Sign in to follow this  
red oct

Shogun 2 Total War announced

I wish they would make a Total War of say the colonial wars of the 1800s in Africa or the Indian wars of the late 1800s in the US

Edited by Big Mac

I wish they would make a Total War of say the colonial wars of the 1800s in Africa or the Indian wars of the late 1800s in the US

i was just talking to a friend about this yesterday

I so want to have the Brits going up against the Zulus in Total War.

I played the original shogun tw like mad.... Domo arigato! I can't wait to get this....

:)

YEah I was reading the article in PC Gamer UK yesterday, it sounds great! Absolutely loved the orginal! My computer could barely play it when it came out (if you moved the camera in a battle you'd get like 1 FPS lol) but i struggled on it was that good!

if this trend continues maybe they will remake Rome. or maybe make a GREECE: total war. that would be awesome

Theres plenty new they could do so i wonder why they are doing a remake, Yes Shogun 1 was awesome but thats becuase it was the first and orgional lol

Oh that is awesome I always wanted to play shogun, and having skipped over empire, this seems more than perfect. The whole Hero unit thing sounds a bit sketchy at the moment, but it is too early to pass judgments on that.

....its gonna be a long wait.

Ooh, awesome. Ah cannae wait!

But, does this mean that, following the release pattern, we may see Rome 2 soon? If so, :yay:

if this trend continues maybe they will remake Rome. or maybe make a GREECE: total war. that would be awesome

They did have an Alexander expansion pack for RTW. Most ancient Greek conquests were fought in Greece and in the immediate surrounding areas, it wouldn't make for a particularly long game if you wanted to be in any way (even very loosely like RTW was) historically accurate.

Been there done that. As I said before it's high time they focused more on the 1700s - late 1800s.

Edited by Big Mac

I'm just not looking forward to the inevitable Vietnam: Total War...

Me either. I believe the Total War series should stop before it hits WW2 and then go back and make updated versions of their past games with updated game engines and come up with new ideas. Do something like Sid Meiers Alpha Centauri, except Total War style.

the benefit of making a historical war game is that you can remake old games in old eras with updated game technology. rome was my favorite (favorite era), but every game since rome has been technologically superior. medieval TW2 was a good game, but i just am not a fan of that era. empire was good, but my comp couldnt handle it.

i would like to see rome with all the new bells and whistles ;)

i never played shogun, but it interests me

Shogun is still the best game in the series imo. Only reason I don't play it nowadays is that the camera and unit controls during battles are completely terrible by today's standards.

I like the limited scope of the campaign and the limited scope of the campaign. It reduces the things that can go wrong with the AI and general game mechanics (chariots and phalanxes in Rome, anyone?), and it gives an actual attainable end rather than the endless campaigns of the other games that just become boring repetition once one is big enough anyway.

The battle AI of Shogun is probably still the best of the five games despite that it is the oldest one, and even if the campaign AI isn't the best it isn't at least plainly self-contradicting like the one in Rome (where war and diplomacy AI are two separate AIs that don't cooperate at all).

They also say (as they did with the original Shogun) that they'll make the game rely a lot on Sun Tzu's teachings. It wasn't overly apparant in the first game, so we'll see how much they actually mean it, but it would be cool if they made cause&effect more black and white and removed the greyscale of it, as well as added depth to the strategy map to allow for Sun Tzu's stuff to shine through.

We'll see how they pull this one off. Despite the fresh changes in Empire and Napoleon and the awesomeness of broken Rome (still love the game despite its major flaws) they seriously need to shape up. Creative Assembly needs to do something fresh, and something that's not totally feckin' broken at release and that takes over a year to patch to playability. They haven't really inspired a lot of confidence in the playerbase.

You really think there are going to be three-deep ranks of Green Berets marching around the jungle taking fire from Vietcong 80mm siege machines?

The AI in the older games was ridiculous (although I was probably playing on the easier difficulties in fairness). In MTW, I once defeated a pretty sizable and well equipped army with two 3/4 strength units of spearmen, by luring them towards a forest-covered, hill, and then charging down said hill at their General. Once the general was dead, I was able to cause the rest to panic, and killed quite a few as they retreated.

About the hero characters, in the first shogun total war, wasn't there a specific unit (Kensai or something IIRC) that was just one guy who could take on loads of units before dying?

About the hero characters, in the first shogun total war, wasn't there a specific unit (Kensai or something IIRC) that was just one guy who could take on loads of units before dying?

Yeah, you could do the whole Seven Samurai thing by fully upgrading their stats and having them kill a few hundred Ashigari.

Sword Saints. I had an army of 10 of those, and just demolished thousands upon thousands of troops......I remember holding a bridge with them. Oh the fun times.....

let's hope AI is finally ok and fun to play with and against ...

let's hope AI is finally ok and fun to play with and against ...

I've never had a dull moment playing against the AI or with it in the total war series. I can't say the same for many other games...

Sword Saints. I had an army of 10 of those, and just demolished thousands upon thousands of troops......I remember holding a bridge with them. Oh the fun times.....

This ^

It looked so cool have an army of just 10 soldiers against like 2000...

...and winning...