Sign in to follow this  
WillaCHilla

New beta build 71548 up

I have seen this mentioned many times already, yet I did not see a clear and consice repro for this. Can someone create an issue on CIT with clear repro steps and short and easy to understand description?

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/7866#note-25

Did you try my repro already? I think there's also an issue with scoping with those trees in view.

Can anybody else see it happening with my repro?

Just curious if we can expect AI and config improvements within the next beta or final build?

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/7866#note-25

Did you try my repro already? I think there's also an issue with scoping with those trees in view.

Can anybody else see it happening with my repro?

I have already checked this issue before and it looks long and confusing to me. The primary description is way too general ("Bushes and deciduous trees are an absolute performance killer, these need to be optimised. ") and I cannot see any repro steps in the issue at all.

Performance in the latest beta is definatelly upped in the heavier areas for my system. Latest nvidia drivers and tested previous plus this latest A2 beta and there is a noticeable difference when i turn 360 degrees in the same spot. The area where i felt it stuttered/lagged in the previous beta is gone now (tested betas side by side). When i turn 360 now i see no to very little slow down in that same spot.

Thanks BIS for keeping attacking this. :)

I have already checked this issue before and it looks long and confusing to me. The primary description is way too general ("Bushes and deciduous trees are an absolute performance killer, these need to be optimised. ") and I cannot see any repro steps in the issue at all.

I agree, it's been held too generic and got cluttered up.

But I've made a self-running repro mission using camera scripts. So no repro steps needed there; that's why I've linked directly to my comment where the link to the attachment is visible.

Hi, if I have these specs, what kind of exThreads command I should use for the best performance and beta benefits?

Vista Ultimate 64-bit SP2

AMD Turion X2 Ultra ZM-82 2211.5 MHz

DDR2 4096

ATI MOBILITY RADEON HD 3850 (MSI) 512mb

Thank you.

ADD:

yes and I also feel some performance improvement with this patch, but can't say exactly how big yet. nevertheless, outside cities almost super-smooth experience with normal details and post-process off.

Edited by Bouben

This beta reminds me of the recent 2.7 patch from EGOSOFT for X-Terran Conflict (a great space sim) which enabled 64bit systems to use more memory... the results and response from the community was overwhelming, the performance improvement was HUGE and many people started playing again!

Good to see BIS concentrating on performance, as this is one area ARMA2 has been criticised for in the past. Also would be nice to see some FPS speed up in towns someday ;)

the game needs a lot of paged pool.

Suma,

By this, did you mean the windows page file? i have mine disabled and never had any problems?

But I've made a self-running repro mission using camera scripts. So no repro steps needed there; that's why I've linked directly to my comment where the link to the attachment is visible.

IMO the repro mission is missing one vital step, comparison with another type of vegetation to see if there's any difference :p

I myself do get 10-12 FPS drop initially when the camera "drives" closer to the trees but none when the zoom happens.. But all the trees tend to affect the FPS in some way..

One thing with the red trees and bushes is that they all share one peculiar thing: they all seem to have massive model bounding boxes compared to the green similar size trees/bushes.. Dunno if that's even relevant, I'm no modeler.. :shrug:

Just noticed this when using kinda of a boundingbox "volume" in some scripts, then compared for example the red tree model t_acer2s.p3d and the big silo in Chernogorsk (Ind_SiloVelke_02.p3d) in O2 and the tree bounding box covers half of the 2D area the silo covers.. :shrug:

Anyways, after some tests this new beta is pretty sweet, since the introduction of exThreads 7 on my PC things have been very smooth and now this thing seems to have wiped basically all of the "LODding" problems there may have been left.. :)

This beta sounds amazing. Great thing to wake up to today. :D

Will test ASAP.

Best Beta I've tried in a long time!

First off it was the first to get rid of the awful stuttering and freezing problems I had experienced with the previous ones.

2nd, I upped my VD to 6000 and flew around Chernarus in an F4 and that had to be the smoothest ride I've yet had rivaling maybe only Ramdisk.

Thanks!

e8500 stock

4870 512 slightly oc'ed

8 gig Ram

Vista64

Finally got around to testing it too, and wow is the game smooth now! Great stuff. :)

IMO the repro mission is missing one vital step, comparison with another type of vegetation to see if there's any difference :p

I myself do get 10-12 FPS drop initially when the camera "drives" closer to the trees but none when the zoom happens.. But all the trees tend to affect the FPS in some way..

One thing with the red trees and bushes is that they all share one peculiar thing: they all seem to have massive model bounding boxes compared to the green similar size trees/bushes.. Dunno if that's even relevant, I'm no modeler.. :shrug:

Just noticed this when using kinda of a boundingbox "volume" in some scripts, then compared for example the red tree model t_acer2s.p3d and the big silo in Chernogorsk (Ind_SiloVelke_02.p3d) in O2 and the tree bounding box covers half of the 2D area the silo covers.. :shrug:

Anyways, after some tests this new beta is pretty sweet, since the

introduction of exThreads 7 on my PC things have been very smooth and now this thing seems to have wiped basically all of the "LODding" problems there may have been left.. :)

Well, if someone puts up like Suma says I will put my vote for it.

New beta 71548 contains some improvements in RAM management and some preparations for the next step, which will be enabling the application as LARGEADDRESSAWARE (running as LARGEADDRESSAWARE should fix the out of memory issues on 64b systems).

The point of this beta is to:

- verify the changes made as a part of preparation have not broken RAM management

- verify the increased file cache size of systems with lot of RAM works

I have quite a few Improvements with stuttering from this patch, so thumbs up to you guys :).

I have another Question though, LARGEADDRESSAWARE...is it possible to use now? or would it have problems since you haven't officially released it yet?

Also, when you do come out with LARGEADDRESSAWARE (and also with the RAM issue and stuttering fixes)...Would that help out situations, such as the Benchmark 2?, or something totally different.

Awesome stuff. I'll test this ASAP. One good way to fill up your RAM quickly is to grab a fast plane like the F-35 and fly around Chernarus with 10k view distance and terrain+object details as high as possible.

Let's see if it goes higher than 1.2GB with this new beta. :)

If this works as intended, LOD popping and similar issues should be a thing of the past, right?

I have a benchmark that's perfect for this. You don't have to do anything but ride along (switch to external view). Download it here:

http://www.jeffpinard.com/jpinard%20ArmA2%20Benchmark%20Tests.zip

Hi, if I have these specs, what kind of exThreads command I should use for the best performance and beta benefits?

"It depends" but the good news is it's now quite easy to try different settings for yourself :)

FWIW, I find exthreads 5 and 7 to be pretty close in performance and better than other options on my system. YMMV.

I asked this before(few months ago) without answer - so, what are the best page file settings for Arma2 ? I have 4GB RAM(I know, XP 32-bit not use it all) and Windows XP SP3 32-bit.

Just to reiterate... Should a supercomputer of a system add no parameters (exthreads, cores, maxmem, etc) as they will be set by default for the best performance? -exThreads=7 etc...

The game performance has improved for me (less stutter) but now I get some buildings that do not update to higher LOD, they just stay at low res no matter what settings I change. I've noticed this on the "Village Sweep" mission in Grishino. Still tesing other towns.

This is with no entries so equivalent to -exThreads=7 and -cpuCount=4

Win7

i7 920 @3.36Ghz

GTX285

6Gb ram

Anyone notice mission load times are longer now?

Pauliesss: When I was using XP32 (also with 4Gb) I just set it to windows controlled. Never had any probs.

Edited by EDcase

Suma,

By this, did you mean the windows page file? i have mine disabled and never had any problems?

Paged pool memory is a region in virtual memory which can be paged in and paged out of the system. Device driver which do not need to access the memory from DPC/Dispatch level or above can use paged pool. it is accessible from any process context.

check this to understood bit more

http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2009/03/26/3211216.aspx

[*] enabling LARGEADDRESSAWARE flag with editbin

How would one go about this?

The game performance has improved for me (less stutter) but now I get some buildings that do not update to higher LOD, they just stay at low res no matter what settings I change. I've noticed this on the "Village Sweep" mission in Grishino. Still tesing other towns.

I got that problem on a previous beta, but for units. Using the "preview animation" mission (download), the preview unit would stay in low LOD in the editor. Even if I loaded another mission and back. The next session however, everything was back to normal.

In Domination, after a Teleport to MHQ or Base, with AI, the rendering pauses for some seconds, for 3 or 4 times.

From process explorer, I can see the main thread (arma2.exe+0x566ac0) is the only one running, while all of the other are blocked (CPU% 0).

The setPos happens very far from the starting point, while the dialog window (that include a map) keeps opened for some instants. Then the stutter comes.

Edited by alef
+details

How would one go about this?

You have to modify the executable, which may (and in all likelyhood will) trigger the FADE copy protection.

Great update. Things do appear to be smoother to me. However, the grass LOD's are still the same. Still switching while they're only 10 feet in front of you. Is there anything that can be done about that? The trees never bothered me since they always appeared to pop in at the same point where I had my view distance set to. The grass is another story.

Keep up the great work BIS. There's no other game like this. PC gaming is dying and I'd like to have one good sim left on my machine before the consoles dumb down everything.