Sign in to follow this  
sethos

Catalyst 10.6 seems to be causing problems!

Hey there,

I recently re-installed Windows 7, just to get a clean slate going and that

was right after the Catalyst 10.6 drivers were released. I had some initial problems with these drivers, like they crashed and recovered during Flash playback ( These drivers added GPU-accelerated flash support ) and a few people on various forums reported similar problems.

Luckily it only happened once and I had no issues with these drivers elsewhere.

Now, yesterday I installed and updated ArmA II in time for Operation Arrowhead and to be frank, never had this many problems getting the game going.

It feels completely unstable, I can barely start the game at this point as it will remain sort of 'frozen' in the taskbar, in some minimized state. If I do happen to get past that point, the game might freeze or minimize yet again when browsing the menus, the in-game framerate has dipped below the unbearable and my game has always been running smooth ( especially after turning of HT ).

Now, I was unsure whether the drivers were the issue until Windows 7 threw up a BSOD, yes, a BSOD in Windows 7 - That's like the second time in my entire Windows 7 usage period its done that and the error was part of the ATI(kmag or something ).sys ... So it's definitely a driver issue.

So anyone else experiencing these issues with the 10.6s, especially 4xxxx users, myself I'm on a 4870X2.

I could downgrade but I'd rather troubleshoot and pinpoint the issue because it may be a bug in the drivers, may also be a permanent issue tied to the recent development of the drivers, so would be nice to pinpoint the issue.

Thanks

Hey,

I had big problems with the 10.6 Catalyst drivers and Flash version 10.1

For me, whenever any page opened up that used flash, it was an instant BSOD!!

I tried uninstalling 10.6 and using 10.5, used driver sweeper in between uninstalls of drivers. If I uninstalled all Catalyst and looked at a web page that had flash content (using default windows drivers) it worked fine. As soon as 10.6 was put on, BSOD.

I uninstalled Flash 10.1 and re-installed without it making a difference, still BSOD every time.

I did run Arma 2 and didn't notice any probs though so not sure if this is/could be related or not.

The only thing that worked for me was to track down the old 10.0.45 Flash exe and run that. As soon as that was installed again, no more BSOD...

Something for you to try to see if it makes a diff maybe.

Edited by sinx

I have installed 10.6 (8.741) since its release and cannot say, that it make problems in arma.-Performance is equal to the previous one in the whole for me.

Are you sure you made a clean de-install of the old one before you installed the new driver?

- Be sure you use the crossfire-profiles. Don´t know if this is important for arma, but in general, it gives you more performance if youre running 2 single-gpu cards or a double-gpu card (like in your case).

10.6 gave me a lot of BSOD's for some reason. Rolled back to 10.5 and so far its been OK. I'm using a Sapphire 4870.

So I did a lot of testing, trying out various graphical options and changing the launch parameters of Arma II, to see whether the issue was purely driver related or could be traced to a specific graphical option or setting.

I tried to play some DIRT 2 which was also suffering from low performance, then I knew the drivers were just botched, especially for my card.

So I rolled back to 10.5 started up Dirt, ran perfectly. Started up ArmA II and it was smooth as ever with no problems.

So bottom line, there's something wrong with the 10.6 drivers, hopefully they'll have it sorted by 10.7