Sign in to follow this  
alef

exThreads

Im unsure of how to set up my game aswell.

I also got a 970 6 cores with HT enabled, which i need to be on.

Any settings that is important that i have to change?

thx

Im unsure of how to set up my game aswell.

I also got a 970 6 cores with HT enabled, which i need to be on.

Any settings that is important that i have to change?

To anybody asking question like this: any general rules I could provide you with are already programmed in the game and the game will select the "general best" value for you.

In your case the default values will be:

-cpuCount=6 -exThreads=7

Those values are considered best for a configuration like yours, if they were not, we would change the rules so that different values are selected. The possibility to override is there to cover any possible unexpected configurations - in such cases it is best to try different values and see which runs best, which is something nobody can do without having access to your system. The other values you might want to try as possible reasonable alternatives could be various combinations of -cpuCount=4 or 6 or 8 and -exThreads=0 or 3 or 5 or 7.

Question, according to CPU-Z my QX6850 quad core has 4 threads. Why then does the game seem to run better on 7 threads then say 5? And I dont think there is a setting for 4 threads is there?

To anybody asking question like this: any general rules I could provide you with are already programmed in the game and the game will select the "general best" value for you.

In your case the default values will be:

-cpuCount=6 -exThreads=7

Those values are considered best for a configuration like yours, if they were not, we would change the rules so that different values are selected. The possibility to override is there to cover any possible unexpected configurations - in such cases it is best to try different values and see which runs best, which is something nobody can do without having access to your system. The other values you might want to try as possible reasonable alternatives could be various combinations of -cpuCount=4 or 6 or 8 and -exThreads=0 or 3 or 5 or 7.

I have mine set at -cpuCount=4 -exThreads=7 for my quad i7 . My game runs smooth as silk. No complaints

One of the most appealing features of ArmA II is the large scale warfare, which simply isn't reaching anywhere near it's potential because, for some reason, all AI related operations are restricted to one core. Can this please be changed? If AI operations were spread over multiple cores we might actually be able to see servers with 750+ AI on them with very little lag.

Quick question. I recently upgraded my system and I feel that I should be getting more performance out of this game than I am. I know it's bad optimization and stuff but would any of these fixes work for me or do I just need to upgrade...again. My rig;

Intel E5400 Quad core 2.3

Nvidia GeForce GTX 460

6 gigs ram

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks ^^

Quick question. I recently upgraded my system and I feel that I should be getting more performance out of this game than I am. I know it's bad optimization and stuff but would any of these fixes work for me or do I just need to upgrade...again. My rig;

Intel E5400 Quad core 2.3

Nvidia GeForce GTX 460

6 gigs ram

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks ^^

That Intel E5400 processor is bottlenecking your system. Btw. it's not a quad core, it's a dual core.

You definitely need a faster CPU.

Could you clarify about not being a quad? I'm looking at it now and I am seeing four cores. Not to mention I can max Bad Company 2 dx 11 at 1920x1080. I couldn't do that on my old dual 2.8 o.O

*edit* My bad man. I was thinking about my old cpu. I have a Q8200 right now. I thought something didn't sound right about that e5400 ha.

Could you clarify about not being a quad? I'm looking at it now and I am seeing four cores. Not to mention I can max Bad Company 2 dx 11 at 1920x1080. I couldn't do that on my old dual 2.8 o.O

*edit* My bad man. I was thinking about my old cpu. I have a Q8200 right now. I thought something didn't sound right about that e5400 ha.

Aha, okay that's cleared that up. :)

As for tweaking performance, exThreads should usually be autodetected and set to the best value for your system (normally 7). You could try lowering it, but I think it's unlikely that you'll see any major improvements.

You'll probably be better off playing with the graphics settings a bit. Post your advanced visual settings in this thread, and you will be helped with the tweaking. ;)

I would also recommend beta build 79600 for best performance.

Here are my current settings. I just don't understand it. I've come to a reasonable fps I can play at but still. I don't know what's making it slowdown. I see peoples videos on Youtube running great :(

Texture: High

Video: Default

AF: Normal

AA: Off

Terrain: Low

Objects: High

Shadows: High

Post Proc: Off

Both res at 1920x1080

I have Arma 2 Combined Operations and haven't played Vanilla Arma 2 since quite some time but because of the Free version I tried it and was impressed that unlike CO all cores were used and the cpu usage of every core was nearly the same around 40-60% and never reached 100%.

I have an i2500k with 4.6 GHz and if I play CO one core uses nearly 100% and all others are around 10%. This happens for nearly every mission I play.

I thought it was engine specific unless I have played Arma 2 Vanilla.

My operating system is Windows 7 64 and I have also tried the current Beta with the same result.

Can anybody confirm this behavior? Shouldn't the newer Arrowhead engine scale better?

It's the same engine.

Sure you don't have write protection on you arma2oa.cfg or use some startup parameter that limits you??

I don't think so since both are run with admin rights.

A developer has mentioned in another thread that the engines are different. Arrowhead is more advance than Arma 2 Vanilla. For example the plants look better in OA, there are flares and so on.

So if you play CO all your cores have a similar cpu usage?

The difference between the "main thread" wasn't as severe when I had a Q6600 with 3 GHz. That's why I thought that the additional threads don't need so much calculation time but Arma 2 proved this theory wrong.

I would post some screenshots or more data if you tell me which one and how to post it.

I have also tried to use different exthreads and cpucount options with Arrowhead without success.

I will try to move my profile today to make sure that this wasn't the problem.

Sorry Black...

My reading abilities that is way of....

But, my 4 cores don't use tha same amount, but they are somewhat similar.

No core goes to 100% and I turned HT off in the BIOS and no "turbo", just general OC.

But as I said, my reading abilities is not top notch...

:D

Amazing how I've been playing this game since 2009 and just now I find out about this.

On my Gateway p7805u FX gaming laptop p8400 2.26ghz dual core/ 9800m GTS (at stock speeds):

before using -exThreads=3 -cpucount=2

fps on bechmark 1 = 25

after using -exThreads=3 -cpucount=2

fps on bechmark 1 = 32

:yay::bounce3::eek::D

I've noticed that the missions I've created (especially my largest one, which is a beach landing assault) loads much faster. Their is also no stuttering or a long pause when I'm driving quickly through a map in a car.

I haven't tried this out on my gaming desktop (AMD 940 Black edition 3.0ghz + 8600 GTS SLI), :mad: it's still in storage.

anyway...thank you for this. I'm not feeling brave enough to test it out with other "-exThreads=" settings.

Amazing how I've been playing this game since 2009 and just now I find out about this.

On my Gateway p7805u FX gaming laptop p8400 2.26ghz dual core/ 9800m GTS (at stock speeds):

before using -exThreads=3 -cpucount=2

fps on bechmark 1 = 25

after using -exThreads=3 -cpucount=2

fps on bechmark 1 = 32

Thanks for sharing your experience. Still, what you write sound a bit strange, as -exThreads=3 -cpucount=2 should be the default for dual cores since build 76122. I would like to understand more about what is happening here. Are the results repeatable? What is the exact CPU model you have?

Thanks for sharing your experience. Still, what you write sound a bit strange, as -exThreads=3 -cpucount=2 should be the default for dual cores since build 76122. I would like to understand more about what is happening here. Are the results repeatable? What is the exact CPU model you have?

It's strange for me too. I have an Intel P8400

Link to spec sheet

everything loads faster. I still haven't updated my nvidia drivers (I'm still using 275.33 for Win7 x64).

My gaming Laptop is a Gateway P-7805u (with the 1440x900 screen and a 9800m GTS GPU).

Is there any way to find out which cpuCount and exThreads values are actually set by default, if they're not specified in the command line? :)

Of course we know what they should be, but cases like this one would seem to indicate that the autodetection may not be flawless.

I would think that setting the cmd, has over taking the laptop's power-saving/C-state. Why the .exe doesnt do this is odd.

Realtemp, and Process Explorer can help you see the threads and states, even set them in windows.

Okay, and what should be set on a dedicated Server to get max performance ? Tried so many different settings w/o any noticeable effects and unfortunately I'm totally confused now..... :confused: Server is powered by an I7 920@stock and 8GB RAM.

Thank you very much... :)

with the 920 you need to turn up the GHz....

...sure, but that was not the question. Thank you anyway. :)

But you get more or less "best" from default.

You don't have to set anything if not to make sure then.

I have not used -exthreads and -cpuCount for a long time due to the performance with default settings.

I won't make any test before v1.60 ether, since the performance is ok right now.

Of course there are other options to set, but you asked for -exthreads, which I don't see any use of if you don't set -cpuCount.

Both or nothing was best for our servers and clients when we tested earlier this year.

Hyperthreading or multithreading is of course turned off. Not sure if 920 has that.

Edited by NoBrainer