v4friend

Update FaceTrackNoIR

Some times my Arma also shuts down instantly upon boot with noir running, the second time it always works, thought it was just me :p

Same issue here. I think it's FreeTrack in general and not just this program, though, so it's a BIS issue.

Can help to provide your settings?

[Tracking]
Smooth=6
NeutralZone=8
sensYaw=140
sensPitch=140
sensRoll=90
sensX=70
sensY=70
sensZ=30
invertYaw=false
invertPitch=false
invertRoll=true
invertX=false
invertY=false
invertZ=false
useEWMA=true
redYaw=30
redPitch=30
redRoll=70
redX=70
redY=70
redZ=20

[GameProtocol]
Selection=0

I tried this and mine crashed the first time and worked the second as others have said, but the main problem is that for me, it was just too laggy, I believe that it could be my Logitech camera itself that is at fault, but the response was far too slow. I know you can change sensitivity and what not, I tried a few different settings but still unresponsive, it would just prove to be more difficult.

I'll stick with the Alt to free look method for now, but it's a cool piece of software for sure. Like I said I do believe it could be my cam at fault.

I do want a track IR though.

@Erratic,

What settings did you use? When tracking is 'laggy', at least it's not 'jittery'. You can make tracking faster by setting 'smoothing' to a low value (say 5) and by turning the 'EWMA-filter' down (low values for Red. factor).

@Dwarden,

Can anyone just post crashdumps, or do you have to register or something? I have made FTNoIR, so I have translated the Pascal (Delphi) code from Free-track to C++. I'd like to help you solve this little bug :-)

O, one remark: to get things working, I 'once' changed the FreeTrackClient.dll. Although I think it became better by those changes, I have since improved the C++ code from FTNoIR, so it will also work with the original DLL. Just forgot to remove the added functions...

Edited by V4Friend

@Erratic,

What settings did you use? When tracking is 'laggy', at least it's not 'jittery'. You can make tracking faster by setting 'smoothing' to a low value (say 5) and by turning the 'EWMA-filter' down (low values for Red. factor).

@Dwarden,

Can anyone just post crashdumps, or do you have to register or something? I have made FTNoIR, so I have translated the Pascal (Delphi) code from Free-track to C++. I'd like to help you solve this little bug :-)

O, one remark: to get things working, I 'once' changed the FreeTrackClient.dll. Although I think it became better by those changes, I have since improved the C++ code from FTNoIR, so it will also work with the original DLL. Just forgot to remove the added functions...

you need register then you can upload up to 20MB files

(so with archive packed by 7-zip LZMA/LZMA2 compression it's easy to handle 99% of crashdumps)

anyone who has something worth to report about ARMA 2 bugs should post it on CIT ...

Good update! I now no longer have the jitterbugs, The new problem is that of zeroing. Since my screen is below the cam i have to look down my nose otherwise it thinks i want to look down, this also makes looking up impossible as i have to tilt my head to the point i can't see the screen.

@Dead3yez: What CPU do you have?

We're trying to isolate the problem, so we need more info on each individual hw setup

tnx

AMD 965BE.

Jittering (flicking between actual head direction and default direction) when 50FPS is reached or above.

@Xerxes: Zeroing is one of the thrilling new features of the update :)

When you start the Tracker, you should try to keep your face in a 'natural' position. If however, you still have to look up or down to much, maybe you could exaggerate your position in the opposite direction and press '=' to zero...

(fyi: FTNoIR then stores the current head-pose values and subtracts these from all following values, thus zeroing your position).

Takes a little tweaking I guess :cool:

A little thing. When you yaw, there is also an X shift.

This is probably because the position (X,Y,Z) is related to the center point of the "yellow mask" and not the player neck.

In arma2, X axis is default bind to lean (default Q and E keys). To counteract the above effect, you should look the other direction where you lean.

It would not be such a problem, but the lean action slows you down while running. So if you are escaping away from enemies and turn you back, you activate the lean and you start walking, giving them more chances to shoot at you ...

What I'm asking is a gemoetric correction for the above, with probably a slider to tune the effect. And dead zones separated for all of the axes would be much appreciated. This tool is great but for a real use in-game I need to tune it all the way.

Thank you.

Hi V4Friend,

well I haven't been able to replicate the Facetrack crashes I mentioned in a previous post. The protocol I've been using is Freetrack, I think previously I was using Facetrackclient, but I'm not so sure as I didn't take copious notes. By all accounts its been pretty stable, particularly online during warfare matches I've played.

The only thing I've noticed is that ARMA2 takes a little while to re-establish a link if tracking drops out due to extreme head movements or positions. As far as I'm aware Facetrack successfully re-engages recognition if a dropout occurs fairly quickly.

On a side note I'm wondering if there is a way, like a keystroke, which could be used to override/re-engage the tracking ingame, particularly during times when a stable head position is absolutely necessary.

Other than that I'm impressed with the implementation and it's non-invasive in terms of wearable items as with most off-the-shelf available tracking systems.

cheers,

Good update! I now no longer have the jitterbugs, The new problem is that of zeroing. Since my screen is below the cam i have to look down my nose otherwise it thinks i want to look down, this also makes looking up impossible as i have to tilt my head to the point i can't see the screen.

I am having this issue as well.

@Alef: Do you have any idea, how such a geometric correction should work? As all the tracking-logic is handled by the faceAPI, all data you get are the 6DOF's. A correction algorithm should be invented, I wouldn't know where to start :o

Ronski mentioned the same problem to me before. He has a rather practical (but non-6DOF) solution for it: disable X-movement by setting sensitivity to 0. He then leans by using the keyboard...

Your suggestions for dead-zones are noted.

@Ebola: I'm glad you didn't experience the crash anymore.

You're right about the yellow outline: it re-appears fairly quickly, after your face was lost. However, the faceAPI send a 'confidence' flag, to indicate that the headpose is valid (again). That takes a while longer!

On a side note I'm wondering if there is a way, like a keystroke, which could be used to override/re-engage the tracking ingame, particularly during times when a stable head position is absolutely necessary.

I don't really understand what you mean: pressing BACKSPACE stops tracking. Isn't that what you need?

One option would be to make it so As X axis rotation increases/decreases (as when someone looks behind), it decreases sensitivity to X axis movement

I don't really understand what you mean: pressing BACKSPACE stops tracking. Isn't that what you need?

Ok great that's halfway there, so I imagine pressing backspace a second time restarts tracking? If this was discussed in a previous post I may have missed it.

edit: forget answering that, was in the updated readme.

cheers

Edited by Ebolavirus

Lo there,

I have a built-in 1.3mpix webcam in my laptop. (specs below) I've been testing the latest version of FaceTrackNoIR. I have a few questions regarding the settings:

1) Which tracker source is better: FaceAPI or the FTNOIR.

2) Does Auto-brightness improve tracking in low-light conditions?

I've used somewhat random settings for sensitivity, disabled Z (ZOOM), X (LEAN) axis and so forth.

I'll post a video with a Su25 with FaceTrackNoIR and I have to say that it has huge potential. :D

The video/demo below:

Arma 2 FaceTrackNoIR [Acer 5745G] Su-25 test-run in Armoury [demo/test] HD

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpwzLU29PNY&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpwzLU29PNY&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

FaceTrackNoIR identifies the Webcam as 8 FPS/Hz.

Read the video description, watch in HD & Enjoy. :icon_biggrin:

:icon_dj:

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin

@Alef: Do you have any idea, how such a geometric correction should work? As all the tracking-logic is handled by the faceAPI, all data you get are the 6DOF's. A correction algorithm should be invented, I wouldn't know where to start :o

Hi. If my math is still not dead, this should depict what I mean.

rX is the FaceAPI rotation angle, cfrX is the factor we should be able to change in the settings (radius), crX is the final correction to be added (or subracted?) to the final X axis.

What I think, is that FaceAPI X axis is the yellow mask position, not your neck position against the webcam.

The BACKSPACE key is used in ArmA for navigate back the radio menu.

Hello all,

this looks very promising. Two questions:

-Will this be compatible with other games as well?

- I don't have a web-cam but I'm willing to buy one, any suggestions on wich one to buy?

Greetz

Bart

Hello alef,

Thanks for the math lesson. I'm quite busy right now, but I will certainly look into it.

I guess this feature would only need to work while walking/running, isn't it? Perhaps the Bohemia-devs can also do something with this info (like suppress lean whilst running)?

@)Indy(, Bart,

FaceTrackNoIR is compatible with PPJoy since about a week now. When also using GlovePIE, it can be used with all games, that support the un-encrypted version of TrackIR. I think there are some 80 titles to try!

Myself, I have made it work for IL-2 (see Youtube) and Free Falcon 5 (though I'm still experimenting with that).

If you have managed to get it working with any game, I'd like to know :-)

hey guys..this sounds promising but when I tryed it I got this error:

Runtime Error!

Program: C:\pr...

R6030

-CRT not initialized

Now i've searched around and i found out I needed to update my .NET framework..well did that but still no luck.

If anyone could help me I 'd be glad.

This is a great free solution to trackIR and freetrack.

Thanks in advance

The Lean (x axis in FaceTrackNoIR) constantly inputs the info into the game, so you're always leaning unless you set sensitivity to 0.

I'm not sure if it can be done: but for lean to effectively work you need to set a deadzone for X axis, so if you pass 50 on x you lean right, -50 and you lean left. There needs to be a deadzone and it should work as a key - on/off.

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin

Oh, doh. It seems I accidently downloaded the first release twice. My mistake!

Wow massive improvement! Now I jsut gotta get the settigns right and it should be golden...

Edited by Xerxes-17

*bump*

"hey guys..this sounds promising but when I tried starting it I got this error:

Runtime Error!

R6030

-CRT not initialized

Now i've searched around and i found out I needed to update my .NET framework..well did that but still no luck.

This is a great free solution to trackIR and freetrack."

Anyone?

*bump*

"hey guys..this sounds promising but when I tried starting it I got this error:

Runtime Error!

R6030

-CRT not initialized

This is a great free solution to trackIR and freetrack."

Anyone?

I've got the same problem since i reinstalled my pc and havn't found a solution until now...

I've got the same problem since i reinstalled my pc and havn't found a solution until now...

maybe I misunderstand you but does that mean you have a solution?

Or you haven't found a solution yet?