Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2 (OA) : DLC discussion thread

JojoTheSlayer:

pchaXor->kissass.gif<-JojoTheSlayer

You got that right, but forgot the labels. ;)

Hay!

The rules are, if you are slightly going to try to insult someone on the forums you have to bring your own gifs. This is borderline piracy of "my" gif.

I stole that in good faith from another site you know. :p jk

What's Project Reality? Nobody from my 30+ steam friend list who has/plays Arma 2 uses that.

Breaking news: average player does not use any community mods. Also, while I really appreciate some efforts, average quality of these mods isn't that high.

I have to disagree with you.Most mods out there are of outstanding quality.There is a great group of modder's,too many to mention and the ACE mod is the best.Its hurdles ahead of the Vanilla game.

I will pay easily $10 for quality DLC like we saw in BAF and even up to $20 with double the content than we saw in BAF! Keep up the great work BIS and I hope you continue to support ArmA II with DLC for the forseeable future!

Now, how about the Bundeswehr next followed up with France, Spain, Czech Republic, Poland, Hungary, Belgium, awww heck, you get the idea...

:)

Edited by Sgt Mack

I have to disagree with you.Most mods out there are of outstanding quality.There is a great group of modder's,too many to mention and the ACE mod is the best.Its hurdles ahead of the Vanilla game.

Well, whatever suits you best, but personally I find ACE completely redundant and adding nothing to game play, except a lot of unnecessary burden and annoyance, especially after release of OA. No one of my Steam friends list uses it since OA release.

There are some great mods like Zeus and JTD, but even these are not really very popular outside of this forum.

Other than that, I just really want to support BIS who is one of the few true PC developer left. Waiting for more DLC!

I just checked out Meridian 4 - that's THE option for people like me having no credit card or paypal account :)

That was one more DLC sale for BIS :yay:

but if your in Canada. The wire transfer fee is $30!

Edited by jblackrupert

Well, whatever suits you best, but personally I find ACE completely redundant and adding nothing to game play, except a lot of unnecessary burden and annoyance, especially after release of OA. No one of my Steam friends list uses it since OA release.

There are some great mods like Zeus and JTD, but even these are not really very popular outside of this forum.

Other than that, I just really want to support BIS who is one of the few true PC developer left. Waiting for more DLC!

That's your prerogative but by saying "redundant" I presume you mean steeper learning curve.Some prefer more realism then the stock game has.Most of your realism clans or tournaments use ACE or a modified version of it to include ATOW and USOC.Ace is very popular.Also to note that ACE paved the way for many things that BIS is now including in the stock game.That's not to say the stock game is bad but ACE just enhances it.

I just prefer a lot more options and abilities then the stock game offers.Besides by buying the product alone,you are supporting BIS regardless of what mods you add.

Regards,

Edited by WarriorM4

i have bought everything BIS has ever made, just like a lot of others here and just today bought BAF. Its great love the extra missions and campaign, so hope to see more for the same price.

I would love BIS to do some more missions using the existing stuff, I for one dont have time to sift through all the user made stuff to find a fun campaign or mission and trust BIS so am happy to pay for official stuff.

I love the mission just flying the Merlin, wish there were some more missions like that, plus would love a full campaign as a pilot, taking part in huge troop lifts and flying CAS in various choppers.

So please more missions for Arma 2 & OA & BAF plus paid DLC for more factions/ campaigns.

Keep it up love OA and BAF are both big improvements over vanilla Arma 2.

Maybe a multiplayer DLC would be cool too, maybe one which was easier to drop in and out of, sort of like battlefield 2 but using the arma engine and only a chunk of the map with flags to cap and tickets to bleed from the enemy. Think that could be good and maybe bring more players to Arma the people who enjoy the more hardcore stuff dont have to play it if they dont want.

Maybe a multiplayer DLC would be cool too, maybe one which was easier to drop in and out of, sort of like battlefield 2 but using the arma engine and only a chunk of the map with flags to cap and tickets to bleed from the enemy.

Already exists in a way but without the tickets and random flag capturing.

Advance and Secure (Put "AAS" in the browser filter)

http://www.advanceandsecure.com/

Someone else also made a Battefield 2 mode with flags that can be capped in any order

but it never appears on servers and the creator stopped doing any work on it.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=7630&highlight=BATTLEFIELD+2

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=8371&highlight=BATTLEFIELD+2

Baserape is prevented with scripts that announce to the server that someone is

entering the base and any shots fired in the base (X-Ray) won't hit anything.

Bohemia could do a little more in promoting the fact that these simpler modes of play exist instead of concentrating solely on advertising the game as a super hardcore sim.

Work on AAS is still continuing so more and more things from Battlefield could be intergrated into it.

Hi,

I just wrote down a few things that go through my mind since the DLC started and I would like to see if there are more people that think the same way or I am just watching it the wrong way.

I think that DLC will divide the community into small groups that are limited by there addons.

Its already a pain in the ass that many maps include the brit units even only a few people have them, the rest has to deal with blurred sights and so on.

I understand that for BIS its more interesting to sell a game in small pieces that multiply a higher price then a regular game could but in my personal opinion the DLC is not worth it.

I have also doubts that BIS will be able to hold community addons down by enforcing a strict copy right. Most people that use BIS content to create something new probably do so because BIS does not really share the needed informations as it would be required if you are supposed to start from the scratch.

On the other hand projects that could realy improve the game such as a working real time editor get kicked out.

Its already a pain in the ass that many maps include the brit units even only a few people have them

Wrong, most people have the BAF DLC, it is really good and you get alot more than what you would get from other companies DLC packages. The poll in this thread would tell you that.

I have also doubts that BIS will be able to hold community addons down by enforcing a strict copy right. Most people that use BIS content to create something new probably do so because BIS does not really share the needed informations as it would be required if you are supposed to start from the scratch.

What? There are alot of references on the biwiki. What is missing? If it is sample models, they will come in due time.

I just wrote down a few things that go through my mind since the DLC started and I would like to see if there are more people that think the same way or I am just watching it the wrong way.

You are in the minority, the loudest minority. And i cant believe that you are not happy with the Lite version of BAF, it is what doesnt split the MP community. BAF is far from expensive compared to what it offers.

To me it only costs like 1/17 of a standard Saturday beerconsuming barvisit, and it doesnt give me a hangover.

Edited by Jelliz

Don't forget about BAF Lite and, most likely, PMC Lite. No MP computability issues. If you don't think it's worth it then replace your BAF or PMC-specific weapon with a different one.

We don't need another thread that hastily jumps to conclusions that BIS handle their DLC just like every other company out there. They're different in the sense that they care about their community.

In general: As long as enough people will buy even smaller pieces - why a company should create and release a big & great cake? Perhaps you should ask all DLC buyers why they can't wait and buy all those small pieces.

Guess that BIS had adapt their own philosophy to the DLC thingy or to make it simple: if there is no profit - there is no BIS. Regardless how fanboys are protecting their own gameworld, for a company and working people there - its all about getting money and to make a living from. The bills have to be paid with real euros, dollars etc. ;)

Let me explain my view on DLCs to you:

BI doesn't split the community to those who have and those who don't. They've eliminated this problem with the introduction of BAF Lite, so people who didn't buy it -thus presumably do not wish to play with (THEIR) British Army- don't have compatibility problems with servers. DLCs are available for many games developed by many type of companies -ranging from such moneymongering a***holes as EA to more creative ones like Bethesda. Latter's Fallout 3 also has four or five DLCs, yet I didn't hear any thoughts like that in their community.

I have also doubts that BIS will be able to hold community addons down by enforcing a strict copy right.

You're not serious, right? Of course BI have the copyright for the game and it's their decision how accessible will they make its code for the public - with the many addons how strict would that be? And why would they want to hold community addons? Did you hear any objection from BI regarding Project Reality, P:UKF or RKSL (related to British stuff)?

On the other hand projects that could realy improve the game such as a working real time editor get kicked out.

Would you please explain what is the basis of this statement? Is it about ArmA 2's own (and yet very half-baked) or the community made editor? Because the latter I highly doubt BI tried to "kick out".

I understand that for BIS its more interesting to sell a game in small pieces that multiply a higher price then a regular game could but in my personal opinion the DLC is not worth it.

Maybe, but with the multiplied price you get muliplied content, don't you?

---------- Post added at 11:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 AM ----------

Guess that BIS had adapt their own philosophy to the DLC thingy or to make it simple: if there is no profit - there is no BIS. Regardless how fanboys are protecting their own gameworld, for a company and working people there - its all about getting money and to make a living from. The bills have to be paid with real euros, dollars etc. ;)

Also agree with that

2vjueyb.jpg

Oh look, its THIS thread again

Seriously, the "it will divide the community" nonsense has been done.

To death.

The community is ALREADY divided. Those people who want to play together will, everyone else makes do with whatever servers are available.

Doing away with patches, DLC and addons (a-la CoD) would be the only way to truly "unify" things, since everyone would be on the same version with the same data. But that would suck, and we dont want that.

Edit: This made more sense before radioshack's thread was merged with this one...

Edited by DM

It's a business and as a business, it's primary function is to turn a profit (otherwise, NO business) - and to be fair to BIS, their BAF DLC was worth the $10.00 and I haven't been able to say the same about any other game's DLC, EVER.

As at least 1000 people have stated before me, if DLC doesn't interest you, don't purchase DLC.

It really is that simple :)

I find DLC to be a fabolous businessmodel, in principle. The problem is that people buy things offered without checking them, hence things like the Stimulus Pack or the Oblivion Horse Armour get sold despite being shameless ripoffs. That´s not the company´s fault, though.

There is enough information out there today to see what a DLC contains and if it is worth its money, so if somebody buy a ripoff-dlc and whine later, it´s their own fault.

As for the BIS DLC, the first one was fantastic, and I don´t regret buying it.

Anyway, the solution BIS used to prevent the division of the community in the use of "Lite" versions of their addon was a stroke of absolutely never-before-seen brilliance that redefines the way we, as consumers, look at DLC. Instead of a case of "nyah nyah you can't have the full game experience without paying for more!" it's a case of "we're offering this extra stuff to help pay for patches and the next game and such, but don't worry if you don't want to buy it, you can still play with your friends and enjoy the new units and such". So yeah, basically all arguments AGAINST DLC in Arma 2 have become moot through the simple expedient of Lite versions. Win on all sides! Go BIS!

Regards,

Wolfrug

Its already a pain in the ass that many maps include the brit units even only a few people have them, the rest has to deal with blurred sights and so on.

Easy solution - spent the price of two average cinema tickets and buy the DLC, or use the free but blurred lite version. There, problem solved.

absolutely never-before-seen brilliance

As nice as BAF/PMC Lite concept is, it's not the first time it's been used in games with DLC/AddOns. :)

As nice as BAF/PMC Lite concept is, it's not the first time it's been used in games with DLC/AddOns. :)

...because was used before in... ?

2vjueyb.jpg

Oh look, its THIS thread again

Seriously, the "it will divide the community" nonsense has been done.

To death.

The community is ALREADY divided. Those people who want to play together will, everyone else makes do with whatever servers are available.

Doing away with patches, DLC and addons (a-la CoD) would be the only way to truly "unify" things, since everyone would be on the same version with the same data. But that would suck, and we dont want that.

I don't feel that new expansions split the community. Far from it.

The more new content is available the more players you are likely to see online.

What kills the community is when they have nothing new to do. When they get bored and drift away.

Misread. Please delete.

Edited by Zipper5
*facepalm*

It's a business and as a business, it's primary function is to turn a profit (otherwise, NO business) - and to be fair to BIS, their BAF DLC was worth the $10.00 and I haven't been able to say the same about any other game's DLC, EVER.

As at least 1000 people have stated before me, if DLC doesn't interest you, don't purchase DLC.

It really is that simple :)

True.

More DLC => More money for BI => More frequent and free engine upgrades available to everybody => More dancing bananas :yay:

True.

More DLC => More money for BI => More frequent and free engine upgrades available to everybody => More dancing bananas :yay:

Amen :yay::yay: