Sign in to follow this  
tonygrunt

New Beta Build 71213 Up!

changelog? (I'm lazy)

ARMA2 Beta Patch 71213 Changelog:

[71143] Improved: -cpuCount=4 is now default on computers with more than four logical CPUs to prevent hyperthreading causing performance problems. If you want to use more CPUs, use -cpuCount=N to override this.

[71117] Optimized: Geometry loading in now optimized for multiple cores. Extra threading now enabled by default on computers with more that 2 CPUs. New possible -exThreads values: 5 (thread geometry loading only) and 7 (thread all)

[70817] Fixed: Crash while rendering some custom worlds, e.g Schmalfelden

[70793] Fixed: Character animation jerky after a unit disembarked a vehicle (http://dev-heaven.net/issues/3116)

There is actually no change in the change log :)

The email that gets sent shows the last 4 lines in the change log becuase the change logs are not consistent and BIS often change the top lines or rmove lines, hard to keep track of what the new changes are without a lot of work storing the changes (and then BIS delete or change old lines)

Yapa

some of the non working missions should now work with this build ...

some of the non working missions should now work with this build ...

I tried the official mission where Petrya is supposed to come in his car to get you for the finish of the mission this morning with the last beta and he never showed up. Ran around like a chicken waiting. Hope this fixes that.

Problems with islands is fixed.So quickly. ^^

God bless BIS.

I know it is confusing but newly introduced issues (like this crashing of user made addons, it was caused by un-binarized models with empy LODs only, btw) are not added to patches change logs. The same is fix of not working bootcamp missions.

There should be also one little but often very useful improvement that is not listed: in Windowed mode full path and command-line options are shown in the app title which did not make it to change-log.

Problems with islands is fixed.So quickly. ^^

God bless BIS.

I get a CTD when I try to prop my m4 on a ledge (key=spacebar) using the current ACE mod. On Chernarus.

Anyone else getting this? Actually, just pressing the spacebar anytime will make it crash.

Edited by Kridian

Having problems installing this beta patch, error is:

"ArmA 2 is not installed on your computer or installation is corrupted".... well ArmA 2 is installed on the computer and it is not corrupted because I can play 1.05 and the 70xxx beta patch without issues.

I have deleted the beta folder and get the same message, very annoying :( I dont want to re-install the game as its fine.

EDIT: I'm running vanilla ARMA2, no addons ever.

Yapa

Edited by Yapab

Having problems installing this beta patch, error is:

"ArmA 2 is not installed on your computer or installation is corrupted".... well ArmA 2 is installed on the computer and it is not corrupted because I can play 1.05 and the 70xxx beta patch without issues.

I have deleted the beta folder and get the same message, very annoying :( I dont want to re-install the game as its fine.

EDIT: I'm running vanilla ARMA2, no addons ever.

Yapa

Tried a restart?

That should definitely fix your problem

Ok i fixed my issue, the last beta patch had problems installing but somehow i got it working.... it seems it created some problems though.

ARMA2 is installed to "D:\ARMA2" on my system, but the last patch created a "D:\ARMA2\Bohemia Interactive" folder on my system... it also altered all my registry entires to that folder.

I deleted that folder and this is why this new beta wouldnt install.

I manually changed all the registry entries (about 12 of them) and this beta patch installed without problems. It has not created a Bohemia Interactive folder within my ARMA2 folder this time, good.

Yapa

Sorry to say, but the latest beta still crashes a lot (filepatching is still a problem, but beside that things that worked before cause an immediate CTD).

Not usable atm.

Xeno

Some results from this beta:

Sys = Q9550 @ 3.8Ghz, 4GB DDR800, GTX275 SLI, Win7 64bit

-cpuCount=4

-exThread=7

Average CPU usage is about 60 to 65% when running through Chernogorsk and fps is about 27 average.

Benchmark 1 CPU usage is about 65% average and 37fps average end result.

-cpuCount=4

-exThreads=0

Average CPU usage is about 58 to 60% when running through Chernogorsk and fps is about 25 average

Benchmark 1 CPU usage is about 65% average and 36fps average end result.

----------

Overall there is a slight fps increase and the game seems to run "smoother", there is also about 5% more cpu usage. I was hoping that it would be a bigger difference compared to using -exThreads=0.

Looking at buildings/towns still seems to kill performance. If I stand on the bridge west of Chernogorsk (my default spawn location) and look at the town my fps is about 26.. if I turn around and look at the road/tree's my fps is up to 45-50... and I notice my SLI bar going much higher and my GPU's start to warm up (have second monitor to monitor whole system).

It seems like the towns/buildings are being rendered by the CPU, would be nice if this could be offloaded onto the GPU as my GPU usage is below 30% when looking at town but about 70% when looking at trees... I guess its engine limitation that the CPU renders the towns/buildings?

EDIT: Also ARMA2 still uses only 1GB of memory (in editor, no units) and when looking at new buildings/towns running it stutters somtimes as it loads the assets, would be nice if it could pre-load way in advance into memory and use up to 2GB or more on 64Bit systems.

Yapa

---------- Post added at 04:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 AM ----------

Also just tested the SP campaign on mission Manhattan.... no difference in fps from even version 1.03/4/5.... just after you get dropped of by the chopper standing and looking around i'm stuck at about 22-24fps.... this has been the same since the game has pretty much come out.

My CPU usage is at like 30% and GPU's are pretty much idling.... <30% usage (very high settings 1680x1050).

Something is really really wrong with the campaign. If it was all the units/scripting I would expect the CPU usage to be high... if it was the graphics the GPU's would be working and heating up... yet it seems the FPS is very low but the system is hardly used.

Now I normally get 60fps (vsync enabled) when looking up at the sky in the editor.... in this Manhattan mission I'm still stuck at 25fps even when looking at the sky, is there some kind of hard lock on the fps in the campaign? Anyone found a fix? (I've been away since patch 1.04 and only test beta's now until my friend is ready to get back into the campaign coop.)

Yapa

Edited by Yapab

Is it crashing with unpacked data only? Any particular files causing it?

Sorry to say, but the latest beta still crashes a lot (filepatching is still a problem, but beside that things that worked before cause an immediate CTD).

Not usable atm.

Xeno

some results from my side

in game settings for BM City Run / Arma2 FPS Analyser:

all @very high except vd=3848, AA=high, 3dres=1280x1024 (100%)

71213@exThreads3 does for my rig the best related to FPS (best average fps, fewest lower fps, most higher fps), so I can put into that simple formula ('>' means 'more fps than'):

------

71213@exThreads3 > 70951@exThreads3 > 71213@exThreads7 > 71141@exThreads3 > 71141@exThreads7

------

I'm glad that the newest build is actual the best for my old system, too and that 70951/71141 has been taken over by 71213 :)

After 36min of play in Armory game made CTD

I've used no mods and command line:

"C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\beta\arma2.exe" -mod=beta -nosplash -cpuCount=4 -exThreads=5

My hardware specs are:

Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe 4 | Phenom II 940 @3.4 | OCZ 4Giga | PALIT HD4870SE

Edited by mant3z

Is it crashing with unpacked data only? Any particular files causing it?

Can't link to the ticket I made @CIT, currently down.

Will do as soon as it is up again.

But what's happening is that I get an immediate CTD when hitting preview in the editor and filepatching is activated (it's patching the complete ACE dev folders).

Beside that, when starting without filepatching (-noFilepatching) features like ACE weaponrest cause a CTD too (the two helper models in there are binarized, invisiomodel.p3d might be the cause of the problem).

Xeno

Edited by Xeno

I know it is confusing but newly introduced issues (like this crashing of user made addons, it was caused by un-binarized models with empy LODs only, btw) are not added to patches change logs. The same is fix of not working bootcamp missions.

Worth adding: empty lods = lods without faces. That is the case with ace_sys_weaponrest CTDs. If model has some points in LOD but not a single face, the game will crash. Instead one can create invisible face (f.e. with empty texture and material, an example is present in ca\weapons), but BIS should fix the issue ASAP. Please think of objects one wants to be invisible!

Edited by zGuba

Ok so I am confused?

I have a quadcore so should I put cpu count to 4 in my arma launcher?

No. Cpucount=4 is from this beta the default behaviour on quadcores now so no need to put it to command line.

Ok so I am confused?

I have a quadcore so should I put cpu count to 4 in my arma launcher?