Sign in to follow this  
fasterthanlight

Constant stutter

Hello everyone!

I have an e8400 with 4gb of RAM, but I am only using 3GB due to ARMA 1 and that issue where you can't see the menu screens.

I have an ATI 5850, but I have a Dell 30", so 2560x1600 for resolution.

I have dumbed everything down and I have even dropped the resolution, but I am still getting a stutter every half second and it makes this unplayable.

I have update 10.5 Cat drivers so this may not be the issue.

Help please...?

What is the amount of Vidmem on the 5850? Set textures to Low and Video Memory to Very High or Default for starters. At that resolution arma will be throwing massive chunks of textures down your pipeline. :D

If the above doesn't help, lower the res to 19x12 along with the above-mentioned steps.

Cat 10.6 is out.

With a Dell 30", it's Native Res is 2560x1600 and if lowered in game, it is horrible! Blurred to hell. Kinda looks like PP x10!

His issue has to be something other than the Dell, mine works with minimal stutters.

Make sure the HD is defragged (preferably with a good program like UltimateDefrag)

Sorry but you will never get good fps running at 2560x1600 with an e8400 and ATI 5850

Realistically I would suggest using a resolution not higher than 1600x1024.

Edited by EDcase

It is the 1GB ATI 5850. I really thought that would be enough. :)

I do this; Start game, load up all the intros, get to the menu (even it chops).

I choose MP, and do NEW LAN, edit my current custom map, load it up.

Whether I choose 852x650 (whatever it is) and everything on low, it will stutter.

Interestingly enough, when I crank up the details to very high with 100% resolution, it chops, but only a little more.

You are right, any other resolution besides native make it look very fuzzy. :mad:

The nice thing is when it chops and slows down, at least the detail on 2560 is utterly amazing. :)

I've had stutters like these due to jqs.exe (java quick start) and google update services. Also long time ago (Arma1), I would have extreme stutters due to USB configuration/resource management.

good thought. I will have to see what else is running during this. I seem to think that my machine is good, but I don't know for sure.

Anyone know how to disable the intro videos like you could in BF2?

Anyone know how to disable the intro videos like you could in BF2?

Startup parameter: -nosplash

Won't make it start up any faster though (those splash screens just conceal the fact that it's loading).

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma2:_Startup_Parameters knows alot.

To get rid of (micro)stutter i did the following, all together, in no particular order:

(did´nt care about the exact reason of stuttering)

• deleted arma2.cfg (recreates itself, but clean/updated)
  • defragged game partition (a must for streaming intensive games)
  • disabled physx in nvidia control panel (read it´ll help)
  • started using beta patches (currently 71382 installed)
  • started restarting ArmA 2 after each GFX Option change that results in 'receiving' (i.e. Texture Quality, AA, Shadows, PP)
  • stopped using -window parameter for anything else than mission making (somehow arma doesn´t like -window anymore)

FPS is still the same, ranging from 20 to xUltimo, but now it runs fluent too :turn:

edit:

Won't make it start up any faster though (those splash screens just conceal the fact that it's loading).

One of, if not THE, #1 OFP/ArmA Myth above all others :D

Edited by Mr Burns

I tried that pcmedix program. It reported that I had nothing running like I thought. I did however, see taskhost.exe running at ~50% cpu. I killed it and all the chop went away. Also the last settings were on all high at 2560x1600. So it was cpu bottleneck. It keeps coming back, but I can just end the process.

I did the -nosplash and it works very well. It does take off 30 seconds of intro and load time.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Hey everyone,

Sorry about resurrecting a dusty ol' thread here, but has anyone who played the game recently come across this issue? I hadn't played for a while (been mostly on Heart of the Swarm and XCOM. The latter is so addictive! :-P ) but when I decided to get back to it today, I find it unplayable, as the animation keeps stuttering, as described by the OP. Heck! Even the NVidia logo at the beginning does that! It sure didn't do that the last time I played.

My config hasn't change since last time, aside for two things : 1- NVidia drivers have been updated. Game was at 1.02 when I last played and now, it is at 1.05. So far, here is what I've tried :

* Stopped every non-essential services and background tasks.

* lowered game visual settings to minimum.

* reverted my GPU clock to its default speed.

Anyone who could provide me with some insights, I would greatly appreciate! I've been eager for the last few days to get back to this game but now, this is quite disappointing... Here are my current system specs :

- Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

- Intel Q8400 Quad Core @3.44 GHz

- 8 Gb Kingston HyperX DDR2

- EVGA GTX 580 SC, 1368 Gb GDDR5 (drivers : 320.18)

- 4x Seagate Barracuda 500Gb, 7200.12, mounted in RAID 5

- Creative Lab X-Fi Fatal1ty Professional Series

Thanks again in advance

---------- Post added at 19:11 ---------- Previous post was at 19:10 ----------

Sorry. Forget my previous post. Wrong game!