Sign in to follow this  
HmoobSoldier

Will my new setup run everything at max?

Current setup is 2.5ghz dual core, 4gb ddr2, and 4850 crossfire. I game at 1920x1200 on my 24".

Tomorrow I'll be getting a 2.66 quad core (hoping to oc it to 3.2), 4gb ddr2, and 5870 crossfire. Although 8gb of ram would be nice I don't think it's needed yet. I'm going to try it in eyefinity mode but I'm hoping I can finally max this game out.

It might, though I don't think you're going to see much of a difference between a 2.5 GHz dual core and a 2.66 GHz quad core, TBH. If you overclock it like you said, probably then you will see more of a difference.

I can pretty much max the game out at 1920x1200 on my rig, but I've got a much faster processor. Your GPU setup is better than mine, but this game really loves CPU power.

Also, there is a sticky thread for posts like this:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=72181

Current setup is 2.5ghz dual core

If that is my overclocked x2 4200+ then no it wont. We would need to know the actual CPU to tell you. :p

I dont think you will be able to put every setting on the highest level, especially 3D resolution and AA since you use crossfire eyefinity, but i think you will be more then satisfied as long as you dont forget to turn Hyperthreading off in the BIOS.

EDIT: Now it makes sense.

Edited by NeMeSiS

If that is my overclocked x2 4200+ then no it wont. but i think you will be more then satisfied as long as you dont forget to turn Hyperthreading off in the BIOS.

Why should Hyperthreading be turned off?

Why should Hyperthreading be turned off?

Because it is known to do more harm than good in most situations. Not just relatd to Arma2.

Because it is known to do more harm than good in most situations. Not just relatd to Arma2.

Also because unless you're doing stuff like graphical rendering, encoding, and/or distributed computing, there's really no reason to use it.

Isnt arma 2 a more cpu based game? I know a 'expensive' GPU is going to help, but i was always under the assumption that a nice juicy fast electricity munching CPU was the most used bit of hardware in ArmA2, Correct me if im wrong, Please?

FYI, I have one crappy Zotac GTX260, My cpu is the q9650 @ 3.6ghz and I run everything on high in some crappy resolution because my monitor cant take the 1920x1080, My old one used to and i could run everything maxed out then, Perhaps not view distance tho.

well, do you include view distance when you say everything at max? Because I don't think there is a pc out there that can run Arma 2 at full max settings. Of course that depends on the mission but still I don't think max graphics settings will make the game better anyway.

I have a real beefcake of a pc (well, anyway it was when I bought it) and I can run the game at very high settings but I have to make light missions to make the game playable.

I play at normal/high settings with a view distance of 3000m and 1680x960 resolution and the game looks mighty fine. I don't think the human eye can tell the difference between 1600 and 1900 res... But you processor can! :)

this. which means buying an i7 over an i5 750 is a waste of money if the sole purpose of your computer is to run games, especially considering a triple channel 1366 setup is a hell of a lot more expensive than a dual channel 1156 one. considering the fact that no game significantly profits from more than 3-4GB of RAM, it makes even less sense to go for a triple channel system.

Just look at some benchmarks, like http://www.svethardware.cz/sh/media.nsf/0c97cd6cabb1398ec1256cc50082f4bf/8013ed9ec3c240f4c12576770050655d/Body/9.4A2C?OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=gif

..ArmA2 is pretty much CPU demanding game, so moving from dual to quadcore might improve the performance a lot. For me, the upgrade from E8400 (3,6G dualcore) to i3-530 (4,1G dualcore with hyperthreading) didn't bring ani noticeable performance boost. And according to this, http://www.svethardware.cz/art_doc-78ACE392AF63A594C12576400055B800.html , the 5870 is a beast in ArmA2. Good luck with that :)

You better OC to 3.8-4.0Ghz if you don't want the cpu the bottleneck the xfire'd 5870's.

Get DDR3 RAM, scrap the DDR2. You're getting the latest in current hardware but DD2 RAM? why?

With all the talk of running this game on SSD's and USB sticks and RAM Drives, you better get faster ram. You can get 6 gigs of 1600mhz DDR3 ram for about $115

There is a reason why we have that sticky "Will it run..." thread on top of that forum.