Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2 (OA) : DLC discussion thread

And one more time we have the "oh that will split the community zomg zomg" discussion.

If a server is using (paid) DLC in one of his missions, how should BIS achieve that a player who does not have this (paid) DLC is not screwed? Automatically give him the DLC without paying so he is not screwed and can join the server?

Of course people will be screwed if they don't have a (paid) DLC a server is using. Paid DLC most probably will come, no matter how many here complain about "splitting the community".

but you seem to be so ignorant to the fact that it will happen. Don't just write it off as not being possible.

And one more time we have the "oh that will split the community zomg zomg" discussion.

If a server is using (paid) DLC in one of his missions, how should BIS achieve that a player who does not have this (paid) DLC is not screwed? Automatically give him the DLC without paying so he is not screwed and can join the server?

Of course people will be screwed if they don't have a (paid) DLC a server is using. Paid DLC most probably will come, no matter how many here complain about "splitting the community".

I don't know if you're just tired of the discussion, but I'd like it if you would not treat me like someone who posts "This will split zeh community zomg zomg DLC is balls, lol", since I didn't. Thank you.

I posted that I'm willing to pay for DLC.

I'm not saying that I have a solution for the splitting up the playerbase matter. I'm simply saying that BIS should at least -try- to make DLC as compatible as possible.

I don't say it will not happen. Of course it will happen and of course people will complain about feeling "left out". But it is not any different as with any other game with paid DLC out there.

Just because everything was free for the past 9 years means not everything will be for free the next years.

Elric de Melnibone

I'm not tired of this, it's just that it won't change anything no matter how many times we have this discussion. If BI wants to survive it needs to make money, it's a company as any other too and their employees don't work for free nor they get the hardware or even the electricity for free. :)

Unfortunately the only "compatibility" they can provide is the user purchasing the DLC being used or move to another server where no addons (or DLC) is used.

Like I said before (and Sander just now): The situation is the same now, every 100kb addon splits the community if the player who wants to join a server doesn't have this addon installed. The only difference is that the 100kb addon is for free and the DLC must be purchased.

But again: Let us not condemn BIS for that attempt. Instead let us wait when that paid DLC will come and what it will bring us. Then we can still complain and condemn them. :)

Oh, I'm not condemning BIS by any means.

I will wait for how the handle DLC, and I will most likely buy it. :)

Ye know, that's all I wanted to hear, really.

You are completely right - Every single mod is splitting up "the community", since Operation Flashpoint. Don't have that addon? Can't join. Have that addon, the server does not? Can't join. (In most cases, anyway)

It's a logical and quite simple way to handle it: Want to play with them and don't have the addons? Go get the mod. Want to play with them but have your own addons, possibly cheats? Get rid of them, at least for while you're playing on that server.

Modfolders are a great way of doing that.

All I want is BIS keeping it that way and making DLC -not- more complicated than any mod out there.

I bet that if the DLC includes a 3D editor , no matter how anti payed DLC someone might be , they will pay for it . I know I would .

3D Editor is for girls. Real men use the 2D editor. ;)

I think in the case of infantry units at least it would be possible to use a replacement config such that those without the DLC would see a vanilla unit instead, they might want to think about solutions along this line.

LOL after 10 hours of getPos setPos and going from editor to game to see how things appear you would love to be one of those girls :p

you would love to be one of those girls :p

Each man has his own fantasy I guess :bigsmile: But yeah, having to do all that typing constantly is just annoying. Simple things like setHeight (which only exist as function btw) and setVectorUp (to get things pointing up!!), should have editable slots directly in the editor.

Edited by CarlGustaffa

Why don't BIS inform us a bit of what a DLC will contain?It would be nice to know there plans.

That's a nice quote. Though the 3D editor does have its uses (really speeds up building camps/placing objects in buildings/etc...) the 2D editor is still the best option.

Sahrani took a team of 5 - 10 guys, working 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, well over a year, as did Chenarus.

So why not upgrade Sahrani to an "official standard", using new features (trees, roads, whatever) and new enterable houses? I also wouldn't mind "theme variations" on Chernarus; Pre war (fully functional, what we have now I guess), Mid war (partly blown to bits certain places, more military bases), Post war (much in ruins, but newly built lumber mills to support the needed re-buildup), maybe "upgraded" with less dense trees and some changes to the grass (more patches of less grass) making us have more choices.

Full islands take ages to support the detail we need. But I wouldn't mind some recycled ones, but upgraded (correct map coords i.e., apparent for the OA content at least).

Let's say, hypothetically, that BIS were planning to release a DLC containing the following:

• British forces including basic infantry types with appropriate weapons, transport helicopter, attack helicopter, MBT, light armored vehicle and a ground transport vehicle.
  • Black Element PMCs with two or three new weapons, a transport heli and a ground transport vehicle.
  • Karzeghistan, a new 150km² terrain.

No new game engine features, no campaign (except perhaps a couple of SP missions), just units and terrain.

What would you be willing to pay for it? And would you be willing to pay more if it contained a campaign?

I would DEFINITELY pay for something like that! That would be awesome.

To be honest, I would prefer DLCs with more Terrains/Maps. Obviously they are among the hardest things to make for ArmA, so it would take some stress off of modders and let BIS get some money for their hard work!

More units would be nice aswell. :)

@Wolfstriked- Yeah I feel the same way....

I wish BIS would just tell us what they plan on doing for DLC and what is gonna be in OA and what isnt. Not rely on some Youtube comment to inform the community.

While you can communicate with BIS Devs better than anyother Game Developer, they are very stubborn and won't really tell you anything than most other game developers would.

I would love a list of exactly what units will be in OA....So we can finally clear up this whole "BRITISH AND PMCS IN OA!? MEBBE!? MEEBE NOT!?" discussion. But I doubt BIS will do that, since they are so keen on using old world czech riddles that can never be figured out instead of answering with a yes or no.

Edited by Enad

Don't forget some new buildings and objects with the maps.

I think I would buy such stuff. A pack with units and a map. I can't be bothered about missions for them, although it will probally be fun to play with them.

The point is, though, if we get a new faction as DLC, I would love to see atleast 2 differend camos for them. Desert and temperate/woodlandish or something. Would buy them anyways. :P

I would pay $20-$30 if BIS wrote a comprehensive guide to ArmA 2. Both addon making, map making, as well as scripting etc.

Why don't BIS inform us a bit of what a DLC will contain?It would be nice to know there plans.

I guess its not as easy as just telling everyone what they are planning, infact BIS probably don't really know what the DLC will be or how best to deliver it. They probably have to think about Promo issues with just telling people their future business plans.

Either way, there isn't too much point discussing all this until BIS do say something, or we get some DLC... I'm still just looking forward to Op:A

Yeah Enad,they are good but not the best.I would say that Taleworlds,developers of Mount & Blade,are the best with no comparison.They change the game solely on player input.Players want certain horse to turn better,more powerful hits for a certain sword,lower swing from horse etc and they do it if the masses agree on it.They post daily also.

---------- Post added at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

I guess its not as easy as just telling everyone what they are planning, infact BIS probably don't really know what the DLC will be or how best to deliver it. They probably have to think about Promo issues with just telling people their future business plans.

Either way, there isn't too much point discussing all this until BIS do say something, or we get some DLC... I'm still just looking forward to Op:A

We do jump ahead alot here.:eek:

As some others here, the thing i probably would pay for, are big, detailed islands. Maybe also for new factions. But certainly not for campains.

As long as the dlc does not meen there wont be any support for modders anymore, i dont mind.

As some others here, the thing i probably would pay for, are big, detailed islands. Maybe also for new factions. But certainly not for campains.

Exactly. Same here.

I wouldnt pay DLC, I pay'd an expansion with a nice game play without bug, better animation, and PVP modality improved.

I think a good game ww2 based, with little island (with submarine and Naval support) or desert scenarios should be more playble than modern warfare using RV3 engine and that is good to do money for a new engine for arma 2.

For this comunity a game ww2 based isn't a good idea but I think out of here many peaple buy'd a game with all kind of vehicles playble in a large on line battles.

Edited by Eagles-=Fly=-

LOL after 10 hours of getPos setPos and going from editor to game to see how things appear you would love to be one of those girls :p

Oh LOL,

The free 3d editor is quite handy once you get used to its quirks, but I would also pay for one developed by BIS

3d editor saves lives and time.

3D editor is for People who dont want to waste their gaming time

see what i did there?

Oh LOL,

but I would also pay for one developed by BIS

The current on is developed by BIS.

Are you saying a FULLY FUNCTIONAL one developed by BIS?

3d editor saves lives and time.

3D editor is for People who dont want to waste their gaming time

see what i did there?

ionos created a real good 3d editor for aram1 with lots of innovation, also i think for arma2 but i couldn't get it working much. So would love to see BIS flesh out an easy to use 3d editor with more features that making editing easy (like drag 'n drop weapon kit outs, drop down menus allowing the changing of things like modules settings simpler, etc.)

hope bis doesn't get too much in the habit of buying existing modder content and sell it back to the community (like the scars to be included in OA AFAIK.) that's a bad proposition for the community.

but original content would be welcome.

what i'd be prepared to pay.

1. for a new set of troops and weapons and vehicles - $5.

2. for a new set of troops and weapons and vehicles and the guarantee of a free to all collection of user requested additions to the engine of arma2 (ie, in magazine ammo count that could be reference by script, advanced damage modeling of vehciles, etc) - $10

3. For new terrain pack (same quality of course as arma2 official ones) - $5

4. For a pack of extended editing tools that have been much asked for like AAR, extended 3d editor, etc that the community have been salivating over - $10

5. for new campaign - $5

thinks that's tight arse? nope. cause if BIS combines two or more of these the prices combine as well. also keeping prices low means more people can buy them and so greater volume of sales for more profit.

i support bis a lot. as a game developer they have provided a great game, awesome patching and improvements, and very powerful modding tool/capabilities (i finished the cmapaign and included SP miissions fast but the editor and great used made mods like ACE2 and DAC to just name a few keep me going). If i could i'd buy my oa direct from them so they get the full value of money paid. but importantly, i trust that BIS realises how the modding capacities for arma2 are very important and not to be jeopardised.

Just thought I should quote a part of the latest AAN article here.

"We obviously need to look at different business models, and evaluate the most appropriate ways of getting our very popular product to market. Sometimes these moves can spark controversy; sometimes it's justified, sometimes it isn't. Ultimately, Our loyal customers need to appreciate that the company has always put the consumer at the heart of its business choices, and that is certainly not something that is going to change"