penetrates depending on fire geometry material, actual speed and caliber.

You can try various guns aganst armored APCs and you should see i.e. that .50cal. M107 rifle can kill crew of many vehicles now. Another example is a concrete wall that stops small arms but not the high caliber armour piercing round.

High explosive "shells" dont calculate with various calibers, their penetration is based just on actual speed against fire geometry material.

Edited by Armored_Sheep

Now THAT is the coolest thing ive heard about OA yet! Thanks Armored Sheep!

Caliber for penetrability is set in ammo config of all types of "bullet" based rounds (incl SABOT). Every bullet that hits a fire geometry calculates how far it penetrates depending on fire geometry material, actual speed and caliber.

You can try various guns aganst armored APCs and you should see i.e. that .50cal. M107 rifle can kill crew of many vehicles now. Another example is a concrete wall that stops small arms but not the high caliber armour piercing round.

High explosive "shells" dont calculate with various calibers, their penetration is based just on actual speed against fire geometry material.

You are getting me hyped guys. Too bad the distribution of the game in Slovakia is shit as always.

Very nice to hear there is penetrability implemented.

BTW the "wavy" effect is already in ArmA2 after running a long distance. - I'm 100% sure about that (altough I don't know if it wasn't altered in OA)

Also can someone confirm vehicle FLIR?

It´s there :), M1 / M2 series, Stryker, HMMWV TOW/CROWs ...many have W/B HOT functionality in addition to regular night vision. There are some inconsistencies though, while the (OA) ARMY HMMWV TOW gets thermals, the USMC one i.e. does not. Same for A2 RU vehicles. Although current T-72 and T-90 do have Thermal optics (ESSA/ESSA-72), this is not accounted for.

To keep a long story short: I like it :D

Dont worry guys. You're not missing much....................................................................................................;:mad: .................................................... Ok I lied. It's feckin awsome:p:yay::bounce3::cool:

damm u!!! im going home now. fuck this

I have 2 480 gtx's in sli and they perform ok with this game, say ok because i too get the bad stuttering at times and the game not wanting to fully utilize the cards. On benchmark i have settings all to very high minus AA and view distance to 2000 and get between 53 and 57 as the avg thats with vsynch on.

weird thing is my laptop asus g71 which has quad core and gtx 260m doesnt seem to have the stuttering problems.

Drivers i use are the 257.21, really dont have the time or energy to do massive driver reinstalls to see what works best like arma 2 this game is broken with certain systems and needs a fix like arma2.

Other than that is awesome game the flir is baddass and pretty accurate to what we use in the sandbox.

:)

hello there!

Well, I got my copy of Arrowhead today and I have to say I've got mixed emotions about it.

I allways defended BI against my friends who tried to tell me how bad those games are in terms of bugs and stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game and I'm sure that all those things will be ironed out by BI and the community, but! There are some things that just nearly make me cry and the before mentioned friends laugh at me pretty hard :) :

all vanilla ArmaII units that I tested are unable to carry backpacks. I'd love to take my CDF guys (not the UN dudes) on patrol through Insurgent infested county with rucksacks on their back but can't :( .

Next thing I noticed, is that I didn't notice any handsignals anymore, are they gone or is their use more random now?

Furthermore, tanks seem to think that they are climbers, the higher the mountain the bigger the chance for them to try and go up there, not to mention that they don't like using the roads at all. And while I'm at it,

rearming a tank gave me a real shock: it only refills the current magazine, you remember, like in OFP where you had to keep one round of everything, so that supply trucks were able to reequip you?

apart from those things that expansion is awesome. Honestly.

and finaly, is there a way to report this to the devs? or is there just something wrong with my installation?

I've finally installed and run it for around 30 minutes (played the first campaign mission), just to take a first look. My impressions are not that great so far.

Here is my problems list.

• On my PC Takistan just does not run better than Chernarus (while it has a fraction of the objects). Landscape is dull, poor and barren;
  • Trees and vegetation are just plain horrible, no other words to describe them;
  • AI definetely not improved, as expected. It sometimes suffers of complete "blackouts" so you can just move close to some enemies while they just don't care about you;
  • Clipping problems not solved. In my very first attempt a dead enemy ended graciously clipped in the middle of a wall of the airport tower;

Uhh... even if the HEAT round doesn't physically penetrate the jeep, it should totally destroy it thanks to the explosive packed in the round! More after several explosions!

I have to confess i never drove in a humvee, but i think after a few HEAT rounds from a tank (even if its an older tank with older ammo) it should be left very little of the original shape of the jeep.

edit: looking at wikipedia, the heat (which is a shaped charge with explosives, not pure high explosive, my mistake) rounds from the T55 has a "penetrability" as you called of 390 mm armour.

Edited by Turin Turambar

I've finally installed and run it for around 30 minutes (played the first campaign mission), just to take a first look. My impressions are not that great so far.

• On my PC Takistan just does not run better than Chernarus (while it has a fraction of the objects). Landscape is dull, poor and barren;
  • Trees and vegetation are just plain horrible, no other words to describe them;
  • AI definetely not improved, as expected. It sometimes suffers of complete "blackouts" so you can just move close to some enemies while they just don't care about you;
  • Clipping problems not solved. In my very first attempt a dead enemy ended graciously clipped in the middle of a wall of the airport tower;

Specs? And what version?

• AI definitely not improved, as expected. It sometimes suffers of complete "blackouts" so you can just move close to some enemies while they just don't care about you;

• Well Takistan is based around a dull, poor and barren country.
  • The Operation Arrowhead AI is the same of ArmA 2 with the latest patch applied.
  • Is that such a huge problem? It has always been like that since OFP. The only way I see this problem to be solved is to include some kind of ragdoll into the game but it would have to be realistic not the kind of stuff we see since HL2.

Yes it is very good... but

- the German KSK used the HK P8 (Bundeswehr USP version), not the Glock.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_%26_Koch_USP#Variants

- German voices would be also good :rolleyes:

- Forenames are sometimes wrong written (Kristian -> Christian, Lucas -> Lukas)

The voices for Czech and German units are in English probably for two reasons:

- Realism when communicating with other BLUFOR factions

- Too much work to make new voice commands just for a few units.

Someone? My copy will take a time to get here =(

• The PEQ box lasers make things a bit more interesting.
  • And the thing that surprised me the most was how your character now moves when you are driving or flying, that was so cool even though it was a very minor thing.

Someone? My copy will take a time to get here =(

He means the head movement inside a vehicle. If you accelerate - head moves back, you brake - head moves forward etc