Sign in to follow this  
jonneymendoza

Headset (£60 max)

Hi, im looking for a new gaming headset for my pc and was wondering what ones you guys recommend for good sound and mic quality.

so far i came across these two headsets http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2007/...head_to_head/1

I have had a Sennheiser before but it broke. i was however, very happy with the sound quality and mic on it though so would not mind buying another one from that brand. However, that Creative one sounds like its as good as Sennheiser but half the price of it.

I have also looked that those ubber expensive ones with 5.1/7.1 surround sound thats powered by the mains and can connect via optic out on consoles as well as a AV reciver. At the back of my mobo i do have a optic out connection so that could be handy for that but the price of these headphones seems to cost more than a console!

What you guys think? Cheers in advance.

edit: can a mod delete this thread as it was in the wrong place http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=1657580#post1657580

Ive got a Roccat KAVE... 5.1 Surround sound. I got mine on a deal For £62 form Ebuyer but they are now going for £76.

If you can strech that far i would really recommend them. Good build quality, prefect sound reproduction with no distortion right up to silly volumes.

I use Medusa 5.1 surround sound. Excellent phones. Had them about five years with no probs.

I've using a set of Roccat KAVE for about 4 months,and i must say im really impressed with them. If you can stretch your budget and get them,you will not be disappointed.

I'm using Medusa 5.1 too (don't get USB version)

No complaints... (well ARMA2 5.1 is not great but hopefully its improved in OA ;))

Edited by EDcase

Looks over the top to me.

Just look for a few other reviews.

That review says the cable from headset to volume box is too short.

Edited by EDcase

Personally I say "Table microphone attached up-side down with double-sided tape to the shelf above my computer screen, and sound on the speakers."

A table microphone for €10 has better input quality than any headset you can find under €100.

Guess I'm blessed living alone, so I don't need to have a headset since I'm not disturbing anyone else ^^

Personally I say "Table microphone attached up-side down with double-sided tape to the shelf above my computer screen, and sound on the speakers."

A table microphone for €10 has better input quality than any headset you can find under €100.

Guess I'm blessed living alone, so I don't need to have a headset since I'm not disturbing anyone else ^^

but if your volume is high then people will hear you play from your mic

but if your volume is high then people will hear you play from your mic

Push-to-talk. And if there's noise when you are transmitting anyway.. well.. welcome to more immersion ;)

I use Medusa 5.1 surround sound. Excellent phones. Had them about five years with no probs.

For robustness of the cables, comfort factor on prolonged gaming sessions and sound quality for both the mic output and the earphones I would defintely go for the medusa too (Stay away from the USB version).

Stay away from any headset that doesnt plug into your sound card, dont bother with any that runs the sound through USB.

The biggest problems I have had with most headsets that I have tried over the years (and as i have been a gamer for many years now and I only use a headset, never speakers, I am defintely speaking from experience) is the weakness of the cable that is connected to the headset. Even the medusa imho has weaker cables than is required to cope with the constant tugging and pulling that eventually weakens the frail wires within and the medusa has the strongest cables of the lot.

I too have had mine for about 5 years now and they are just starting to show signs of wear

I've got a Medusa 5.1 headset myself and I can absolutely vouch for its quality.

Having said that the rear speakers leave something to be desired and it took more than a little mucking about with drivers to get the rumble/vibration feature working on my SB Audigy2 card.

Even so the overall quality is excellent, comfort is great, and robustness quite adequate. (I've had my Medusa for 3 years of LAN'ing and daily usage)

-k

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-HS-1100-Detachable-Noise-Cancelling-Microphone/dp/B002SW3HOO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1277453469&sr=8-1

just bought a set of these - ok its £5 over your budget but thats very minor, and im sure you could find em cheaper....

theyre awesome. Theres also a non-usb version in the fatality lineup which im sure will cost a bit less too.

Edit: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-Fatal1ty-Detachable-Noise-Cancelling-Microphone/dp/B002L16KXC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1277453541&sr=1-3

This review did it for me: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/peripherals/2010/01/03/the-best-gaming-headset/3

Edited by TimRiceSE

Sennheiser 350's, 555's or 595's are much better than Medusa's. How do I know this, because I've had 3 pairs of Medusa's over the years and bought the gimmick of 5.1. A good stereo headset with a good soundcard is much better than any so called 5.1 Headset. The G35 is nice, but for that price you can get more value for money by buying Sennheiser.

Roccat KAVE, no doubt about it. Ive tried the Medusa'a in the past, they're nice but only having a plastic hinge for the folding speakers, means if u drop them a couple of time (like i did) or after extended use you could see the plasic snap. The KAVE's on the other hand the inge is made from solid metal and not to mention just the overall superiority in sound quality.

Had some problem as Shadow.D. with my KOSS SB/45. Good fit, quite good mic, good sound, but the construction on the hinges made it eventually crack, and due to very well glued screws it was nothing that could be repaired :(

I had one of the original Medusa 5.1 headsets and loved it (even though my first 2 were DOA and the third one worked finally). However, the mic ended up dying on me about 20 months after buying it, followed shortly by the casing for the volume adjustment falling apart. It was taken care of while I owned it, and I had no kids or pets at the time. A few months ago I decided I'd give them another shot. When they showed up it was defective. The rear left speaker was completely shot. Just to double check I tried my previous 5.1 headset. No problems there, so it was another QC issue. I said screw it and sent them back for a refund with the decision to go cheaper.

I've been using this headset for about 3 months now based on the reviews for it, and I'm pretty happy so far. As long as it doesn't fall apart or my kid doesn't get her hands on it I'll continue using it and swear by them. I got them on sale for $30 a while back, although usually they go for around $60-$70. They're not 5.1, but using a proper sound card the issue really is moot because the difference when using a stereo and good 5.1 headset is close to nil.

No headset is true 5.1, its an emulation and sound trickery to make your head think it is. Don't be lured into the trap :)

No headset is true 5.1, its an emulation and sound trickery to make your head think it is. Don't be lured into the trap :)

But if it is percieved as 5.1, what's the real difference? Just because it's not 5 directional speakers + bass, but emulates the effect thereof, does it make it less 5.1?

so why do some headphones have 3 speakers on each side then?

All i know is that any setup that has and uses 6+ speakers all outputing different sound channels, its 5.1/7.1 surround sound