Sign in to follow this  
fragnatix

Arma 2 Lag with high end computer

Im put everything on max setting and with a visibility of 1200. I still have a lag, not terrible, but it affect the mouvement of my mouse, i dont have any mouse driver installed.

My spec is:

i7 930

ati rad 5870

6gb triple channel memory

1tb HDD

i use the 10.5 driver of AMD

when on very low, it does not lag anymore. I play other games on max setting without problems.

Any idea whats going on?

I have the demo on steam

well i guess the 930 is hyperthreaded yeah

---------- Post added at 03:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

any idea whats causing the lag?

I have a 920. Take off hyperthreading and it should help a lot.

1. You mention the demo, are you playing the demo or full ArmA 2?

2. If your on full ArmA 2 then make sure to install latest patch(1.05).

3. It's not necessarily lag your experiencing but the turn ratio that makes sure you can't just fast drag your mouse to the side and see the character spin around.I think you can turn 90 degrees fast.

4. ArmA 2 is not the ordinary shooter your use to play on highest settings, it's huge with a lot of stuff going on. Try with settings on high instead of very high.

5. Also try adjust the mouse settings(if your on full ArmA 2).

Regarding HT with the 1.05 official patch you have to use the startup parameter -CpuCount=4 added to your ARMA2 shortcut (target field at the end of the arma2.exe path).

In the latest beta (wich also up performance for many) the above startup parameter is added to the startup by default wich will be the new standard for the official patch as well. When HT is on many have lots of stuttering so go ahead and test the startup parameter or use the latest beta.

Also change the ARMA2.CFG to:

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1;

If you havent done this you should give it a try. I have them set to "1" but if thats too fast/jerky for you then try "2" on both and see if thats better (max is 4. Try through all if you want to find best feeling). This has a big impact on the feeling of the game (mouse). To me personally it makes the game feel faster and more direct in feeling AKA "better FPS" even if its an illusion.

Edited by Alex72

sadly im still on the demo, i was going to try some setting to see how my rig would handle it before i buy arrowhead, ill give a try at those settings tho

---------- Post added at 04:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

didnt work, but it may be related to the demo, is it updated to last version of current full game?

it seems that i dont have this in the CFG file

language="English";

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=48387;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

Resolution_W=1680;

Resolution_H=1050;

refresh=60;

Render_W=1680;

Render_H=1050;

FSAA=3;

postFX=2;

HDRPrecision=8;

lastDeviceId="";

localVRAM=1887633281;

nonlocalVRAM=2147483647;

this is only what i got

That is original demo. Current versions run much smoother (1.05). I have X4 AMD 940 @ 3.0 and a GTX 285 with 4 Gig ram and run the game with pretty high settings. Good Luck as I've seen bigger and beefier machines than mine struggle while some smaller than mine run it fine. <shrug>

If You get the Full game try the latest Beta patch.Did wonders for me :)

sadly im still on the demo, i was going to try some setting to see how my rig would handle it before i buy arrowhead, ill give a try at those settings tho

---------- Post added at 04:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

didnt work, but it may be related to the demo, is it updated to last version of current full game?

it seems that i dont have this in the CFG file

language="English";

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=48387;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

Resolution_W=1680;

Resolution_H=1050;

refresh=60;

Render_W=1680;

Render_H=1050;

FSAA=3;

postFX=2;

HDRPrecision=8;

lastDeviceId="";

localVRAM=1887633281;

nonlocalVRAM=2147483647;

this is only what i got

You have to manually enter those lines in your .cfg (and save!). But IIRC the demo doesn't support those options (I believe they were added in a patch) so even then you're still SOL; but you can still try it out to make sure (I think Alex was referring to the full game).

I do believe that BIS will release a new, updated demo when OA comes out (or just before). Also you might as well just wait until Arma2: Combined Ops is released with Operation Arrowhead (it includes both games).

Edited by No Use For A Name

very nice! will try this, thx guys, cant wait for arrowhead

You might as well buy the ArmA II & OA complete package, when released. You will get a lot more content than just OA.

You might as well buy the ArmA II & OA complete package, when released. You will get a lot more content than just OA.

I did. :D