Sign in to follow this  
OrdeaL

New Beta Build 71382 Up!

It will almost certainly run significantly better with -cpuCount=4 (ie avoiding hyperthreading). Here are my results (i920 like yours)...

...but only Windows 7 is not working well with hyperthreading.

I'm using Windows XP 32bit and it gains significantly from hyperthreading - better to qualify any recommendations.

NoBrainer: if you search the threads Suma posted a recommendation for configuring threading for armaserver.exe

;1650565']...

Enemy infantry shot me RPG rockets a lot of time just injuring me' date=' so I was able to kill them. If they would have used their rifle, they could kill me.[/quote']

I would counter that equally makes no sense, as it's not what you've been shot with that is the bug, it's that you were able to continue fighting so effectively afterwards.

Granted it would be nice to have AI utilise weapons according to their doctrine, skill and experience, but as long as there is an addon to provide what you want, we don't need any artificial restriction coded in the game.

Protegimus

I'm using Windows XP 32bit and it gains significantly from hyperthreading - better to qualify any recommendations.

I'm happy to be corrected if that is the case - the whole point of creating the analyser tool was to try and put some actual data together rather that just going be people's 'gut feel' - and to allow people to test these things for themselves :D I must admit I am suprised that HT should operate so much better with XP than Win7 - maybe there is another factor at work here ?

Then you can still use cpucount=8...

Have you actually benched it, in really "stressfull" situations?

Win7 probably does use all cores a bit more by itself then WinXP which could explain what you're experiencing. However I'm personally not convinced HT would not be a limiting factor on any OS when putting the CPU under stress...

Then again, if it works for you, all the better :D

Still causing CTD after a couple of minutes on OP4 IslaDuala Domination server.

-exthreads=7

Thanks for reply MavericK96!

Yes you are correct, I ment hyperthreading....

But why should I use -exThreads=7 on a dedicated server?

Of course I can try and see, but my clan is sleeping right now so. But I can set it 7 and see when they wake up after this weekends LAN party.

I'm not really sure about a dedicated server since I don't run one myself. I would probably just not set anything and let it do what it wants to do.

NoBrainer: if you search the threads Suma posted a recommendation for configuring threading for armaserver.exe

I would counter that equally makes no sense, as it's not what you've been shot with that is the bug, it's that you were able to continue fighting so effectively afterwards.

Granted it would be nice to have AI utilise weapons according to their doctrine, skill and experience, but as long as there is an addon to provide what you want, we don't need any artificial restriction coded in the game.

Protegimus

They just missed me with an AP rocket and those rockets are useless against infantry. AI should use HE rockets against enemy infantry to kill a lot of enemies with one shot...there's just one thing: often I don't want my teammates wasting rockets against infantry if there are tanks, brdm or other armored vehicles nearby...

One thing that might be interesting is i just installed the latest CBA and the boost in smoothness seems almost dramatic, i can play SP warfare on Chernarus with minimal if any stuttering where as before it would slow down significantly to almost unplayable.

Just a note this is with the New Beta Build 71382

=======SYS SPECS=============

System Type X86-based PC

Processor Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz, 3166 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F7c, 11/07/2008

SMBIOS Version 2.4

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB

Total Physical Memory 3.25 GB

Available Physical Memory 2.15 GB

Total Virtual Memory 6.74 GB

Available Virtual Memory 5.33 GB

Page File Space 3.54 GB

Edited by Katipo66

Ok im running ArmA2 with Beta..

My system:

Amd Phenom 9500 2.2Ghz Quadcore

3Gb ram

Nvidia 8800GT 1Gb

Windows Vista Sp2 (Updated)

Norton Internet Sec 2009

What do i need to add to my shortcut?? Please help me cause, i cant tell

what to do..

Start up parameter

...\arma2\beta\arma2.exe -nosplash -mod=beta

Start up folder

...\arma2

Where ... is the whole path to where you have installed you're ArmA2 game.

Don't cut'n paste my info, but find yourself, so you know you get the right path for you. Since I'm using a none BIS standard installation.

Hmmm yes yes...But i was talking about all these

exThreads, cpucount and stuff...Do i NEED to put

that in the shortcut at all??

Ive been playing this game since First OFP, so i know how

to do the basic startup parameters and advanced addon

folders..But there is so much more now.

;1651445']Hmmm yes yes...But i was talking about all these

exThreads' date=' cpucount and stuff...Do i NEED to put

folders..But there is so much more now.[/quote']

Having a quad-core, your exThreads is set to 7 automatically unless you specify otherwise.

I stopped using cpucount several betas ago and I think it uses all my cores.

My test mod line for this beta is

-mod=beta -nosplash

although I have tried exthreads=5 and exthreads=3 (or whatever I tried, been a few weeks), but not exthreads=7 because that should be the default.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. :rolleyes:

Edited by Mosh
typo

;1651445']Hmmm yes yes...But i was talking about all these

exThreads' date=' cpucount and stuff...Do i NEED to put

folders..But there is so much more now.[/quote']

Sorry Andersson, didn't see it was you. I just replied to the question...

I know you know this.

But to be honest, it seems like you don't need as much as you did a couple of months ago.

Probably best with just -nosplash -mod=XXX -profiles=XXX and nothing more. But I'm also trying to figure this one out.

But why should I use -exThreads=7 on a dedicated server?

Of course I can try and see, but my clan is sleeping right now so. But I can set it 7 and see when they wake up after this weekends LAN party.

ok NoBrainer, the reference from Suma is here and the answer is that on a dedicated server there is no benefit to using -exThreads=7 as the dedicated server does not do graphics rendering.

-exThreads=1 may give you an improvement but you'll have to test. If you have very fast storage such as SSD or ramdrive on your server then the benefit may outweigh the penalty associated with this.

Protegimus

Will the AI still use + waste AT ammo to blast a single soldier away?

Or will we get an AI that knows how to use + switch to different ammo types? Why is it for BIS so hard to implement such basic things?? :confused:

Probably because this is a valid tactic with an RPG-7 and AT-4.

Probably because this is a valid tactic with an RPG-7 and AT-4.

In real life, I would much rather flick the safety of my rifle and pull a trigger on a single target behind simple cover than to open up the shoulder rest, pull the safety pin of my AT4, check that the backblast area is clear, pull down and push forward the safety lever, open up both my front and rear site posts, adjust for the proper distance of my rear site post, hold down the safety lever while finally pressing that red button with my thumb. And if I miss (which is very easy to do for a target as small as one soldier), I will have to discard that weapon as it only holds one shot and cannot be reused and re-shoulder and use my rifle anyways. It's just not practical to use against one, single soldier, out in the open or behind simple, natural cover (which happens in Arma 2).

Now if there's a single target behind a bunker down range, or a group of targets down range and clustered up or behind some window, bunker, or in some building without civilians, and if I happen to have a HEDP loaded AT4, than maybe I would use that AT4. Think METT-TC.

Edited by dave8
Adding in quote

Still wonder why the AI keep on shooting at dead bodies or destroyed vehicles? :confused:

Would be good if the AI would attack vehicles (with turned out crew members) like M1A2 TUSK or Vodnik (MG) with AT weapon. Strange to see an T-90 attacking and M1A2 TUSK with machineguns. Perhaps only a overlooked easy-to-fix config thingy?

@Owens - its more about default AI wasting AT ammo and not able to switch + use different ammo types for soft- and armored/hard targets. Place a Blufor and a Opfor group equipped with M136/SMAW and RPG7/RPG18 and watch how they are fighting against each other. Be aware - the AI is still performing the AT launcher switching. ;)

Sorry Andersson, didn't see it was you. I just replied to the question...

I know you know this.

But to be honest, it seems like you don't need as much as you did a couple of months ago.

Probably best with just -nosplash -mod=XXX -profiles=XXX and nothing more. But I'm also trying to figure this one out.

So basicly i just install BETA and put it in my initline?

It feels kinda strange seeing all these posts with numbers explaining

advantages with beta, when i cant see ANY noticable improvments.

I put a single hummer in chernogorsk, driving the same route,

checking FPS with fraps. EVERYTIME, same numbers. 13-17fps

and i dont change anything else. Checking with the same setup

everytime...

EVERYTIME, same numbers. 13-17fps

13-17 is a difference of 4 which is range of >30% (quite large). Depending upon whether you are seeing more 17fps than 13fps, you may actually be getting a good improvement here.

Unfortunately, just driving round and looking at the numbers on your screen is not really a very reliable way of telling if things are getting better (or worse) since it is not very consistent and also give you very little information about the really slow frames which are the ones you tend to notice most in real gameplay.

ok Andersson, if you don't see any improvements, you might have some other limiting factor. I don't know what, but it could be CPU, GPU, Harddrive or memory. Might be drivers. I don't know.

From what I can see so far, it seems like all the "best" values and parameters become default from BIS. That's why you won't need the parameters.

But I also see one big flaw in my shortcut that I pasted in:

No beta => -nosplash -mod=XXX -profiles=XXX

Beta => -nosplash -mod=beta;XXX -profiles=XXX

I don't see huge differences ether, but there are some beta that works on my system, better than others.

I have also experienced that I sometimes need to change some settings in the advanced menu before I get any difference. Only problem with this is that I don't know why these changes makes the difference. Kind of hard to get information about that.

But I can only say that you need to test on your system and see if it makes changes for you. If it does not do anything, you don't need the beta. That's my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of the AI using an AT round for infantry targets when there is an armored or vehicle target in the same battlespace - just playing devil's advocate.

I agree that it is very frustrating.

Did some testing last night and I will not use any -exThreads parameter on my server.

Works like a charm without. Seems like the default is best for my setup.

Will the AI still use + waste AT ammo to blast a single soldier away?

Or will we get an AI that knows how to use + switch to different ammo types? Why is it for BIS so hard to implement such basic things?? :confused:

It's config switch ATM. Yet AI should know when to use big bang weapons.

Havn't used any of the previous Betas so I'm not sure if my tests show anything specificaly related to the latest release.

Ran both benchmark senarios through 5 times (@ 2032, 2582, 3063, 4027, and 5116m visability) using 1.05 vanila and the beta @ defualt

The variation in view distance was more for my own benifit than anything else.

On average the beta showed an improvement of 1fps on benchmark 01 and no improvement on benchmark 02.

Either way task manager showed all cores very active, but a slight increase in RAM usage with the beta (sry I can't be more precise).

Settings:

3d = 1920 x 1080

Texture = High

Video Mem = V High

Anisotrpoic = Normal

A A = Low

Terain = High

Objects = High

Shadow = High

Post Proc' = Disabled

Aspect = 16:9

Rig:

XFX 780i Mobo

Q9650 Quad

8gig 1066 RAM

XFX GTX 285 Black Edition

W7 64 bit

ArmA 2 has its own drive partition on part of a raid 5 setup.