Sign in to follow this  
hamm

Which are you running, 32 or 64-bit?

What do you use, 32 or 64-bit?  

246 members have voted

1. 1. What do you use, 32 or 64-bit?

• I use a 64-bit OS.
    • I use a 32-bit OS.
    • I run 32-bit, but intend to upgrade to 64-bit in the future.

Running Vista 64bit here, but I also got 8gb ram. dont ask why I got this computer for dirt cheap! :yay:

Lol i got 8GB ram too yet i'm on WinXP 32bit :D

I would rather run Windows 98 than Vista :p

The results are quite the opposite of what BIS assumes, and it doesn't really surprise me, since the average ArmA gamer has quite a bit more knowledge about the technics behind computing compared to the average PC user.

if you mean the people here complaining about the performance of ArmA 2 despite having 8GB RAM in their i7 rig, then i've got some news for you...

Im using 64 bit win7, since I upgraded form 2GB to 4Gb ram.

The results are quite the opposite of what BIS assumes, and it doesn't really surprise me, since the average ArmA gamer has quite a bit more knowledge about the technics behind computing compared to the average PC user. On top of that, they generally have more RAM and want to use all of it ;)

Dont forget that people who dont know what it is or dont care about it are less likely to visit this forum, and are very likely to avoid this topic completely.

(So far) If the BI Forums community is representative of ArmA 2's "market", a staggering 73% of users already use 64-bit operating systems, with 66% of 32-bit users intending to upgrade to 64-bit in the near future.

Now I know this doesn't apply for everyone that buys ArmA but perhaps BIS could review their stance on 64-bit support?

(So far) If the BI Forums community is representative of ArmA 2's "market", a staggering 73% of users already use 64-bit operating systems, with 66% of 32-bit users intending to upgrade to 64-bit in the near future.

Now I know this doesn't apply for everyone that buys ArmA but perhaps BIS could review their stance on 64-bit support?

They're probably busy already prototyping it, they have "experimental engines" for a reason you know.

@JWCustom

But it has Fancy Graphics and buttons. Nobody can resist fancy graphics and buttonz!

3D desktop what the **** was MS thinking? When have I ever used such a moronic feature. Nice.... thinking MS

@JWCustom

But it has Fancy Graphics and buttons. Nobody can resist fancy graphics and buttonz!

3D desktop what the **** was MS thinking? When have I ever used such a moronic feature. Nice.... thinking MS

Heh the first thing i do after a windows xp reinstall is setting the theme to windows classic, i hate all that visual crap. My windows installation needs to be functional not flashy :p

According to Steam's hardware survey aprox 60% still use 32bit. How much need to be adjusted for people not using steam but still buy arma, I don't know, but I suspect it'll be quite a bit higher. Perhaps 70% or more.

However, even if it was only 25% it might still be too much.. In other words - long way to go.

I would expect to see an announcement for VBS2 to switch over to 64bit. You know military clients are always hungry for more computing power.

there is no reason not to use 64-bit

Sure there are. Even if you have no problems with it, others might.

Ever since BIS mentioned that only 3% of their market uses 64-bit OS, i was kind of wondering if it applies for the community here!

Don't you mean 73%? :p

Sure there are. Even if you have no problems with it, others might.

Um, we're not asking for BIS to make it 64-bit exclusive, just add a 64-bit executable. This wouldn't take away 32-bit.

Um, we're not asking for BIS to make it 64-bit exclusive, just add a 64-bit executable. This wouldn't take away 32-bit.

*cough*Crysis*cough* :D

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit. :)

only 3% ? really? :eek:

3% is realistic number this 73 percent is the forum users which is a pinch of sand compared to the rest of A2 sales.

Building for 64 bit is just a compiler switch but it is probably no use at all unless they make suitable changes to the way memory is used (the only real advantage being the ability to address more). The kicker here is that still needs to be able to work for the lowest common denominator and I imagine it'd be very easy to lose performance trying to make something smart/discretionary enough to scale for available memory vs a highly optimised routine which simply counts on having X amount available. After that all you're left with is the ability to keep discarded data loaded longer and perhaps preload data that you think might be needed but you then run the very real risk of duplicating the function of Windows' own disc cache using memory twice for the same purpose.

I don't have money to upgrade anymore.... Can you please start downgrading the games?

:)

(Win XP 32)

Well, with 64bit Windows systems finally being out of beta (yes, entire Vista isn't worth more than being called beta, and XP wasn't made to run 64bit so it was just handicapped 64bit support. Not a 64bit OS) and with proper 64bit hardware becomming commonplace it'll become the new standard. With WinXP being out of Microsoft's loop it's just a matter of a few years before 64bit will be dominant even with casual users, since their have-toupgrade-to-keep-up computers will come with OEM-licensed Win7.

Lappy number one is using 7 ultimate 32

Lappy number two that is coming is going to run on 7 HP 64

Check out the latest Beta Patches

LargeAddressAware will allocate more RAM on systems with more than 4gb Suma says if all goes well will have it in a week.

THANK YOU BIS! :yay:

Check out the latest Beta Patches

LargeAddressAware will allocate more RAM on systems with more than 4gb Suma says if all goes well will have it in a week.

THANK YOU BIS! :yay:

This is very welcome news. :cool:

This has been bugging me for a looong time, I have Vista 32bit and want to upgrade to Windows 7 64bit using the XP/Vista to Windows 7 upgrade pack in a few days, but as you can see im going from 32bit to 64bit using an upgrade pack.

Will this work?

Im assuming that i will have to wipe my hard drive completely clean and install Windows 7 64bit as the upgrade pack comes with 32bit & 64bit disks.

Mainly just need clarifying before i spend £90+...