v4friend

Update FaceTrackNoIR

hey guys,

first of all thx to the developer of FTN, awesome job! After i went through the post i decide to buy a PS3 Eyetoy. I will get in touch with you how it works ;)

Hi Guys,

I got the same problem 2 others allready mentioned.

Everytime when I klick on "start" I get the message "Failed to start EngineBase:Invalid argument".

The strange thing is, the first time I tried, it worked.

I rebooted endless times and reinstalled both the api and facetracknoir.

Has anyone a solution?

Sorry EmBeEs, I forgot to mention I had to install that config file to access the other resolutions also.

Hi Guys,

I got the same problem 2 others allready mentioned.

Everytime when I klick on "start" I get the message "Failed to start EngineBase:Invalid argument".

The strange thing is, the first time I tried, it worked.

I rebooted endless times and reinstalled both the api and facetracknoir.

Has anyone a solution?

Sorry W@rrior, I havent seen that problem before.

a). Is it detecting your camera?

b). Tried default settings?

I had a play last night with FaceTrackNoir and CL-Eye test...I managed to get the frame rate up to about 38Hz ingame. I did that by setting the resolution to 320x240@60Hz. I didnt feel this had much influence on the performance to be honest.

I will try run that lower resolution and a lower frequency, that may well perform slightly better.

I think I need to overclock my machine, I am maxing out my CPU (dual core E8400). I read they can be OC'ed to nearly 4000MHz.

Thanks

Frosty

Edited by Rough Knight

Has anyone started compiling a list of games that work or dont work with FTNR? So far these are the ones I have tried:

Freetrack:

Arma II

TrackIR:

Arma

IL-2 1946

DCS Black Shark (After Using TrackIRFixer)

HAWX (With TrackIRFixer)

Lock-On Flaming Cliffs 2 (With TrackIRFixer)

X-Plane 9

Wont currently work:

GRID (FTNR crashes after a few minutes of use)

Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising

Sorry EmBeEs, I forgot to mention I had to install that config file to access the other resolutions also.

Sorry W@rrior, I havent seen that problem before.

a). Is it detecting your camera?

b). Tried default settings?

I had a play last night with FaceTrackNoir and CL-Eye test...I managed to get the frame rate up to about 38Hz ingame. I did that by setting the resolution to 320x240@60Hz. I didnt feel this had much influence on the performance to be honest.

I will try run that lower resolution and a lower frequency, that may well perform slightly better.

I think I need to overclock my machine, I am maxing out my CPU (dual core E8400). I read they can be OC'ed to nearly 4000MHz.

Thanks

Frosty

My cam is detected correctly. The demo of face api works fine, too.

I tested it in all different settings. It's always the same:

the cam light turns on for half a second and then the mentioned error pops up.

Even a marathon of reinstalling and rebooting didn't help.:(

Hi everybody,

as i said i bought the PS3 Eyecam. Cam is working fine so far!CL-Eye Test works and device-manager shows drivers integrated correct!

My prob is the demo of face api isn't working at all! I start the prog and it stucks at -detecting WDM Cameras- Behind the loading logo is an error message that says "failed to read friendly name:ERROR_FILE_NOT_LOADED" Strange thing isn't it? In the installation folder is a "cam_whitelist.txt" file and inside is the PS3 eyecam! Take a look:

# Cameras listed here will avoid functionality testing on startup

# This is usually required if the camera driver is ok except for the condition where the

# camera is not connected.

# The camera name must match the name of the video Capture Source filter in Directshow.

PS3Eye Camera

I guess this is why i get an error in FTN also after pressing start:failed to register camera category:unspecified error!

May anybody have a clue who to fix this prob? I don't unfortunately!

Thx for your help and apologize for bad english ;)

Flashleitz

Hello EmBeEs, Thanks for compiling a list of games you tried :). I will make a compatibility-list on the website shortly. There's more work to be done, like making a list of 'known issues' too...

@ W@rrior: It's very strange that it worked once, and now it doesn't any more! The EngineBase error is thrown by the faceAPI, so that's difficult for me to solve. Have you tried creating a new user on your PC and running FaceTrackNoIR on that? Maybe it's some other program bugging the device?!

@FlashLeitz: Does FaceTrackNoIR show the proper name of your web-cam in the text above the settings? It should do so after starting the program and again after pressing "Start". It's hard for me to help you, because I don't have a PS3 Eye nor do I have W7 64bit. Looks to me it's a device-driver issue, but you probably guessed that?

Hi V4Friend,

FaceTrackNoIR shows the proper name, PS3Eye Camera, like in the device-manager! It has something to do with the device-driver(WDM blabla...) but I don't have a clue about programming,start ups etc. Maybe the CodeLabs Forum can give me a advice.

ThX Mate for you reply :)

Hello EmBeEs, Thanks for compiling a list of games you tried :). I will make a compatibility-list on the website shortly. There's more work to be done, like making a list of 'known issues' too...

@ W@rrior: It's very strange that it worked once, and now it doesn't any more! The EngineBase error is thrown by the faceAPI, so that's difficult for me to solve. Have you tried creating a new user on your PC and running FaceTrackNoIR on that? Maybe it's some other program bugging the device?!

@FlashLeitz: Does FaceTrackNoIR show the proper name of your web-cam in the text above the settings? It should do so after starting the program and again after pressing "Start". It's hard for me to help you, because I don't have a PS3 Eye nor do I have W7 64bit. Looks to me it's a device-driver issue, but you probably guessed that?

The strange thing is that the demo of faceAPI works fine.

I even tested FreeTrack and it detects the cam properly and the preview also works.

I've tested it with another win user and then it automatically reinstalled itself. And it worked. But just with the old version, if I install the update the same error occurs. I didn't have the time to check it ingame, but will it work with the old version?

greetings, W@rrior

Hello W@rrior,

That's really strange: you are saying that the first release of FaceTrackNoIR works, but the update does not??? That's a first...

Well, the first version also supports ArmA2, so that should work. Problem is that I added the filtering later, so that will not be in there. It's really very strange, because the faceAPI-part has not changed compared to the first release.

Let me know if you tried it?

Edited by V4Friend

Hello W@rrior,

That's really strange: you are saying that the first release of FaceTrackNoIR works, but the update does not??? That's a first...

Well, the first version also supports ArmA2, so that should work. Problem is that I added the filtering later, so that will not be in there. It's really very strange, because the faceAPI-part has not changed compared to the first release.

Let me know if you tried it?

Tested it again. V1.0 works well, just keeps the fps very low at 5hz. But maybe it's just the cam (laptop-integrated).

When I update the .exe the error pops up every time again.

Will test it again wenn I have a new cam...

But anyway, thanks for the fast response!

Tested it again. V1.0 works well, just keeps the fps very low at 5hz. But maybe it's just the cam (laptop-integrated).

When I update the .exe the error pops up every time again.

Will test it again wenn I have a new cam...

But anyway, thanks for the fast response!

Hi W@rrior,

Well, I try to help everyone. Keeps me rather busy though :rolleyes:

I just tried installing the first release and the update again on a clean Virtual Machine and could not reproduce your problem.

A thing just popped in my mind doing that: one significant change is the fact that the upgrade .exe only starts the protocol that is selected in the 'game protocol' Listbox. Have you tried changing that? It's a long shot :o

A new cam could be the fix though: the upgrade also allows higher fps than the first release. Maybe that is why the first does work...

V4Friend

Edited by V4Friend

also have5 hz only that parkinson stops when using in multiplayere or mission.

waht are the best orptions fior it?

Edited by Konrad1

It's hard for me to help you, because I don't have a PS3 Eye nor do I have W7 64bit. Looks to me it's a device-driver issue, but you probably guessed that?

I do, picked up a PS3 eye today and have it all running on W7-64,got to say it works a treat. A special thank you to V4friend and all those that helped him.

My settup is still a little drunken, and I've yet to learn what the settings do but I've got it damn near playable based on j-frosts setup

Ummm why are you lot using crappy web cams I use a Wiimote works better than ANY camera due to no or hardly any CPU hit and all so the very high FPS it is capable of.

@Pathetic Berserker: Thanks!

@stk2008: The Wiimote? Can you use that with FaceTrackNoIR? That would be nice...

Hi there I am very sorry I have not used face track I miss read it as Free track im sorry.

I use Free track with the Wiimote.

@stk2008: The Wiimote? Can you use that with FaceTrackNoIR? That would be nice...

I would believe that using a Wiimote for FTNoIR requires modification of the hardware, because it contains an IR-filter (only lets IR-radiation through) to remove any unwanted light to the sensor. It would be just like the TrackIR-unit in this regard, except it's using bluetooth and with a narrower field of view.

I would believe that using a Wiimote for FTNoIR requires modification of the hardware, because it contains an IR-filter (only lets IR-radiation through) to remove any unwanted light to the sensor. It would be just like the TrackIR-unit in this regard, except it's using bluetooth and with a narrower field of view.

Hi there like I said in me post above sorry its free track i use.

Sorry for the confusion

When it initialized the engine, it use 90%+ of my CPU, then when it found my face, it uses 10-40...haven't got a chance to use but looks promising!

Got everything running beutifull and smooth but still have 2 small curiosities.

Are you any closer to fixing the issue where A2-OA crashes on the first attemp to start up?

And second, where it lists the camera in middle of the ftnir UI I get my media card driver listed , not my camera ??? Yet it still works. No real noticable difference when I uninstall my media card driver , except it lists my Ps3-eye, as one would expect. I did notice that "CL-eye Test" lists both my camera and media card as viewable devices, any chance we could see similar functionality in a future release?

Hello guys, i cannot seem to get this to work. (Have my dad's Hercules Dualpix Chat and Show and Windows 7).

I installed the faceAPI demo and FacetrackNOIR and overwrote the update in the facetrackNOIR folder. Then I loaded up the arma.ini, select Freetrack as game protocol, the cam detects my face (yellow 'circle' between my eyes, nose and mouth). But then, I load up the game and nothing happens?

It seems my controls don't detect Freetrack (except for one time that it did work...)

Got everything running beutifull and smooth but still have 2 small curiosities.

Are you any closer to fixing the issue where A2-OA crashes on the first attemp to start up?

And second, where it lists the camera in middle of the ftnir UI I get my media card driver listed , not my camera ??? Yet it still works. ..., any chance we could see similar functionality in a future release?

Hello Berserker :)

Well, the 'first-attempt crash' is one I cannot cure: it must have something to do with the way ArmA starts up. Other games don't show this problem, as far as I know.

The second is strange indeed :eek: When I forget to power-up my web-cam, I get my TV-card as input. When I start tracking, it does indeed start tracking the news-readers face :rolleyes:

I'm happy it still works, but don't think I can do anything about it though...

@dunnobe: you are really close! Only thing I can think of, is that you must enable the Free-track controller in ArmA, but it looks like you tried that already?