Sign in to follow this  
WillaCHilla

New beta build 71548 up

After testing the new beta in different coops at the weekend, I noticed massive stuttering after 2 hours of playing a mission which is getting worse the longer I play at this point. Especially in cities with a lot of textures I get this effect.

Even so, the game runs stable, so no CTD. Before this effect is happening, the game runs fast and without any stuttering (better than the older betas) as already mentioned.

At first, I thought its the new GPU-driver (10.6), so I reverted to 10.4a which runs smooth and stable for a month before the new one came out.-No Difference here.

Creating a repro-mission for this problem is not easy, cause it will only happen after longer gaming (~ 2 hours).

hardware/settings:- listed in my signature (video memory: default, terrain detail: normal)

starting parameters:

-mod=beta "-name=[EC] WillaCHilla" -nosplash -world=Chernarus

Page file enabled on another partition (not the one where arma² or win is located, 4093mb). System runs (prime)stable.

After testing the new beta in different coops at the weekend, I noticed massive stuttering after 2 hours of playing a mission which is getting worse the longer I play at this point. Especially in cities with a lot of textures I get this effect.

I had no problems yesterday at the Charlie Foxtrot scrim - approx. 20v20 PvP over three hours. I was even recording with Fraps occasionally - no framerate problems whatsoever.

I've installed ARMA II on other than C:.... i.e on L drive, I get following msg when I try to install beta patch "Arma II is not installed on your computer or installation is corrupt"

I do I fix this?

Hi everyone.

Maybe you would like to try this tool:

http://www.musikbanken.se/TechLaaTiDo.aspx

With it you can make arma LAA and it says my arma2.exe is now largeadressaware. :yay:

Haven't time to test it now in depth. I started the game and loaded a mission. Everything seems to work. I switched to the taskmanager where arma2.exe is using 600 megs of ram???

I'll check that later. So far no crashes but no performance gain in the 2 minutes of short testing.

I also gets stutters after a while, plays perfect at start 35-50fps (mp doomi) but after while i get theese stutters, some times fps goes down to 5-10 and a -flush will cure that but fps stays then at 20-25fps with stutters. A restart will bring game up to the 35-50 again.

This seems to occour faster if i fly, than if i stay on the ground.

My stuttering is severely worse with this beta.I also get a weird 30 seconds when I first spawn where the fps is pegged at around 30 and the ground textures flash.I have a ramdrive installed.Deleted it and same thing happens.Is this LAA stuff we are getting gonna benefit xp32bit with more than 4gb ram?I only read statements saying it helps 64bit systems to not get out of memory errors.

My stuttering is severely worse with this beta.I also get a weird 30 seconds when I first spawn where the fps is pegged at around 30 and the ground textures flash.I have a ramdrive installed.Deleted it and same thing happens.

Try

-world=Chernarus

if youre playing this island generally. Should help you not to get flashing ground-textures or big FPS-decreases if you spawn on a "new" location.

Disadvantage of this parameter is a longer loading-time till the main-menu appears (but the loading time of a mission is much more faster).

Is this LAA stuff we are getting gonna benefit xp32bit with more than 4gb ram?I only read statements saying it helps 64bit systems to not get out of memory errors.

AFAIK it is possible to use more than 3GB, 3,5GB on a 32bit system with some tweaks (read it in another tread), but by default, youre not able to use more than 3,5 GB.

If you're running a 32bit OS with >4GB RAM then you're doing something wrong - unless of course you're using the rest as a RAM drive. ;)

It is basically impossible for Arma2 to access more than 3GB of RAM on 32bit XP systems, even with large address awareness. (See this article on MSDN.)

Im using ATI Catalyst 10.6

At a loss.

You seem to have everything set up pretty much as I do. Three real differences: -I set textures/object detail to v.high/high. -I stuck with Catalyst 10.5 after hearing bad things about 10.6 and Crossfire, but WillaCHilla says he's reverted without losing the stutter (mind you, ATI drivers always were a bitch to roll back effectively). -I always get sick of the problems post processing creates for my system and turn it off after about 5 minutes of trying it.

Would it be against the rules to post the modified .exe file? Since there's no copy protection anyway, seems like it would be okay. I tried to figure out the binary editing and couldn't do it so it might be nice to have to test for people like me. :cool:

Frankly, you'd be as quick to use Latido to alter the file yourself. Be aware that this doesn't mean that A2 will suddenly use 4 gigs of RAM. Felt like another performance improvement to me, though.

- Edit, NRg, you're right, I suppose. Common sense presumes that a disclaimer is implicit, but Latido is just as easy to use, so... use it. Hate the modern way that everybody is responsible for your actions except yourself, though.

Edited by Richey79
Taking NoRailgunner's advice

MavericK96, Richey79 read forum rule §3 - such things can get quickly out of your hands. Who is responsible if something goes wrong? You, BIS, forum moderators or people using it??

Try
-world=Chernarus

if youre playing this island generally. Should help you not to get flashing ground-textures or big FPS-decreases if you spawn on a "new" location.

Disadvantage of this parameter is a longer loading-time till the main-menu appears (but the loading time of a mission is much more faster).

AFAIK it is possible to use more than 3GB, 3,5GB on a 32bit system with some tweaks (read it in another tread), but by default, youre not able to use more than 3,5 GB.

Tried -world=Chernarus and still the same.What I failed to mention before is that the main screen would always come up blue as if your under water and with this tweak its back to the normal menu background.Don't know if that makes a difference.

So the tweaks for the 64bit group benefits them.Thats kool at least they are helping where they can.Whats weird is my ramdrive doesn't really make a difference compared to my SSD or USB flash.The only way to remove the stutter for me is to drop VD way down to minimum.I am ready to return the extra ram I purchased as that 100dollars can go towards other things.Thanks fellas for the help.

Tried -world=Chernarus and still the same.What I failed to mention before is that the main screen would always come up blue as if your under water and with this tweak its back to the normal menu background.Don't know if that makes a difference.

So the tweaks for the 64bit group benefits them.Thats kool at least they are helping where they can.Whats weird is my ramdrive doesn't really make a difference compared to my SSD or USB flash.The only way to remove the stutter for me is to drop VD way down to minimum.I am ready to return the extra ram I purchased as that 100dollars can go towards other things.Thanks fellas for the help.

Just switch to Win7 x64 like the rest of us. Well worth it.

I might have to do that.I guess the memory stays since If I do upgrade I'll then be able to use it.So Win7 pro or home?Also how many fps does downgradingto win7 net you from XP?

Edited by Wolfstriked

Just switch to Win7 x64 like the rest of us. Well worth it.

I agree that 64-bit OS may be the future but remember that not everyone can or wan't to upgrade to Win 7 just yet...

In my case it would mean that I would lose my belowed TM FLCS/TQS HOTAS since MS decided to drop the gameport support since Vista and I need them to fly in A2 as well as DCS:BS/FC2/F4/IL2.

Yes, my HOTAS are old but they works perfectly fine and flying above mentioned sims without HOTAS is not an option for me...

/KC

I might have to do that.I guess the memory stays since If I do upgrade I'll then be able to use it.So Win7 pro or home?Also how many fps does downgradingto win7 net you from XP?

In my case, FPS did not change from XP SP3 to Win7 64 Home.

wow! LOD popping is almost non-existent; and with the exthreads parameter, it's really been an improvement for performance! Thanks again BIS! I still maintain 30-40 with dips in the 20's (as with 1.05/previous betas); but silky smooth and very playable

wow! LOD popping is almost non-existent

^^ This. It's awesome. :)

Playing the game is just so much more enjoyable now that LOD popping is no longer an issue. The only thing missing to make this perfect is a more fluent LOD switching - or fade in/out - for the grass clutter while moving around. Implement that and I'm sure a lot of peeps will cream their knickers with joy.

Still have this sky flickering (z-fighting?) and visible switching from low to high textures on trees and buildings. Sometimes its even worse if I quickly turn around in bigger towns the buildings have a single colored texture.

Only looking at the stats - last two previous beta builds had 2-3 fps more and with this Chernogorsk testmission (@DevHeaven) there were also +200frames more in 55 seconds.

I know default benchmark mission is not the best way to tell how Arma2 performs, but these are my findings:

Benchamark #1

1.05 patch - average fps: 26

beta 71548 - average fps: 31

I don't know what those BIS guys are doing, but they're doin' it right. :)

Still have this sky flickering (z-fighting?) and visible switching from low to high textures on trees and buildings. Sometimes its even worse if I quickly turn around in bigger towns the buildings have a single colored texture.

Only looking at the stats - last two previous beta builds had 2-3 fps more and with this Chernogorsk testmission (@DevHeaven) there were also +200frames more in 55 seconds.

I think you mean this problem:

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/8072

I thinks since this cahnge:

[70663] New: Weather config values "size" and "height" for better control over the cloud layer. Default values: size = 1.0; height = max(bright,0.6)

the sky texture change all the time...

before the sky texture flickers only by and after a heavy fighting.

Would you by chance be on XP?

For this beta, tests are all over the place. Posting numbers would be pointless as there's no consistency whatsoever. I"ll list each one and my conclusions (10 hours of beta testing this patch, all at 3500 meter distance each test run 3 or 4 times, and used the editor and the massive Utes battle):

* Scenario Benchmark 1 - seeing microlag unlike last beta, same average fps.

* Scenario Benchmark 2 - seeing microlag unlike last beta, same average fps.

* OFPMark - Seeing hesitations in the capsule drop I didn't see in the previous beta.

* Chernogorsk City Benchmark - Massive dips in minimum frame rate (seen in half the tests) and 10% decrease in average frame rate.

* My Helo Bench - Average fps is down 10% again, stutter and lag is evident half the time I run the benchmark.

* My Jet Bench - Performance is dramatically increased. Very smooth, performance up 10%.

From here on, I devised a new benchmark that is a tank driving through Chernogorsk for 4 minutes. Half the time it runs fine, but when I've run the game for a bit OR used time compression it can stagger down to just 8 fps (as opposed to the 30fps I was getting). When it does this all objects remain low value LOD's and buildings look like toy blocks. The game barely moves and its evident something has gone wrong. I have to exit the game and restart. This is the first beta I've had this problem.

Overall - hesitations and lag are up... except when streaking across the countryside in a jet. On this rig "Beta v71275 -exThreads=7" was better all around... except my jet test.

System Specs:

* Windows 7 - 64-bit

* Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz overclocked to 4.3 GHz stable

* Asus P6X58D Premium Motherboard BIOS v.0703

* G.Skill DDR3 2000 in Triple Channel Mode - 6 Gig

* NVidia GeForce GTX 480 Driver v197.75

* PCIe Titanium Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatality

* Planar PX2611W 26" widescreen LCD

* Win7/Boot drive on 80 Gig Intel X25M SSD

* ArmA2 installed by itself on second 80 Gig Intel X25M SSD

Note: the varying performance numbers people are reporting - some see this beta as faster, some see it stable, some say its slower... it all depends on how long they've been running the game and what they're doing in the game. People need to report this as those that run a single test and say "It's faster!" are not providing reliable data.

Edited by jpinard

I too have found this patch offers significant improvements to smoothness when tracking, panning, flying etc even on my 2.85Ghz dual-core. Playing on a dedicated server (with no AI under my control) I perceive only a very minor cost in terms of framerate (1-2 fps, a worthwhile trade). I do however find the framerate cost MUCH more noticeable when I run the same mission locally. I suppose this might be because my second core no longer has the same capacity to deal with AI as it does without the patch though I'd have thought it was the AI behaviour that would slowdown rather than rendering. Sorry I haven't included any numbers but what I'm describing is very obvious and very consistent on my rig. Based on my experience it's a bit of a mixed bag for dual-cores and a great deal worse if you play mainly SP (which I don't).

wow! LOD popping is almost non-existent

What do you guys mean by "LOD popping" exactly? Because I still get sudden shifts between low/high LODs as per the usual with ArmA2.