Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2 (OA) : DLC discussion thread

The Expansion pack was primarily a Stand Alone game. I don't think the amount of content it added qualifies it as an expansion pack.

And again, you chose to buy it, why can't they release dome DLC too? Is $10 really that much? Or are you broke?

I'll sell my Rolex, if I run out of money. :P

It's definitely an expansion pack.

Because releasing DLC with that little content is going to split up the MP servers.

You are going to have 20 different packs with different forces and weapons. I'm sure that is their intention. That'd be insane.

Then say goodbye to the community. They aren't going to compete with free stuff.

lol, yes, because BIS are headless chickens! :)

Sarcasm

Lol ffs, stop being a conspiracy theorist, BIS are not retarded! ;)

I'm not against DLC

I don't have a problem with the price or whats included.

It's a simple "What if" scenario that could happen. All servers switch

and everyone who buys the game and for whatever reason doesn't have the DLC and is faced with nothing but kicks on top of the ones

new players face with existing addons and mods.

Yes some anti-DLC posters are a little bit rabid about Bohemia joining the "dark side" and that. but it's really not any better then saying "Don't be cheap"

Nothing wrong with throwing some ideas around in the off chance

that it happens.

DLC is a sensitive issue in the PC world and every company that

gets into it has had good, bad and downright horrible reactions

and success with it.

If we have some kind of plan in place, some ideas on how to avoid

annoying as many people as possible all the better and Bohemia

can be seen as the guys who sets the example for everyone else.

"What if?"

I hate that question. There are very few scenarios where it's actually a useful question.

Most of the time it's just an excuse to cause trouble.

I'm not against DLC

I don't have a problem with the price or whats included.

It's a simple "What if" scenario that could happen. All servers switch

and everyone who buys the game and for whatever reason doesn't have the DLC and is faced with nothing but kicks on top of the ones

new players face with existing addons and mods.

Yes some anti-DLC posters are a little bit rabid about Bohemia joining the "dark side" and that. but it's really not any better then saying "Don't be cheap"

Nothing wrong with throwing some ideas around in the off chance

that it happens.

DLC is a sensitive issue in the PC world and every company that

gets into it has had good, bad and downright horrible reactions

and success with it.

If we have some kind of plan in place, some ideas on how to avoid

annoying as many people as possible all the better and Bohemia

can be seen as the guys who sets the example for everyone else.

Yes. Look what Activision and IW did to the Call Of Duty series. Perfect example of what can happen.

---------- Post added at 09:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 AM ----------

"What if?"

I hate that question. There are very few scenarios where it's actually a useful question.

Most of the time it's just an excuse to cause trouble.

"What if?" is what separates the people from the sheeple.

Yes. Look what Activision and IW did to the Call Of Duty series. Perfect example of what can happen.

Wow. I give up on you Rolex. BIS are not stupid, they are not mainstream, and they are not money whores.

And for what it's worth, despite the fact it's a very different style of game to Arma 2, call of duty is one of the highest rated and largest selling video games of all time, the developers achieved exactly what they wanted too.

BIS will also achieve what they want, unlike most of the users here seem to think, BIS actually know what they are doing. If there aim is to release DLC that will cause no conflicts, that's what they will do.

If their aim is to release DLC that will totally disband the community, that's what they will do.

But obviously their aim is not the latter, so I don't see why you keep acting like they are stupid.

---------- Post added at 10:18 ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 ----------

"What if?" is what separates the people from the sheeple.

"What if?" example:

"Politician: OMG, what if Japan invade us? They have too many people! We will die!!!"

Public response:

"OMFG! He is right! Quick, nuke them before they get here!"

*Japan gets nuked*

During the whole time, Japan never had any plans whatsoever to invade the politicians country. But the politician used "what if?" to create false fear/anger/speculation, and caused a stupid conflict that never even existed.

Wow. I give up on you Rolex. BIS are not stupid, they are not mainstream, and they are not money whores.

And for what it's worth, despite the fact it's a very different style of game to Arma 2, call of duty is one of the highest rated and largest selling video games of all time, the developers achieved exactly what they wanted too.

BIS will also achieve what they want, unlike most of the users here seem to think, BIS actually know what they are doing. If there aim is to release DLC that will cause no conflicts, that's what they will do.

If their aim is to release DLC that will totally disband the community, that's what they will do.

But obviously their aim is not the latter, so I don't see why you keep acting like they are stupid.

---------- Post added at 10:18 ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 ----------

"What if?" example:

"Politician: OMG, what if Japan invade us? They have too many people! We will die!!!"

Public response:

"OMFG! He is right! Quick, nuke them before they get here!"

*Japan gets nuked*

During the whole time, Japan never had any plans whatsoever to invade the politicians country. But the politician used "what if?" to create false fear/anger/speculation, and caused a stupid conflict that never even existed.

I thought IW would never screw over the PC gamers, as they were the ones who made them so famous.

"What if" the politician is lying to us? The sheeple just believe whatever they are told.

No no, the conspiracists are just as stupid as the sheeple.

The wise ones are those who sit back, get their fact straight, and then make a judgement.

;)

Just my 2 cents:

DLC's that "only" add content like units, vehicles and missions wont do much harm to any community. Its up to the people and serveradmins if they like to use paid or free DLCs. ;)

DLC's that change something in the engine or give an advantage over default/free content users will probably split the community faster.

Of course people will need a userfriendly mission interface that:

+ exactly show wich addons/mods/DLC's versions are required to play

+ have a configurable link to download and install required stuff

+ get a brief information about the mission

+ add a feature/tool for server admins to swap easily from A2 only to AO only to A2OA/Combined Operation to A2OA+DLC and vice versa.

"What if" - BIS would have to play/use A2OA for 24/7? :icon_twisted:

No no, the conspiracists are just as stupid as the sheeple.

The wise ones are those who sit back, get their fact straight, and then make a judgement.

;)

The conspirators are power hungry, the "what if's" keep the conspirators from becoming too powerful, and the sheeple flow to whomever they seem safest with.

LOL KK gotta hit the hay. fun chats!!! Of course, the mods are going to be pissed, so if I'm banned, see you on the virtual battlefield. (as long as you aren't on a BAF server) LMAO

I thought IW would never screw over the PC gamers, as they were the ones who made them so famous.

IW were clearly misguided as was evidenced by the lack of dedicated servers in MW2, they make games for consoles as well as PCs and made the mistake of assuming everyone wanted the same experience. Clearly that was a fail of biblical proportions. Fortunately Arma 2 is not a console game (I'd love to see a ps3 attempt to deal with it though just to prove that it can't) so I don't see BIS making the same kind of mistakes.

I'm pretty sure Bohemia is considering the "What if" scenarios

just adding FLIR to the mix was probably something that could have made

a mess of PvP MP. I'm sure Bohemia considered it tested it.

I have no idea how FLIR is working out yet since I don't OA yet

but there has been 1 post on Armacalaypse.com asking for FLIR

to be limited to certain vehicles. It does behave someowhat like a dumbed down CHAMS. (Allows players to see players through fog, buildings...etc)

Unlike other companies they're giving us a lot more time to react to the announcement

so I'm sure their interested in some feedback.

I don't like ACE. hate it actually, and I don't care for Domination and anything where you spend hours just picking off retarded AI and blowing up radio tower after radio tower

bores me to tears.

Remove all those servers off the list and it's pretty slim pickins

add the servers running addons galore some of with obscure names

and next to impossible to identify to get them it makes that list smaller.

Arma virgins are going to have some real fun trying to join MP if the DLC

isn't done right.

Booster packs didn't harm Battlefield in any way but the same time EA does run dedicated vanilla servers in several locations.

Edited by jblackrupert

Uhh... "state: Boolean - true to turn the engine on, false to turn it off"? :D

Thanks for command. Didn't know it existed. Now all we need is a selection for the TI device on the vehicle, and some good heavy caliber snipers :p

I like the idea of DLC. After seeing how the first DLC is being presented, I will finally comment. Not that I'm thrilled at the 'actual' content... but I'm glad they are offering DLC now. I would think I'll buy every one made available, at least just to show my support... even if it means units with British accents. :) jk

Arma is like my big sandbox and sometimes new toys for it is good. I don't mind paying for those new toys either. I might have missed something in the last 69 pages but I would be even happier if BIS bought some stuff off the talented people here (which I kind of think they already may do). That way I'm contributing to all involved. I'm not the donating type, but offer me something worth paying for and I'll pay.

I have spent more time enjoying this game/series than all the other game/series I have ever played combined... even the ones I paid $15/month to play (for years).

So yeah, BIS deserves more of my money.

Uhh... "state: Boolean - true to turn the engine on, false to turn it off"? :D

Thanks for command. Didn't know it existed. Now all we need is a selection for the TI device on the vehicle, and some good heavy caliber snipers :p

lol copy & paste and fix fail :) so fixed now :eek:

Really need a classic map pack :yay: now thats worth some cash to me. All the old maps in one pack OFP/Arma.

btw any way to disable radar with thoes commands.

Edited by R71

Id Buy ANY DLC if it had to do with Campaign missions (or singleplayer ones, but with Co-op), (at least 10+ that is)...with full CO-OP support...Even if you just put Arma 2's graphics for the old OFP Campaign, I would buy it. :)

I hope one day we get a patch that will make 50.cal snipers do their job properly. They are already 1 hit kills on personnel, so I don't see why making them realistic could hurt.

I would love to use a 50.cal to shoot the engine of a car and completely destroy it. (The engine, not the car). And it would be awesome for paralysing armour, and knocking air units out the sky.

I guess it's a balance issue, but it would be cool if we could have that, even if it's just for SP or something. :)

Ok, you CANNOT "knock air units out of the sky" with a .50 caliber sniper rifle. That's a myth from BF2 & movies. You also cannot "paralyze armor" with a .50 bullet. Your acting as if it fires a 120mm SABOT round ffs. You CAN disable an engine on unarmored and lightly armored vehicles, but you couldn't take down something like a M2A2/BTR-90/T-90/M1A1, etc. etc.

Think about it. A single bullet makes tanks useless? Ain't never gonna happen pal.

*Edit: You probably can disable a helicopter, but you would have to be a DAMN good shot, because you would have to hit the rotor on a flying aircraft, or the pilot on a flying aircraft.

You probably can disable a helicopter, but you would have to be a DAMN good shot, because you would have to hit the rotor on a flying aircraft, or the pilot on a flying aircraft.

Nah, I reckon a 50.cal would ruin a helicopters whole day but I do agree with you would have to be a bloody good shot & have a firing position to aim at said chopper without being knocked on your ass when you shoot.

I was speaking to a british squadie about 50.cals (MG not sniper) & they call it the pink mist (you can guess why! ew). He reckoned if a 50.cal round passed within 6ins of you the inertia & air pressure would rip chunks off you! OUCH!

Edited by RomeoSierra

As far as I'm concerned, I'm all for supporting BIS, but I would prefer a big release (sort of mini-OA) once in a while rather than being milked regularly for smaller stuff.

In terms or orders of preferences, I'd go for :

- Working 3D editor

- Big maps (hard to produce for single modders in a decent time-frame), possibly in different settings (Africa, China, India, South America, SE Asia) or the rest of Chernarus...

- Full new factions (with everything needed for a standard warfare scenario : car /truck / apc / tank / chopper / plane + infantry) : Narco guerrila, Asian, France, Brits...

- Quality campaigns with good voice acting, scripting etc...

- Era (50's, 70's, 80's..)

- plus all the free patches and functions that you can fund with this money!

Agreed, with one addition: this is all based on the assumption that BIS doesn't slowly start closing the game to pave the way to all-paid content. If the game stays moddable as it is now (with the newer features available through scripting), I don't mind paying for content if it helps BIS to stay around.

As I said in the past, I wouldn't mind paying for a full, official rework of OFP and ArmA1 to the A2:OA engine.

DLC like this is what I did not want to see in ArmA II. Anyone can make new units. ALL of the soldiers (Civilians, US, Takistan, British) have the same AI. What you're basically paying for here is a package of weapons and vehicles that the modding community has already made. It's like taking the M16 from the US, giving a British gun model on it, giving it sounds, editing some configs for firing rate, and slapping a price on it. I want Bohemia Interactive to do things that are extremely hard to mod, such as firing in vehicles, AI, jamming. As of now, they're just releasing content that modders have been hard working on. I know theres a British pack in the works and now it's been blown sky high by the closed-content Bohemia is releasing for money.

Good example:

Booster packs from BF2

Nobody bought the Booster packs, people only bought Special Forces for the weapons. Since there were no servers for the Booster packs because no players had them, DICE decided to release the Booster packs FREE of charge in the latest patch. Now you can commonly see Booster pack maps on servers.

Edited by W0lle
Stupid false accusation removed

I will buy it... I'd buy it even if it was nothing more than a stack of skeet discs...

Some quotes from BIS that might be interesting to some of you and explains why the price.

Both free and paid DLC is planned for A2OA. It will be distributed through different online channels. We've always given a lot of content to our community for free, however, we would like to see if there is interest from our users to fund development of higher quality and more complex packages. Fundamentally, the situation of the PC market in general, and sales of our products in particular, limits our ability to produce new content funded by the income from sales of the core game alone, as we have done in the past. We understand that this is a sensitive topic to some of our users; however, I suggest to not start any flame wars: if someone does not like to pay for DLC, the easiest thing is to simply not buy it.
Note that our ability to develop content and release it for free in patches is very limited, as sales of core games are not strong enough to justify it commercially. Whether our users are interested in contributing to funding such development via paid DLC is yet to be seen.
There are many ideas (e.g. AC-130 gunship, engine-supported artillery), but nothing can be confirmed yet. After OA is released, we will assess what is most important in terms of support for our users.
All engine improvements developed for A2: BAF will be released to all users in free game update/patch and BAF will use it from the updated main game executable directly (note that it does not mean all our previous official content will get proper configuration to use it...)