Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2 (OA) : DLC discussion thread

WOOT

at last built in mod management

Wrong thread for that.

---------- Post added at 04:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 AM ----------

Hi, could the official definitive (and not beta) patches be taken as download content?; the DLC seems to be a good idea to me, when talking about patches and fixes... but if we're talking about re-skins, single addons, weapons packs and minor content like that... then it don't sounds that good to me.

A better option in my opinion will be to have a built in DLC list where you can choose what to download or not, with some preview screenshots and a brief description of what you'll get; and do the same on the official game's page for those who don't gonna use Steam or the brief built in system to get the DLC. Also will be good but i doubt that it's possible to make something to know wich official addons or "officialy approved mods" (i.e. ACE2) are required to join a MP server, it was very dissapointing to try to join a random public server back on the ArmA and discover that your choosen addons were not allowed on that server, so you had to restart the game plus make certain things. Let's C ya

When we are talking about DLC we're talking about the aspect of downloadable packages that will probably come for a price. BIS will never charge of patches and engine fixes, as seen with the upcoming release with Arrowhead, both ArmA2 and OA will have similar engine and bug fixes applied, just not any of OA's features added to ArmA2.

With Arrowhead's integrated addon system, which will allow you to see what addons a server is running without the need of a 3rd party launcher, there's no reason not to know what addons that are allowed, or not allowed on a server. As the games mature, so will the individuality of the servers on MP as like right now almost no 2 servers are the same in terms of the addons they run, though many try their best to run some more universally applicable missions for public sessions. This is something you'll have to deal with, whether with user-made addons or official ones sold via DLC.

Wow I am late getting in on this one PAID DLC + BIS = (what has this world come to)

They already gave us the tools to make almost anything we desire.

Ok getting off my soap box now if they put out DLC that is better than what we can make I am for it if not I will wait for us ( the community ) to put things out that are free and for the most part functional.

LOL Steak Ya had to know this one was coming as soon as I noticed the thread.

Cheer's ChefD

I have not read all post only the first but i have no problem to pay for quality content. Such a strategy is now fairly common and from my experience (with other titles) it enhances the product.

I'll buy every piece of DLC released by BIS. The amount and level of support coming from this company is amazing and I want to vote with my wallet.

I'll buy every piece of DLC released by BIS. The amount and level of support coming from this company is amazing and I want to vote with my wallet.

Great to see someone quite new in this community saying that. :)

welcome, yeah reading the codemasters forums is pathetic I made my last plea there awhile ago, anyways forum rules says we cant discuss that.

BIS is a good developer they show support and their not abunch of sleazy developers that buy up nice IPs and screw them up for a quick buck.

im sure you will like it here, dont drop the game if you get frusterated though because I would've already been long gone if that was the case.

Oh dont worry, I'm new to the forums but I love this game. Finally getting around to checking out Armaholic and some of the user created stuff. Cant say enough good things about this community.

I also want to agree with jpinard: Please DO NOT force us to use steam. As convenient as it is to use and distribute product, I like having my game discs and packaging. So gimme Premium DLC / Expansion Packs / whatever you want to call it, but give me the option to request physical media. :bounce3:

I'd be more than happy paying say $5 (AUD) for something like a new chopper or air plane or vehicle. Perhaps even for a new squad of troops (8-10 varieties with new weapons/items).

Problem with that is you then need to make sure that those using DLC can still play with those who don't have access to it.

i wouldnt mind paying for a new island

Unsticking this now, pointless to keep something stuck that's purely speculative until something concrete is announced considering there's already too many stuck threads.

I 110% percent agree, TillGrave. I will never, ever buy an Internet-only DLC. I don't care if I have to pay 5 euro's more for the CD and stuff, because I absolutely prefer having a physical copy of the game.

The biggest argument I have against digital distribution, is that you'd never know how long steam, for example, will exist. It could remain for another 40 years, or go bankrupt next week. I frequently play old school games (Hot pursuit 3 (1998), Mafia (2001), GTA 1&2 (1999), Battlefield 1942 (2002)) and would never, ever want to risk that joy by a downloading system that could fail today, tomorrow or in 100 years.

You don't know how long will your CDs last neither. ;)

If it's quality stuff yeah.. But "More weapons" etc isn't exactly desirable for me at this point. New features are always welcomed though.

Hehe, depends, I'm not the kind of guy using them as Frisbee's or using them as placement for drinks. As long as you don't do any crazy stuff with them, they should last quite long. My Red Alert 1 disk and NFS 3 disk are completely clean and still work excellent, despite their 12-15 year lifespan. In the end, if they do break down, it's mostly your own fault due not being nice and friendly to your CD/DVD's :D

Dude's got a point. If your house burns down you still have your steam account. :p

Both have their downsides.

As far as I know, steam isn't going anywhere for a while. I think by the time it does shut down, those games you have that are old won't work well on "current" OSes at the time or some might get released as freeware (it does happen sometimes).

But steam just keeps getting larger and valve isn't in any money troubles lol.

Hehe, depends, I'm not the kind of guy using them as Frisbee's or using them as placement for drinks. As long as you don't do any crazy stuff with them, they should last quite long. My Red Alert 1 disk and NFS 3 disk are completely clean and still work excellent, despite their 12-15 year lifespan. In the end, if they do break down, it's mostly your own fault due not being nice and friendly to your CD/DVD's :D

Agreed.

You hear the 'lifespan' of burned CDs suggested as being 5 years. I've got many that I burned ten years ago that are still fine.

I think UV light is the one thing that will destroy them (relatively) quickly.

-snip-

Edited by PacX

The biggest argument I have against digital distribution, is that you'd never know how long steam, for example, will exist. It could remain for another 40 years, or go bankrupt next week. I frequently play old school games (Hot pursuit 3 (1998), Mafia (2001), GTA 1&2 (1999), Battlefield 1942 (2002)) and would never, ever want to risk that joy by a downloading system that could fail today, tomorrow or in 100 years.

And who knows how long CDs will be around. 10 years from now you might not even be able to buy CD drives anywhere. Not to mention CDs can get damaged or lost. It works both ways, and with the way things are going, it seems that everyone's moving away from physical media.

Besides, it's just not practical to distribute DLC-scale content on physical media.

I'd buy any DLC that BIS would release. I'd expect pay-for DLC would constitute maps or units or weapons. Personally I'd really like new small-arms equipped on units. Also, maybe a 'random weapon' assignment to standard Riflemen, where when they spawn they could have an AKM or an AK-74 or an FN FAL, instead of limiting weapons to a type of soldier.

Just some ideas:

-FAL standard (current one in OA is only Para)

-DSA 58 and variants (omg awesome & sexy)

-H&K M416s

-Various 9x39 calibre assault rifles/carbines? (VAL, 9A91)

Edited by Panzer Jager

Also, maybe a 'random weapon' assignment to standard Riflemen, where when they spawn they could have an AKM or an AK-74 or an FN FAL, instead of limiting weapons to a type of soldier.

You mean the way you can do it with just a few script commands?

If BIS thinks fragmenting our community even further is the way to go, then they should go ahead with introducing DLC for money.

If BIS would actually care about the community they've helped create, and don't want to create divide's, they'll keep DLC free...

It's as easy as that.

If BIS thinks fragmenting our community even further is the way to go, then they should go ahead with introducing DLC for money.

If BIS would actually care about the community they've helped create, and don't want to create divide's, they'll keep DLC free...

It's as easy as that.

So in other words they should not have made OA? That will divide the community. Not to mention, when you have lets just say the British DLC, there is nothing stopping you from playing with people who don't have it. All that it does is makes it so that if you do have it, you can play with people who do have it.

Don't worry, people will get OA. But the problem I see is if BIS keeps doing payed DLC too much, people will not be bothered any more. That occurrence will truly kill the community.

If BIS can find the right balance, then I'm all for it, but if they fail and bring DLC's which people don't care about, it is really gonna fragment the community...

So in other words they should not have made OA? That will divide the community. Not to mention, when you have lets just say the British DLC, there is nothing stopping you from playing with people who don't have it. All that it does is makes it so that if you do have it, you can play with people who do have it.

why does everybody keep talking about british DLC...

screw Bluefor, I want some good opfor stuff. The majority of things I see on addons sites are all bluefor, where's all the cool soviet stuff!?

I'd like to see some UK, Ukranian, Canadian, Japanese, Chinese, and Korean forces in DLC myself.

why does everybody keep talking about british DLC...

screw Bluefor, I want some good opfor stuff. The majority of things I see on addons sites are all bluefor, where's all the cool soviet stuff!?

This is why.

Also on the AAN online site there are PMCs that are seemingly not in Arrowhead which may be DLC too.