Sign in to follow this  
raedor

The official football World Cup 2010 in SA thread

Great games today!

US v. Ghana could be an incredibly entertaining matchup. Frankly, better than US-Germany, IMHO. And, who can really resist a England v. Germany match? :D

US needs to start as if it was already the 70th minute....

Maybe i'm just a sinic, but this whole new England attitude is annoying. We beat SLOVENIA 1-0. Everybody is acting as though, its something special and we're now suddenly going to win the world cup. We didnt even get out of the group top. There were some good moments tonight and no doubt it was a better performance. But it sill wasnt anything special...... We'll see wat happens, i hope im wrong and this will turn it around but, i have my doubts.

Jesus, my heart stopped beating a few times there. Thanks to Boateng's calf, Lahm's tibia and the good keeper it didn't stop forever :p

Boring game... To be honest - I didn't expect Germany to move on anyway...

i predict USA all the way that's were my money is at hehe

go usa

i predict USA all the way that's were my money is at hehe

go usa

Don't jinx us!

Anyone figured out what was up with Glenn Johnson getting booked yet?

He was booked for headbutting a defender's elbow then falling down.

Maybe i'm just a sinic, but this whole new England attitude is annoying. We beat SLOVENIA 1-0. Everybody is acting as though, its something special and we're now suddenly going to win the world cup. We didnt even get out of the group top. There were some good moments tonight and no doubt it was a better performance. But it sill wasnt anything special...... We'll see wat happens, i hope im wrong and this will turn it around but, i have my doubts.

Well to my thinking, every team has bad games, an if your gona have them at the world cup, where better to have them than the group stages, it can only get better!! COME ON ENGLAND

Hey English supporters (songs) are covering the vuvuz !

Loved that about the match; finally a WC match with a proper atmosphere instead of just incessant droning.

Kinda gutted for the Slovenians; I'd have preferred for them to accompany us through to the last 16.

Germany Vs England games are what World Cups are made of though :D. And if we win that, odd are we have Argentina to face in the QF; another significant opponent in English football.

As others have said though; this sudden perception that we've turned it all around and are now well on the way to the final annoys me. We did play well; some excellent crossing from Gerrard and (eventually) Milner, very brave play by the back four in defence and even in attack, but I still feel we need to get bodies in the box much faster and create better chances at goal before we can say we're playing out our best; and we always, always have the capacity to start playing as bad as we did against Algeria.

Enjoyed the Australia-Serbia game too

Germany Vs England games are what World Cups are made of though

This. And complaining about the referees.

My bet : Germany 3 - England 3 after 120 minutes and then ... penalty kicks! :D

Edited by malibu.stacey

Germany didn't shine yesterday - great goal by Özil, but that's about it. If they want to stand a chance against England they really have to play MUCH better - and maybe try to win before the (almost inevitable) penalty shootout...

If they want to stand a chance against England they really have to play MUCH better - and maybe try to win before the (almost inevitable) penalty shootout...

Why? If it's late in the game and still tied Germany should be in favor of penalties. England have the worst penalty shootout record out of the last 5 world cups, probably more, Germany have the best. Probability is on Germany's side.

Germany Vs England games are what World Cups are made of though . And if we win that, odd are we have Argentina to face in the QF; another significant opponent in English football.

Thats the way to do it though. Getting to the final by beating all our old adversaries.

Hopefully though, what I heard someone say will hold true. "England aren't playing well enough to get knocked out yet".

Why? If it's late in the game and still tied Germany should be in favor of penalties. England have the worst penalty shootout record out of the last 5 world cups, probably more, Germany have the best. Probability is on Germany's side.
Well, maybe just to save England from yet another penalty trauma? ;)

Basically I fear they might suffer the same as in the game against Italy at the WC2006 - already thinking of the penalty shootout while their opponent makes a last minute goal and wins. They have to aim to win this one quickly.

Hope to see great matches this weekend - be prepared to have enough cooled beer/drinks! Weather forecast is sunny and hot. :n:

The 'big' european teams struggling this World Cup. Looks like Italy are going to be going home, so far, unless they find something very special very quickly.

Great game, Slovakia is on the way to send Italians back to home :D

:yay:GO SLOVENSKO:yay:

OMG my SVK - OMG 3:2 ! :o :crazy: - SLOVAKIA WINS OMG OMG !!!!

Edited by RobertHammer

Congratulations Slovakia- GREEEAT game !!!!

Well played NZ, at least we can say we were unbeaten at the World Cup, which is more than anyone was expecting. We'll be back!

Holy crap :eek:. Well done Slovakia!!

Didn't know what to watch at the end though. The match was ending just as it looked like the longest tennis match ever was ending, which it did, so I missed Italy's 2nd goal.

Congrats to New Zealand too, not just unbeaten but finished above Italy in the group too I believe.

Few more minutes and Italy could draw this game, they really put much pressure up to the game in the last 15 minutes. Greaaaat game.

Few more minutes and Italy could draw this game, they really put much pressure up to the game in the last 15 minutes. Greaaaat game.

... and I was watching the crap match. :(

Slovakia really deserved that win - they just outplayed Italy. But, would've loved a finish that allowed NZ to go through. :D Paraguay did what they had to do, also.

Great matches, looking forward to the later ones, too.