Sign in to follow this  
raedor

Where/how/when to buy ARMA2:OA?

12:03 cest...Activation process has been terminated

The activation server is unable to complete your request. Please contact the software vendor.

now what ? :butbut:

12:03 cest...Activation process has been terminated

The activation server is unable to complete your request. Please contact the software vendor.

now what ? :butbut:

Wait a little while and try again? A number of people have already reported it's unlocked and working for them.

Wait a little while and try again? A number of people have already reported it's unlocked and working for them.

rgr.. thank for the reply..:D

---------- Post added at 08:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 AM ----------

rgr.. thank for the reply..:D

done... and running!!!

I only use steam for cheap deals that they do every so often.

But never good games like ArmA2/1 etc.

For one steam is a only licence to play the game, you do not fully own the game as your property, hence steam could terminate your licence at any given time( yeah I know it not liklely)also I do not like the idea of wasting bandwith.

For one steam is a only licence to play the game, you do not fully own the game as your property

Buying on Steam is no different than buying retail in that regard. Sure you can physically own a disc, but the contents of that disc are still IP owned by BIS. Ok, so BIS isn't going to come to your house and take your disc away, but you don't own the game itself. Anyway, let's not turn this into a debate about ownership of IP...

Besides, Valve isn't going to just go and take away people's accounts or deliberately prevent them from playing games they have purchased.

Purchased on Sprocket yesterday. Now I just need to figure out where this installer places the files!

Since you don't have the steam copy of ArmA 2 it might be better to buy it as a disc.

That way the stuff combines together properly.

If you had the steam copy of ArmA 2 then you should get the steam copy of OA as then the stuff will combine properly. It's just across two seperate "platforms(?)" the games will not recognize the serial keys - each "platform" has it's own set of serials.

I was told this by Dwarden when I asked him a very similar question on steam.

you misunderstood ...

the keys of same game are not compatible between distributions and services

the OA of any distribution in same languages group will work with any A2 in same languages group

(e.g. i think Russia and Poland are incompatible with rest)

Has the U.K one been delayed? Amazon is sayin 7-july! WTF!!!

My copy from US Amazon shipped today, and thanks to 2.99 overnight shipping I should have it in my hands tomorrow.

seems like the sprocketidea site is lagging real bad. is it overloaded?

Buying retail - games that are small in size (<2gigs) I normally buy over steam or impulse, and games that require a lot of updating (team fortress 2)

But for bigger games I almost always use retail, as it is always fun having to wait several days for a 8-gig download to complete.

As for the steam hate - it's up to you. I know I've pulled my hair out multiple times with it; I have to babysit updates for any game, literally. Every 30 seconds I have to restart steam else the download will pause infinitely.

Edited by Windexglow

My question remains unanswered: will Combined Operations be more widely available from retailers? Like play.com?

Is it worth buying? That is my question, or is it one of those games you play for 5-6 weeks then put it on the shelf? That's kinda how arma 2 was for me, I did enjoy it though for those good 5-6 weeks

Edited by Drew

Well, I have been playing arma2 several times a week (almost every day) since release, most of the time playing with my clan. So if OA is close to regular arma2 then I'd say it's worth getting.

Purchased on Sprocket yesterday. Now I just need to figure out where this installer places the files!

C:\Users\*yourname*\Documents\Sprocket

If using Vista/Win7, or the equivalent if using XP.

revised, looking good now thanks for the advice :)

Edited by Eble

meh :( started Dl from sprocket Dl has now been going for 24 hrs and stil at 65%!

Check your PM

How's the d/l speeds for people ordering through Sprocket?

It would be my preferred choice but it's just taken me 5 minutes to load the page, I guess it's getting battered with a massive increase in traffic at the moment but I'd rather go Steam if it means I can d/l in hours rather than days.

As you're in the EU you should get good speeds off the EU server, I'm in Sweden and used the EU mirror to get A2 last night using getright and I averaged about 1.4mb/s (about half of my max), Jonney is also in the UK and I think he said he got it last night in about 90 mins.

Edit: apologies I remembered wrong, he didn't actually say how long it took him to download:

i ended up getting this game from sprocket. great service. just installed it now. off to work though :(
Edited by Placebo

Blah.

Blahdvd.com moved their release date from 29th back to 2nd. I guess I have to join the good guys and order from Sprocket. :)

I've seen Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead available in my language (Italian) just on Steam, but i really hate Steam and i'd like to buy it in digital download on others platforms, will it be available in italian on sprocket also or just on Steam ?, should i wait to buy it, hopeing for another way to download it or should i looking for a boxed version ?, 'cause i wanna stay away from Steam if i can, 'cause Steam is always full of issues.

and i've got enough of it expecially for my favourite games

Yes the Sprocket version is also in Italian:

Multilingual: This version includes English, French, Spanish, Italian and Czech subtitles

Sprocket OA

Placebo, you need to have a word in someone's ear. The Sprocket.exe took 10 minutes to download (all 344k of it), download from the sprocket.exe holds at around 312kbps, using the direct links results in a download speed of 25kbps.

I understand it'll be seeing some heavy traffic but this is exactly what happened when I purchased ArmA/QG through Sprocket.

Although i'm not on the best connection here, speedtest.net verifies 9mb connection and Steam trundles along at 917kbps so i very much doubt it's my connection.

Hey BIS, wassup!? Are you punishing your german customers now, because some retailers broke the release date or why is it delayed to 02.07.10 suddenly?:confused:

You might be better off downloading via FTP then, you can get the details from the log file. The direct links are I believe to the US mirror so won't give you the best speeds.