Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2 (OA) : DLC discussion thread

From my experience... you have to keep people impressed. You have to show them something new.

If you just give up and don't progress, you are dead.

Xeno

I'm not sure what you're expecting though - the sort of engine and gameplay improvements that would get most people on these forums excited would be largely meaningless to a new player, or at least they wouldn't realise how special they are being unfamiliar with the series. What sort of gameplay improvements would be dramatic enough to entice new players, yet feasible enough to develop?

New units, weapons and vehicles for a new and interesting faction absolutely are the sort of thing that would catch the eye of new players, certainly more than a new bullet point on the feature list. And for the sort of people who would be more interested in the latter, well they're likely to have the game already.

So what you are saying, basically, is that we should just give up and accept the current situation.

Not what I'm saying at all, just that advertising isn't the answer that's being touted here (largely motivated I think by a desire to say anything to run-down DLC).

I want to play. I want to play with as much players as possible. I don't care what those players play. The more the better.

Are you really short of people to play with? You've created far and away the most popular mission out there, presumably this mission is to your taste, how can you not find a game? I live at the ends of the Earth and I could probably find a game of Domination any night of the week. What is it you're missing?

I might be tempted to point the finger at BI's not investing more in creating accessible (adversarial) modes that meet the regular gamer's expectation of multiplayer gaming. That's tempered however by an appreciation that the sandbox they have given us is ultimately much more compelling than canned gameplay. What I wonder is that we haven't done more with that ourselves.

BIS marketing is aimed at people who know it exists and are going to buy the game anyways

Just promoting it as solely super hardcore simulator will doom it to a "niche" game existance.

Arma already has an answer to Battlefield. Advance and Secure and Berzerk.

There are tons of pissed off Battlefield players upset about BC2 and consolization who would make the jump if they only knew the game and modes like AAS existed.

Youtube. a free advertising venue.... Right up to release day. nothing but blurry SD crap was there. Hell BIS even requested most of it removed yet they didn't offer anything as an alternative until late in the game.

Arma 2 multiplayer debate

the issues

1 PC gaming, yes even this is an issue I had to speak with my friend for a week just to get him at a basic knowledge level of pc parts, gaming on PC ect

2. System requirements not everyone has a job and can afford to buy or update their rig to meet the high requirements of the RV engine.

3. Arma 2 doesnt get enough attention on the "BIG" video game sites like Gametrailers, IGN, Giant bomb etc

4. Arma 2 is a niche its no COD even though we could make it into one, alot of the people just dont want to spend the required time to learn arma 2 and to sit around for a game to load up just to have the mission or server die moments later

5. The misconceptions like I have to wait around for 40 minutes without doing anything just to be killed.

I have my own reasons why I dont play MP on arma 2 honestly I think it outright sucks and is a waste of time. The people online I ran into tend to be arseholes (I wasnt being rude or breaking a rule).

This kind of game will never see more than 2k online sadly.

Some ideas to help the situation

Take AAS rename it to something an average joe would know like Conquest or something, post a shit ton of high quality videos of online gameplay with randoms not your clan.

Highlight what system specs you could play the mission reasonably

dont mention the "HARDCORE" or milsim aspect of it its too intimidating to the new comers.

A good presentation is key here, like Dyslexias TrackIR video on youtube got over 500k views I believe the guy was smart and well spoken and presented the material in a professional manner.

Point people where to download this material and try to leave out complex things like the live updater platforms like yoma and sixupdater again intimidation at its finest

RichieSpeed I think is the best person in this business, we need more people like him that are talented video editors to start an Arma 2 Operation Multiplayer overload campaign.

My 2 cents for what there worth

Edited by Flash Thunder

What drove me away from MP was not the addons or mods used, but the maps that are constantly played. See my signature for an example.

Urgh, are you still here?

When was the last time you went to dinner? Went to a movie? Went to a bar? How much did you spend there? $40 on dinner? $10 on the movie? $100 in the bar? How long did it last? an hour? 2 hours? 4 hours?

That $50 for a years worth of gaming and then another $40 for a top up seems like a good investment to me.

I've bought every title BI has released, so lets say I've spent $350 on all BI products. I've been playing/modding/whatever for 10 years. Thats 35 dollars a year for entertainment. Fuck, I spend 3 times that when I go to a bar and that only lasts one night.

You greedy little bastards make me sick. "Oh noes, BI are charging too much! It adds up! They're soo greedy"

Do us all a favour and GTFO.

Cept for the gtfo i agree with DM. Ive been arround just as long. And the money i spent on ofp, vbs, arma games is peanuts compaired to what was spent on women and boose in the same 10 years.

I think if you dont want to spend the money on DLC.. its pretty easy. Last time i checked BIS didten have a gun to oure faces forcing us to pay up. If you dont want to.. then DONT! its that simple :)

I've already made a request for an AAS walk-through video about a month ago

on BCACatToaster's Youtube channel.

I noticed there were lots of AAS videos but none of them show you what it's about and how to play.

AAS could be used to snatch all the disgruntled Battlefield players sick of the bunnyhopping, insta-proning and consolization of BF.

Without getting involved in the pissing contest going on above, I'd love to see more content for OpFor added into the game, whether for the Takistanis or the Russians or both.

Two examples off the top of my head include:

SA-9 for the Takistanis

MI-28 for the Russians

And of course, my number one wish is to see Arma 2 content updated to OA standards.

Whatever happened to the customer is always right?

Most people who are still in business realised that the customer is always a moron. FPDR

---------- Post added at 16:35 ---------- Previous post was at 16:29 ----------

BIS should be leaving the, more than willing, community to make the addons, and concentrating on making the game more player friendly (movement), performance tweaks, and certain other enhancements

Epic comprehension fail.

As usual, those of us with more than one brain cell are left explaining that:

the people who make the DLC are NOT the same people who make the animations/control schemes, the engine tweaks and the other "enhancements".

Basically, what you're saying is "fuck the aritsts, they can all be fired. I just want to wait the same amount of time for my engine fixes as I would if they were still working, but I want to suffer it without any new content!"

FPDR

Whatever happened to those 'BlackWater' PMC types we saw a two months back? I thought we were told they would be DLC?

Originally Posted by Rolexman

Well, I'm done posting. If they want this to go the way of the dodo, then so be it. Arrogance and stubbornness will be the culprit.

Hope to see someone on the servers in the later future.

Good luck getting through to these people jblackrupert.

Priceless.

I imagine we wont see you on the servers, becuase by all accounts there will be none, nor a community and it will all be do do.

Toodlepip.

:goodnight:

Edited by mrcash2009

27511551.jpg

Couldn't have said it any better if I tried.

Edited by Zipper5
Fixed the fail

Couldn't have said it any better if I tried.

But your pic suggests something other than DM's message doesn't it.... kinda misses the rather important "NOT".

Er, yeah, what Rock said. :p Quick, edit it!

But your pic suggests something other than DM's message doesn't it.... kinda misses the rather important "NOT".

10 chars of this. Thanks for the vote tho :cool:

:yay:

Lmao, well, I'm currently without any access to image editing software so I had to use one of those generators which wouldn't crop properly. Sorry. :p

Edit: Thanks to the marvels of Paint there's now one that doesn't fail so hard. :D

Edited by Zipper5
Noting the fixed failure

Arma already has an answer to Battlefield. Advance and Secure and Berzerk.

There are tons of pissed off Battlefield players upset about BC2 and consolization who would make the jump if they only knew the game and modes like AAS existed.

Absolutely.

Many of those posters on the BC2 forums who constantly express forlorn hopes that DICE will return to form and concentrate on the PC platform with BF3 would do better to realise that the Arma 2 engine can be - and in the instance of some servers, already is - everything they're begging for in BF3.

If / when PR Arma 2 arrives, hopefully a good many more gamers will try out competitive team vs team play in Arma 2. The mere announcement that PR was working on the engine made many over on their forums take the game seriously for the first time (first time since OFP for others).

For some reason, a large number of gamers have closed their minds entirely to Arma 2, and have a perception of it as something it is not. I don't think the single-player campaigns that ship with the game help it at all. Things like the easy support module go some way in the right direction, but the cool features have to be advertised far more and must be more accessible within the first hours of gameplay.

Look at something like Mando missile. Most gamers - including any of those who have never seen Arma2 / those who have crossed A2 off their 'to try' list - would find it orgasmically exciting :slayer2:. There has to be a way that gamers trying A2 can encounter the really cool stuff within the first hour of play as well as seeing that the game can offer great realism. THE REALISM ELEMENT DOES NOT MEAN BORING AND NO COOL STUFF! Because, at the moment, that's the perception of the game of most people outside the community.

Sad thing is, the cool stuff is all already in place. Selling some new unit skins and three different configurations of L85a2 is going to have a market of precisely the people already in this community, and is only going to reinforce the 'this engine is only for military LARPing' perception.

Videos made by people like RichieSpeed have clearly done a great deal to introduce new customers to the franchise - you see comments attached to them from people who can't believe what can be done in the A2 engine. But it makes you think that any campaign there has been to widen interest in the game could have been much more effective. Dragon Rising was :torture:, but their advertising department were pretty damned effective.

not a fan of the brits. their armors don't catch my attention and they have silly uniforms.

imho.

i'm waiting for something like a dedicated stryker pack with different modules and variations, correct crew and equipment. that is something i would be willing to pay 10 bucks for.

a few custom brit helmets, backpacks and some armors and choppers ain't gonna do it.

How did you say that "intelligent" quote? "EPIC FAIL" LOL

Whether or not, the customers are morons, they are still the ones supporting it. Being arrogant is bad business practice.

Edited by Rolexman

Hasn't Rolexman been banned yet?

FPDR

Why would that happen, techno?

I have merely given personal advice about DLC, and the direction of this game, based on my opinions, experience, and forethought.

I haven't flamed the game or spouted boycott rallies.

I enjoy playing this game and have coerced hundreds to purchase it.

---------- Post added at 12:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 AM ----------

what would all BIS artists do than Rolexman FPDR

umm...........go paint a picture?

They get jobs doing another project, until they are needed again.

I doubt they are full time. Maybe contracted.

---------- Post added at 12:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 AM ----------

Most people who are still in business realised that the customer is always a moron. FPDR

---------- Post added at 16:35 ---------- Previous post was at 16:29 ----------

Epic comprehension fail.

As usual, those of us with more than one brain cell are left explaining that:

the people who make the DLC are NOT the same people who make the animations/control schemes, the engine tweaks and the other "enhancements".

Basically, what you're saying is "fuck the aritsts, they can all be fired. I just want to wait the same amount of time for my engine fixes as I would if they were still working, but I want to suffer it without any new content!"

FPDR

Yep. That's what I meant.

Edited by Rolexman

Well, I'm done posting.

So not only are you miss-informed, but you're a liar too? Nice...