Sign in to follow this  
WillaCHilla

New beta build 71548 up

BI - During intense battles I'm getting sound anomolies. Maybe this is (WAI) working as intended, but is very noticeable when the jet or helos arrive and fly overhead. The sound clips in too late and sounds odd. You can test this by loading up this mission: http://www.jeffpinard.com/FPS_Test_Huge_5d.utes.zip

Notes about the mission:

* 300+ units

* The unit you control in the test is invulnerable. Idea being, just stay in the middle and rotate slowly to hear the sound that cuts in incorrectly. You may need to move him back to his starting point as blasts blow him around a bit.

* Just to clarify, the sound issue I'm referring to is not the normal close blast percussive effect, nor bomb blasts. It is the effect of sound suddenly clipping in/out because many sounds are playing at the same time - but is most noticeble with the aircraft overhead.

* If this is WIA, please let me know and I'll stop reporting.

* Would it be possible to increase the number of simultaneous sounds? That would probably fix this issue.

----edit----

Here's a Youtube video with the issue (turn volume up loud & watch in 1080P). As the Helo comes in the sound should start much earlier... instead it cuts in when it as it is already passing overhead. Once the sound starts doing this - it gets worse until a battle is reloaded.

All the other helos sounded proper up until this point.

Edited by jpinard

Game runs smoother , load smoother on the battlefield , but i still get the random CTDs for no reason , not warning no error message , just shuts down even when im getting a steady 42 FPS and no glitches , just closes down.

Im not being mean or anything , but PLEASE god release operation arrowhead in a ready state and i have my fingers crossed that the game wont crash like this one does. Please please please release a decently ready game , every single company that has released a game in the past two years have half assed it , please do this one right. :/

Edited by milkyway12

@Jpinard

Im not suggesting its this 100% but you might be experiencing audio channel cut out due to so much happening at once, might be card related (or even arma engine as standard hitting a limit). I say this because thunder for me can cut out reload sounds ... I know wierd but what you posted is acting just the same just with a different sound being effected in this case the heli cutting out.

Have you tried the same with less AI running? Hows the heli then / with no other ai?

since last beta(s) by default

if game detects you have quadcore it will use -cpuCount=4 and -exThreads=7 (for dualcore it's 2 and 0)

maxMem by default use 0.5 to 1.5GB memory as needed

OK. So I have set my maxmem to 1.5gb;

-maxmem=1536

Is that correct?

And also, I have quadcore CPU, so I guess I dont have to worry about exThreads and cpuCount.

----------------------

So far I havent seen much improvement on this beta release; In forest areas I get a very steady 60fps (how it should be), but then as soon as I look towards a town, even a small one, I get some stuttering lag and it goes down to around 50fps. This is hows its been for me for a while.

Can you recommend any tips/tricks to get the towns running better?

If the towns had such smooth performance like the forest areas, I would be in heaven :)

Thanks Dwarden

Dedicated server is back to crashing (maybe twice a day) since latest beta 71547.

Although atleast its not showing out of memory dialog box and server reboots!

Server hasnt crashed for last beta's since all previous 7's builds atleast.

Ive tried the defrag, it didnt seem to do anything. Im using a Veliciraptor 10k rpm.

For me, when it drops down below 60fps, I can clearly notice it stutters, specially since I have v-sync on. This goes for pretty much any game.

The lag is the buildings. The orange trees are not so bad now, but they still choke the system more than the normal green trees. I think its just these two things that make it lag.

Like you, I've got a 4870x2.

I found that turning vsync off really helped with Arma 2, although I had to install ATI TrayTools (bit of a pain with Win7) to be able to do so for this particular game. I wonder if this is the root of your problems, with a Crossfire setup.

Is the -Maxmem command line useful since you've got 8gigs of RAM? I don't use it personally.

Where do you have your pagefile set up, and how much capacity have you allocated to it (unlikely this is the problem, though)?

As others have said in this thread, antialiasing is a FPS killer in this game, perhaps more so for ATI cards. Probably best to up the 3D resolution setting instead.

Have you got the latest Crossfire profiles installed (http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=win7/windows-7-64bit)?

I've got a similar set up to you and can get down to less than 30 fps with it still feeling pretty smooth using these latest betas, so your problem should be fixable. I don't use postprocessing, though, as that does give me random slow-downs and lags once plenty of scripts/AI are running.

Edit: Something which I've found interesting with the last two beta patches: I've started setting texture to 'very high' and object detail to 'high', and everything seems to run much more smoothly than on the lower settings. It seems that, with 1 Gig of RAM on the graphics card, the system has to work far harder to keep switching LODs than it does to keep higher quality textures/larger poly models in its memory, even at larger view distances and with grass on and shadows 'high'.

That probably seems like a pretty obvious point to make, but with earlier builds I encountered a performance hit when trying to set object detail higher than 'low'.

Edited by Richey79

Buildings seem to have more of a fps hit now then they did in previous patches, everything else has improved massively. If this can be addressed or improved I will be happy.

Kindly vote in this topic, then, and upload your 3 (or 2) crash files.

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/11350

I did vote, but don't know where the crashlogs are located, and don't have the time to spend an hour searching for a thread that points the way.

So where are they?

I did vote, but don't know where the crashlogs are located, and don't have the time to spend an hour searching for a thread that points the way.

So where are they?

tha'ts pure excuse

this

http://dev-heaven.net/projects/cis/wiki

leads to

http://dev-heaven.net/projects/cis/wiki/Attachments

which gets you answer here

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Crash_Files#ARMA_2

---------- Post added at 18:36 ---------- Previous post was at 18:35 ----------

Dedicated server is back to crashing (maybe twice a day) since latest beta 71547.

Although atleast its not showing out of memory dialog box and server reboots!

Server hasnt crashed for last beta's since all previous 7's builds atleast.

what about crashdumps from the dedicated server?

Performance is most definately down with more lag & hesitations in this beta @3500 meter distance.

Will post concrete numbers later.

tha'ts pure excuse

this

http://dev-heaven.net/projects/cis/wiki

leads to

http://dev-heaven.net/projects/cis/wiki/Attachments

which gets you answer here

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Crash_Files#ARMA_2

---------- Post added at 18:36 ---------- Previous post was at 18:35 ----------

what about crashdumps from the dedicated server?

Ok, at work now, will post error files in morning

Buildings seem to have more of a fps hit now then they did in previous patches...

Don't know if this is related but I noticed the following while trying out 71548 in MP. At one specific spot while looking into Chernogorsk with scope my framerate plummet to ~5 fps, never experienced such a drastic drop before.

IIRC it was the big silos things at the factory I was looking at from the fields NW, viewing other parts of Chernogorsk from same spot in scope wasn't that bad fps wise.

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

The view distance is a huge factor in stutter.I think its the cpu has a hard time doing the geometry of so many objects at once.I eliminate mine by putting at minimum.Not best solution but having stuff close to me at 1600x1200 all very high with 50 to 60 fps no stutter is very nice.

New beta 71548 contains some improvements in RAM management and some preparations for the next step, which will be enabling the application as LARGEADDRESSAWARE (running as LARGEADDRESSAWARE should fix the out of memory issues on 64b systems).

The point of this beta is to:

- verify the changes made as a part of preparation have not broken RAM management

- verify the increased file cache size of systems with lot of RAM works

:salute: This is nice, very very nice Suma

Our NoPryl server runs most missions with 50 FPS, whith 15 - 20 players. We have 2 x 4GB ramdisk (imdisk), where we have loaded all BIS addons PBO.

Will the server.exe be /LAA compatible in a week or so also?

With 12GB RAM is it advised to stop using ramdisk on the server?

If the files is cached I suppose the Ramdisk could represent a overhead and less efficent cache. But in some ways I doubt this is the case, since the game not has gone pure 64bit yet.

Edited by Batstat

Finally got time to enable /largeaddressaware using editbin.

First impressions are good. I'm running Flashpoint Chernarus mission at 6000 vd with pp at high. All seems stable and haven't turned into a bird yet :bounce3:. Going to test more.

Good things to come in the next fortnight, I think!

With a bit more testing, I'm still not seeing Arma 2 using much more than 2 gigs of system RAM with this switch activated (Win 7 x64). However, you immediately notice when you switch to a scope or binoculars there is no momentary slow down, and higher vd is possible without any stutters/slow down. Also got the impression that you could place more units in the editor with less performance cost.

Edited by Richey79

Finally got time to enable /largeaddressaware using editbin.

First impressions are good. I'm running Flashpoint Chernarus mission at 6000 vd with pp at high. All seems stable and haven't turned into a bird yet :bounce3:. Going to test more.

Good things to come in the next fortnight, I think!

With a bit more testing, I'm still not seeing Arma 2 using much more than 2 gigs of system RAM with this switch activated (Win 7 x64). However, you immediately notice when you switch to a scope or binoculars there is no momentary slow down, and higher vd is possible without any stutters/slow down. Also got the impression that you could place more units in the editor with less performance cost.

Would it be against the rules to post the modified .exe file? Since there's no copy protection anyway, seems like it would be okay. I tried to figure out the binary editing and couldn't do it so it might be nice to have to test for people like me. :cool:

Ive tried to set v-sync off with ATI tray tools before, but nothing I did turned it off. Maybe I should try again, hmm.

I found that the maxmem parameter did nothing. Ive tried it at 2047 and 1536.

My page file is 8190, and it is set on the same disk as the game (300gb velociraptor). I didnt want to move the page file to another disk, since all my other HDDs are slower than the raptor, that would most likely decrease performance, im not sure.

I will try these crossfire profiles you listed. Do these work with the 4870X2?

In past builds, (not sure about this one) I found when setting object detail to low, it improved performance alot. But like you said, I will try set it to high/veryhigh, see if performance improves; sometimes this is the case.

My in-game settings are:

Textures: Normal

Video memory: Default

Anisotropic filtering: High

Antialiasing: Disabled (the low setting doesnt seem to make performance suffer too much, and it doesnt look much better so I set it to disable)

Terrain: Normal

Object detail: Normal

Shadows: High

Post effects: High

Resolution: 1920x1080

viewdistance: 1500 - 2000 ( in multiplayer games, I set it to 1500 or lower, mp games lag alot)

Im using ATI Catalyst 10.6

thanks Richey79 :)

Edited by bushpig

I have to say, this patch made my game much smoother, i no longer get any stutters / pauses when flying a jet at high speed.

Specs:

i7 930

6GB DDR3 RAM

500gb Samsung Spinpoint F3

XFX 5870 1gb

Win 7 64bit