Sign in to follow this  
Markov

Gun alignment - infantry

Weapons can be held left/right/center, is it possible to have a selectable weapon position? For First Person view only of course.

If you wanted the mg in the middle of your view or a rifle in the left arm. Or how about adding a head-lean function, so when firing GPMG's you lean to the right every time you fire, in order to simulate aiming.

This would bridge the gap between, the third, first and optic/aim views, because it would add tilt of the head to weapon firing...just a thought really.

yeah and while we are at it why don't we add a button that makes you bend down and shine your friggin shoes, and of course what game would be complete without the 'scratch ass' button

don't be ridiculous

Well... It would be impossible to do "just" in 1st person.

Because when u see in firstperson, the only thing that happens is... your view moves down to your head... everything else is the same..... this doesnt go for when embarked in a vehicle though...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (GFX707 @ April 20 2002,12:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">or how about a 'gently cup scrotum' function<span id='postcolor'>

You are so damn funny. And furthermore..

I don’t know how I could have suggested more realistic weapons firing in 1st person. What I stupid nimroded idea that is.

It would take a truly off-brand human to think that having a head move into a better position when firing is a low grade idea.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DeathShrimp @ April 20 2002,10:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think the optics view simulates aiming quite well smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

You either can’t read cogent English or you accidentally misinterpreted my words. Too bad. This is a thought that is merely a dwarf among greater improvement ideas and concepts.

C'mon guys.....keep it nice now.

GFX: no need to start slagging off some1 for posting his ideas/suggestions. If you're so damn 1337 at coming up with good improvements to OFP, please post them instead of picking on others, or atleast try to be a bit more constructive in your criticism.

Markov: Your idea sounds good, but like Espectro said, all anims done in 1st p view are also shown in 3rd person view etc.

And I think it might get a bit too clumsy when you have so many controls to worry about when you want to fire your weapon.

so basicly you want to tilt the head so he can look down the iron sights? Well jsut press the v button

I'll state a specific example. You are a Machine Gunner for either West or East. You go prone to fire on enemy infantry. You see the PK or M60 in front of you, and it looks too far to the right.

You don't want to alter your field of vision by going to the extreme iron sites mode, WHICH ELIMINATES THE CROSSHAIR AND DOT. The dot indicates the round kick perfectly in cadet mode with crosshairs on.

So you think, I wish the M60 or PK was more to the center of my vision -- closer to the crosshair and dot -- as to not be so distracting, placing valuable tracking attention of center field onto the M60 or PK muzzle flash at the RIGHT.

Gee'Golly, I do not know how to state it any clearer!

hmm.. *Imagines a soldier lying over his M60/PK and trying to aim it at the same time* lol... that would look rather funny tounge.gif

In real life, you would propably keep your weapon to your right all the time (assuming you are right handed) and when you see your target you put your eye to the gun's ironsight, aim and fire... This is how it works in OFP, only use I could think of for being able to move your gun, is moving it to the left, to simulate a left handed guy. But that would require modifying many of the 1st person weapon models, making all new motion captures for the left handed soldiers (for walking, running, crawling, dying, etc) so I dont think it would be worth the trouble.

Basically i understand what you mean Markov, but i doubt it would be realisable. No game in existance did get the alignment of a weapon right in 1st person view, if they did, you would have a very restricted field of view if not constantly moving the head left and right....in real life you do it with your eyes without much effort, your field of view is much larger.

This is also the point why i could whole heartly do without shown weapons in 1st person view, cause it´s unrealistic either way and only disturbs me.

Besides that the iron sights idea of Flashpoint is pretty much what i ever hoped for in a shooter, although some sights (LAW, CG, Stinger, Tank sights etc.) could use some more realistic looks, that of their RL counterparts.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Markov @ April 20 2002,16:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Weapons can be held left/right/center, is it possible to have a selectable weapon position? For First Person view only of course.

If you wanted the mg in the middle of your view or a rifle in the left arm.  Or how about adding a head-lean function, so when firing GPMG's you lean to the right every time you fire, in order to simulate aiming.

This would bridge the gap between, the third, first and optic/aim views, because it would add tilt of the head to weapon firing...just a thought really.<span id='postcolor'>

If you try to fire an M16 or AK left-handed, be prepared for some real unpleasantness.

I don't care that there is a brass deflector on M16s, for example, you'll still either get hit in the face with hot brass, or be so freaked out by the hot gases and spent brass flying close by your face that you never want to repeat the experience.

There is a small number of M16s that had their ejection port on the left, and either switched or ambidextorous controls, but these never made it to general issue.

Some rifles address the problem of left-handed shooters in a radically different way -- they eject the spent brass down or front.

Flashpoint has the BEST weapons view in any game ever made IMHO. It has no graphic overlay like every other FPS out there that shows the gun protruding from your face. Also since FP's view is always 3rd person (w/ moveable camera) your weapon models interact with the environment better. The optical view is great for aiming and I like it better than the R6 series because there is NO obstruction of your view in those games so it looks like you are always zoomed in. I hope more games go the route of FP.

I would like to thank all of you that presented constructive views on this matter.

BTW, I happen to need left handed weapons IRL. Hehe.

Markov, you said you didn't like the fact that going into the sight view eliminates the dot-type crosshair...So why don't you just not going into the sight view and just keep with the dot?

If you want to try a game and see how using the iron sights on the 3d model interact and the limitations on a computer screen, try Inflitration for Unreal Tournament. No magic crosshairs, just the sights on the gun and it's hard. You can really see how the comp screen is limited.

COLINMAN