Sign in to follow this  
shezan74

Save My Ax 0.9 released

Well... following my purposes to release tools i'm making for my own use to the community i'm releasing now a small tool i've created.

The tools is made to help you in versioning (and having backups of your works) while you're running with Visitor3 and it (unfortunately) stops working (or you screw something... it happens usually to me...)

EDIT:

It's called "SaveMyProject". Download @ page 2.

savemyax1.png

What the program does:

- It will keep an eye on your PEW file and save it every X minutes.

- It will keep an eye on your configuration files (CPP and HPP) into your config folder.

savemyax2.png

There are some options to help you in folder decluttering and avoiding hd space wasting:

savemyax3.png

Options can control backup timings, split your backups in different folders (by date) and backup a file each time or only if file has changed (i don't know why someone could want to grow his HD with the same file, but maybe exists...)

There is a maintenance feature too, that allow you to remove old files (in multiple folder or in the main backup folder) and keep (or not) the "_LASTFILE" in the historic folder.

_LASTFILE contains the LAST saved file, for each file type, separated in "manual backup requests" and "automatic backup requests".

Small suggestion:

This program will clear backup folders if files are old.

Use the "remove backups" option with attention and until you aren't confident with the application, save backups far far away from your source folders :)

I WILL not accept any responsability on misuse of this software. Software is provided AS IS, and no warranties are provided.

Anyway... it works on my PC.

Edited by shezan74

WOW

Cool application! Thanks shezan74.

I know what you Ax is, but I was thinkin savemypew had a better ring, plus more intuitive about what the program is for

Edited by [APS]Gnat

Gnat;1653947']

I know what you Ax is' date=' but I was thinkin savemypew had a better ring, plus more intuitive about what the program is for[/size']

Yes, this is the reason for release 0.9 :)

I will contacr armaholic for publishing after some testings and (if needed for other peoples) feature suggestions by forum users with final name and release 1 :)

Savemyax was in use by me since some days, and was not initially planned for release (who could be interested in this?). Name was born one night when i've decided i need something that allow me to avoid wasting 3 hours for an unsaved (i'm only trying...) Work for a ctrl-z crash after import...

Fair enough.

1 suggestion that would make it usable for a broader population, add a P3D and model.cfg file option along with PEW and config so that its usable by us addon makers.

BTW, its config.cpp you mean right? Not config.cfg ?

Cheers.

Yep! Cpp! Was a Typo :)

For other kind of projects i need to know what should be saved, if a group of named files, a folder...

model.cfg - will be in the root of the project folder

xxxxx.p3d - unfortuately could be 1 or more anywhere in the project folder/sub-folders

Wwow dude! this is what I always wanted :notworthy: I just hope it doesn't delete or damage my original .pew file :laugh: you guys sure this wont happen?

Anyway very nice tool, would be excellent if it could backup other files like .p3d and .paa for Oxygen 2 :smile:

Ah just as I was about to realease my tool aswell, does exact same thing, damn lol.

Ah just as I was about to realease my tool aswell, does exact same thing, damn lol.

You're welcome Christie.

my tool was made for my needs and was released for everyone needs, but this doesn't prevent you from releasing your one... And if it's better than mine i will adopt your one for sure :p

@Martin:

I'm using the File.Copy command of .NET framework.

File.Copy opens the file in ReadOnly mode, that means that another

application that has the file open, must have done this for shared read

access. If another application has opened the file in exclusive mode (no

shared read), File.Copy will fail.

During my tests i noticed the .pew file is no locked by visitor3 at all.

I've tried to make manual backups during the V3 project saving and all goes fine for me.

@OChristie: how you did the work? did you manage concurrent write from V3 and read from your application?

@Martin:

I'm using the File.Copy command of .NET framework.

File.Copy opens the file in ReadOnly mode, that means that another

application that has the file open, must have done this for shared read

access. If another application has opened the file in exclusive mode (no

shared read), File.Copy will fail.

That made me feel better :sun: Still tough I will sometimes make manual backups of the island for some time just to make sure everything work ok. I'm not saying the tool is bad because it's really good, I've been waiting for something like this since OFP and the interference is nice too but you can never be too careful especially with a file that takes so long to create, you never know what might happen, especially on Windows :smile:

Don't worry and release it, its never bad to have a selection of more tools for the same job.

Nice work guys! :wink_o:

Martin, placing a fence with world tool is an operation i can rollback, so i'm confident on it. Loosing a pew is not the same thing.

I personally make manual backups every end of working day, manually, on another device (usb key) that i'm keeping detached from pc.

Next release will make an optional audible message before saving, to inform you that save operation will be started soon.

Software is perfect, programmers no :)

Shezan thanks for saving my ax:) lol now time to hit up your world tools. I'll probly have questions on that soon!

Software is perfect, programmers no

That's true :smile: the computer only does exactly what you tell it to do. Already today your tool saved me about 3 hours of work because I was placing lots of objects and forgot to save but your tool saved it for me.

I don't know how I can thank you man, have a beer on me dude :cheers:

Well.

Release 1.0 has been gone gold here

What software does.

- Keep your sources under backup, by recreating the real project structure of your work. The application will explore your project structure every X minutes (configurable) and save all MODIFIED files into your backup folder, keeping original file path (under backup folder).

- Works on a customizable set of extensions, starting by the project root folder

- Supports Oxygen and Visitor3 projects (concurrently), but can be used to keep safe your missions too, by configuring the right root folder and extensions (Oxygen or Visitor3 window can be used at your choice).

- Files are organized in folders by date / time. No renaming will be done on the files.

- Only updated files will be copied. By making a backup folder copy over your project folder you can rollback the situation.

- First save of the day will be FULL (every file on the configured extensions list will be saved). Subsequent backups will be only relative to changed files.

- MANUAL save will be FULL in any case.

- This application DOESN'T replace your daily FULL backup. DO IT on different devices, usb keys and keep them away from lightning, ants, hurricanes, earthquakes and your childrens! :)

- Audible reminders (configurable) that inform you 1 minute before, 15 seconds before and just after backup operation.

- Right click menu on systray bar for fast start/stop/manual backups.

TO ALL OXYGEN USERS: I've worked on simulated environment. Please do some testings and let me know before i'll release to the extended community outside of there. Thank you in advance.

TO ALL PREVIOUS USERS: I've removed the auto-delete feature that will create a lot of pain. Now the backup maintenance is up to you.

savemyproject1.png

savemyproject2.png

savemyproject3.png

savemyproject4.png

Edited by shezan74

Visitor 3 backup works very well I'm very pleased with it, I think that there is not much that can be improved for this except you could add a feature which the user can turn on or off which would add a message box that asks "Your island will now be saved, do you want to continue or save later?" and then YES/NO buttons to save or to wait another X minutes before asking again (the user can set the X minutes to ask just like for the backup) because sometimes I edit terrain very much using Bulldozer so I don't save the island so if I f-it up I can close and open the .pew again, if the tool saved the island for me when the terrain is not how I want it it could damage the whole project :smile:

Here is now the GUI could look:

guiv.png

For Oxygen backup, there is not much to improve too but you could make it so the user can backup more projects like 3 or 4 simultaneously because it might become a pain to change the path to the project you are working on every time.

Overall excellent tool, thanks for your hand work :cheers: I already know this will save my AX a lot of times in the future :laugh:

Edited by -Martin-

this except you could add a feature which the user can turn on or off which would add a message box that asks "Your island will now be saved, do you want to continue or save later?"

Martin, the program doesn't save your work for you while you're working.

The program will save your saved files. If you don't save the project file the application will skip all files until the next trip. If you never save your project nothing will be saved in your backup folder.

So saving your project is up to you, when you're ready to do this and your bulldozer is ok. S.Y.P. will only place your saved files in a safe place for further rollback.

For Oxygen backup, there is not much to improve too but you could make it so the user can backup more projects like 3 or 4 simultaneously because it might become a pain to change the path to the project you are working on every time.

Damn... multiple saves? ok, noted for release 1.1 ;)

I took note about the "do you want to backup files?" question too.

Overall excellent tool, thanks for your hand work :cheers: I already know this will save my AX a lot of times in the future :laugh:

Thank you, i'm happy to have a beer credit somewhere :)

Martin, the program doesn't save your work for you while you're working.

The program will save your saved files. If you don't save the project file the application will skip all files until the next trip. If you never save your project nothing will be saved in your backup folder.

So saving your project is up to you, when you're ready to do this and your bulldozer is ok. S.Y.P. will only place your saved files in a safe place for further rollback.

Oh damn :blush: I think I need to stop drinking that Russian vodka :laugh: well the saving when working thing inst a bad idea tough if think about it :smile:

I guess if you want you could put that in there but the tool is already great as it is :yay: I wish more people would leave their thoughts about it too

FoxHound has published SaveMyProject on Armaholic.

Links updated and available here

Thank you Fox ;)