Sign in to follow this  
icebreakr

Jungle Wars: Island of Lingor

Emm Enad, why are you always spamming the topics with troubleshooting crap like that? Please keep your off-topic debates to a Troubleshooting section of the forum and away from my topics.

As I've already mentioned several times , jungle-green Lingor runs *better* than Takistan (I even have to disable my antialiasing on Takistan when playing MP ;).

Sorry, I didnt mean for it to turn into a discussion. I just said I hope it runs good...then fox had to comment...blah blah. Won't happen again sorry. Though I don't remember ever 'spamming' your topics....

Good to hear it runs nicely. :)

The screens are looking super cool.

Guess this map will be a pain in the arse, when playing against ai? It always annoys me if I can't see shit through grass and the enemy doesn't care. :/

Lexx: why do you think B-52s and F-4s with napalm were used in Vietnam war? ;) be happy that I don't have models of booby traps and underground cave systems ;)

But I agree, "all-seeing" AI can have a serious advantage in scenery like that, so we will have to use flanking, grenades and ground cover (rocks mainly).

icebreakr, why not make objects that can block the ai view? invisible objects.. so where vegetation blocks the view , they cannot see the player.

Yeah I was just gonna ask that. Though I don't think I'll be making too many missions where the largest fire fights happen in the deepest part of the Jungle. It would be cool...If AI couldn't see through everything. :(

Or...You could do like fox said above. :)

Icebreaker- your stuff is just stunning.

I have a quick question. Any reason why the original plan doesn't have a second tiny airstrip, like a short dirt runway in the opposite corner from the main airport? Though maybe you want us to drop daisy-cutters to make our own helo landing sites? :)

_upy14pesi4

AiP7-HBHwPc

Thought the all seeing AI thing was fixed ages ago?? or is there still soem issue with clutter?

Any way ... I was meant to say the latest screens look fantastic. looking at them makes me think it could be almost anywhere along the equator

Don't worry. There will be another airstrip, I also increased the terrain and we'll have a nice mountains on the South side ;)

Thanks to Shezan74 and his tutorial hours, Lingor is progressing nicely. Best thing is that jungle has been made from scratch via his tools and will feature a realistic cover and growth ;) not to mention a huge town in progress and for the first time on my map: powerlines and stations ;)

Thanks to Shezan74 and his tutorial hours, Lingor is progressing nicely. Best thing is that jungle has been made from scratch via his tools and will feature a realistic cover and growth ;) not to mention a huge town in progress and for the first time on my map: powerlines and stations ;)

Curious - who is Shezan71? Your previous islands were so good I really didn't thnk anyone had to teach you much of anything... but wow will we love powerlines. Any chance you can retrofit your other maps with them? Ironically I think some of the others are more fitting of a good power grid vs. Lingor.

Woot can't wait for this. Keeps getting better everytime you post, Ice! :D

jpinard: tutorials about his World Tools, pretty handy tool once you know all the tricks - might speed up the process ;)

p.s. looking for a talented addon maker who would help me create a "creature" that local tribes are talking about. They said ""its chameleon-like, changes colors and comes out of jungle when it gets very hot... and this summer is very hot" =)

Update: Lingor v0.9 will be ready for betatest today (internal, for now), new rain forests include: emergent layer, canopy layer, shrub layer and special forest floor. Towns are completely rebuilt and users of v0.5 probably won't recognize the island as its been increased by double. Heightmaps were inspired by real data of Domicana, Colombia and Brasil.

Edited by IceBreakr

Nice job so far IceBreakr,It looks reaaly great with those OA building in it and cant wait to play the new version(when I get my OA copy that is:().

for the creature I can come up with some idea's, mayby a old surviving dino or bigfoot in some camo colors, or for humans mayby some rogue sniper or fighters,...

I do know in Arma1 there was that custom jungle map that came with a unit that could use stealth camo to become invisble, Its called High definition tropical island and was done by Linker Split.-http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=3357,here is link to it, so mayby this can give you some ideas for what your looking for.

cya

Small teaser - sketch of a new improved map:

lingornewmap.jpg

Looks really nice, IceBreakr!

- Especially the more detailed arms of the rivers look really good. Also the south-west area seems not so seperated anymore as in the first overview of this island.

On the whole, it looks a lot more natural than the first one.

Good luck for the next version of this island!

Storyline added to the first post and this post:

Lin'gor. A small volcanic island with thick tropic vegetation and very little natural resources. The locals survive mainly with fishing and tourism. Only known natives are the Tay'zoon, meaning „the ones from outside“. In their ancient language, the Scoo'pnee, the name of the Island has an intriguing meaning. Lin meaning hunt and gor meaning ground, which translates to „hunting ground“.

After the first foreigners came to the island they were overwhelmed by the hospitality of the natives. For the people setting foot for the first time in this tropical paradise it was unconcievable why did the natives want to leave this island. They learned of many myths and legends about the „hunters from afar“ that supposedly visited the island every now and then. The elders told horrifying tales of these hunters, who would first kidnap the strongest and bravest men of the tribes and then hunt them down for pleasure, supposedly to prove their worth to their females.

Many curious adventurers came looking for proof, but most were persuaded from thoroughly checking the stories by the thick and inhospitable jungle that covers the vast majority of the island. Those who persisted often met horrible ends. Some ended up sick and dehidrated, stranded from civilisation, dieing alone in the mid of this green hell. Others returned insane, telling stories of some monsters that chased and killed most of their teams. No bodies were ever recovered. There exists no official record of these animals/creatures, only the stories of the elders.

Military leaders assure that these are stories for children and that there's no truth to it. Independent researchers did however get hold of military reports about units lost to „unknown cause“. Common too all these „unknown cause“ cases were the lack of bodies. One could even think that these soldiers met the famed hunters, the monsters from Lin'gor. But then again, these are just stories for children. I am sure there's nothing to worry about. -- Peter Grozni.

Nice, looking forward to the release. Finally got OA in the mailbox today. Keep up the good job.

looking forward as well. Now, to download that b52 and bomb the hell out of the jungle when it's out :)

Fox '09: I think AI just loves shooting through fallen forest trees? Berghoff, how is that handled? ;)

they do love shooting through them, you can't really do much about that, but detection can be helped with objects that block the ai's view.

Ok you BETTER be making some sort of "Hunters" with a story that epic.

That was an awesome background story.