Sign in to follow this  
raedor

Where/how/when to buy ARMA2:OA?

Im downloading from Sprocket buts its very, very slow; only 50KB a second.

Quite disappointing after paying €30

still got time, you don't get to activate the game til the 29th ;)

will there be a boxed version of combined operations in play.com etc? or is it just sprocket download?

no..... ?

i'd imagine getting it from steam would be better

i'd imagine getting it from steam would be better

Steam version doesn't get activated any sooner so that's nonsense.

True,

Ive finally got the download program to work and its a good bit faster now 300kbs but still a lot lower that the 850kbs I usually get from other services.

well, i guess there's still quite a few ppl in que to get it ;)

when the initial release is done, i'm sure the speed will be mutch better again ( say, next weekend or something like that )

Steam version doesn't get activated any sooner so that's nonsense.

Not talking about the activation. im talking about the speed of downloading it mate

Not talking about the activation. im talking about the speed of downloading it mate

You miss the point completely, no surprise. Steam cannot run until 29th, Sprocket cannot run until 29th, makes no difference if the Steam version downloads in 12 seconds and Sprocket takes 24 hours, neither can run until the 29th.......

Which is the better bet? I had purchased the retail version of A2 after some friends of mine had difficulty with the Steam one. Is this going to be the case with Arrowhead?

Steam will allow me to get it earlier - I'm just worried about mod compatibility.

For a lot of games that I'll play through once or twice I get the Steam copy. For games like this where I know I'll play for years I always get the disc.

I think I'm going to get the retail version. Seems like a safer bet with mod compatibility plus I like the idea of having a physical copy much more. But I never found a US store selling copies, hopefully my Gamestop is carrying OA on day 1.

Edited by usmc123

If you're going to purchase Operation Arrowhead over the internet, might as well go the digital download route. ;)

If it is at all possible to purchase a physical copy from a retailer, by all means do so. However, the latter option probably will not be chosen often, as the publisher(s) for Operation Arrowhead is not a very good one. :(

I buy disc only because I have every other ArmA/OFP and their expansions on DVD/CD :p

OFP1 and all expansions, ArmA1 and queens gambit, ArmAII.. wouldn't it be silly to have OA as digital one now? :p

Since you don't have the steam copy of ArmA 2 it might be better to buy it as a disc.

That way the stuff combines together properly.

If you had the steam copy of ArmA 2 then you should get the steam copy of OA as then the stuff will combine properly. It's just across two seperate "platforms(?)" the games will not recognize the serial keys - each "platform" has it's own set of serials.

I was told this by Dwarden when I asked him a very similar question on steam.

Edited by Panzer Jager

Or go Sprocket (34% through my download) and have the largest amount of your purchase go back to the studio that actually made the game.

I suppose a regular digital download would install just like the retail copy, so I wouldn't have any problems.

Correct though I'm not sure there were any real problems with mods & Steam, maybe just differences in the way they were installed/enabled. Plenty of people in my community have the Steam version of A2 and have never mentioned anything.

The number one reason to get a real proper sealed boxed dvd'ed copy is, of course, its distinctly wonderful aroma which the box emits when you unwrap it.

Also, if you refrain from using a tool, unwrapping it is often a good challenge.

And last but not least you get a slim but engaging piece of literature which will explain almost anything you should wish to know while keeping the learning curve nice and steep.

Note that I do not yet own the product in question and that the above is based on previous experience only.

Sprocket is actually in favour here, since you can preload from Sprocket but not from Steam (as of the time this was typed). :)

everybody's doing it

So, is it safe to say that

:p

You miss the point completely, no surprise. Steam cannot run until 29th, Sprocket cannot run until 29th, makes no difference if the Steam version downloads in 12 seconds and Sprocket takes 24 hours, neither can run until the 29th.......

Plus, Steam version activates 18 hours after Sprocket version and you can't even buy/download it before then.