Sign in to follow this  
MavericK96

New Beta Build 71195 Up!

http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php

[71143] Improved: -cpuCount=4 is now default on computers with more than four logical CPUs to prevent hyperthreading causing performance problems. If you want to use more CPUs, use -cpuCount=N to override this.

Nice, I was just about to post this. Good to see BIS churning out the betas so quickly

@maverick what are you still doing up at this time? :p

(from Redmond)

I stay up late and sleep in late. (unemployed at the moment :()

Performance-wise, this beta seems about the same, maybe even a tiny bit better than the previous one. Nice work, BIS. Still need to do some stability testing but I'm guessing as quickly as this one came out there's no major change.

I stay up late and sleep in late. (unemployed at the moment :()

Good to have something constructive to do in between job hunting :)

will this be corrected for the final patch?

as a user of a six-core AMD chip I would like Arma2 to use all those cores if possible.

1. The game probably doesn't fully use six cores anyway.

2. You can always put -cpuCount=6 into your shortcut to override it.

i always get a message popup after i install these patches telling me'' patch hasnt installed corectly install again'' and it installs fine when i do choose to install again. Its just strange that it always happens first time, even with installing as administrator. Any ideas why this happens ? I have Vista 32. Great to see BI keen to iron out performance issues with these patches. Thanks.

i always get a message popup after i install these patches telling me'' patch hasnt installed corectly install again'' and it installs fine when i do choose to install again. Its just strange that it always happens first time, even with installing as administrator. Any ideas why this happens ? I have Vista 32. Great to see BI keen to iron out performance issues with these patches. Thanks.

Try deleting or renaming the old beta folder before you install a new one.

Nice. Thank you BIS.

I am re-energized in playing ArmA2 now that you have implemented the -exthreads and other improvements. World of difference on my system.

Try deleting or renaming the old beta folder before you install a new one.

not just try, but actually do it^^

The uninstaller is a mess so I wouldn't use it.

You've got to delete the beta folder then install the new beta patch. If it doesn't work the first time, it's probably because you played arma2 recently so something clashes which means that you can't delete the .exe file. A restart will fix all your problems ;)

You don't need to jump all those hoops, just ignore the message.

It's some Vista/Win7 "issue" when a install doesn't fill the registry with enough crap or somesuch.

Haven't deleted the beta folders myself, just renamed for easier jumping betwen versions when testing..

You don't need to jump all those hoops, just ignore the message.

It's some Vista/Win7 "issue" when a install doesn't fill the registry with enough crap or somesuch.

Haven't deleted the beta folders myself, just renamed for easier jumping betwen versions when testing..

But if you ignore the message the installation fails :/

Does this affect anything at all? Because afaik the .exe itself isn't updated..

Increased performance with this beta, I use -exThreads=7 (Q9550),

but I still have CTD (without ACE).

Gulag: What is your settings and system specs? You might gone too far in some setting to CTD. havent had a single CTD in the betas. Im sure you prolly know all pitfalls by now, but there are some that actually causes CTD's. Like wrongly set VRAM in game.

Thanks BIS yet again for moving forward. Nice to skip disabling HT for those that had to do it. :)

I'm on Windows 7 and every time I install a beta it tells me it didn't install correctly. Don't be fooled, it installs and runs just fine. I just have to tell Windows that it installed correctly (it does give you the option to either reinstall or to tell it that it installed correctly).

What i would like to know is what the precise performance gain is between a dual and a quadcore(same clocks,cache and instruction sets).

Are the latest beta making full use of the 4 cores and how does this translate performance wise?

Anyone tested if this works with 3rd party islands? last Beta CTD with them.

But if you ignore the message the installation fails :/

Does this affect anything at all? Because afaik the .exe itself isn't updated..

Just do what Mr. Big Dawg says above, by ignoring I meant pressing the "installed correctly button" :p

EDIT:

Hmm, maybe I should actually say something about the beta itself..

Performance seems to be in an upwards trend, although the difference between these two newest one and .70951 isn't really noticeable unless looking at the Chernogorks FPS test where these newest raise the figures with 1-2 FPS.

Win7 Ultimate 64bit

Q6600 @ 3.2

4890 1Gb (OC'd) / Cat 10.5a

4Gb DDR2

Abit IP35 Pro motherboard

Edited by h -

[71143] Improved: -cpuCount=4 is now default on computers with more than four logical CPUs to prevent hyperthreading causing performance problems. If you want to use more CPUs, use -cpuCount=N to override this.

Very nice!

I receive CTD. if I load ANY island from addon :)

Anything except Chernorus and Utes does not work T_T

Build 71195

Win7 x64.

AMD x4 9750

9600GT

4gb

posted about this very thing in the 71141 thread a little bit ago. Duala causing ctd but sbrodj and podagorsk seem o.k. on my end. Havent tried any other islands. All mods (except beta and the island) removed from target line. BTW thanks for the rapid support BI!

Always delete the beta folder by hand and then install the new beta. That is the best way and it never gives me "This program didnt install correctly".

I have Win7 as well. Never get that message since i started deleting the folder by hand.

Also, tested -CpuCount=6 and sure enough there is activity in 6 cores. Equal amount on all roughly. When i remove that param i have the same activity on 4. How much it helps i have no clue about, but it works. :)

Edited by Alex72

Gulag: What is your settings and system specs? You might gone too far in some setting to CTD. havent had a single CTD in the betas. Im sure you prolly know all pitfalls by now, but there are some that actually causes CTD's. Like wrongly set VRAM in game.

Thanks BIS yet again for moving forward. Nice to skip disabling HT for those that had to do it. :)

Q9550-3.2Ghz, ATI 5850-1Gb, 4Gb ram, Win 7 -64bit

Textures: Very high , Land: high , Post eff.: Disabled,

Videomemory: Very high , Objects: High , Interf.: Very small,

Anis. filter.: high , Shadows: High , Screen: 16:10,

AA: normal

I tested without any addons and I had no CTD:) it seems that the problem is caused by addons.

Anyway, I think BIS is on the good way with this beta patches:)

Edited by gulag

New Beta released [71213] with no change log.

Thanks Kju and zGuba for the heads up.