Sign in to follow this  
Zipper5

[CAMP] Operation Cobalt

Damn, i think the last mission needs another 15 minutes more of time.

Hot tip for young players:

Use the BMP. You can do 90% of that mission with the BMP.

i was wrong, its a bug. some trigger seems to fail. after this search and destroy WP my leader ist just lying around and the missions is not ending. i also searched for enemys, didnt find any..

I had the same problem, but I looked around the village and found some enemy bmp and bailed out bmp crew near a pond (I think it's just north of the village). I killed the crew and voila - Mission completed. :dancered: Anyway, just try looking around and you will probably find someone. And if that doesn't help, you can still use endmission.

Hot tip for young players:

Use the BMP. You can do 90% of that mission with the BMP.

Hot tip for smartasses:

I already used the bmp from the beginning. Hell, if you go walking... it would the the longs walk ever: i couldn't say "15 minutes more", i would have to say "2 hours more".

Hot tip for smartasses:

I already used the bmp from the beginning. Hell, if you go walking... it would the the longs walk ever: i couldn't say "15 minutes more", i would have to say "2 hours more".

Well, then your plea for 15 minutes extra time is pretty pitiful then. What'd you do, drive it into the side of a barn for half an hour?

Played Colbalt and enjoyed it a lot, even if in the end I got lost a bit between factions hard to follow the story development; the multiples intros are filmesque and really awesome, I bet you spend time to make them!

That campaign deserves you to try it, it is one of best with Chesty Puller :icon_eek:

Keep up the good work, and thanks for your hard work.

So i've been an idiot and replayed the beta campaign in stead of the actual full campaign.. so yeah :p

Does anyone have a savegame that goes further (farther further?.. Belgian so dunno) then the Stealth mission of the Cobalt campaign?

I am having a bit of trouble with one of the missions. Specificalt the "out of the frying pan into the fire" mission where I am tasked to find Lepotev. After a little while I get a message from HQ to narrow my search to 3 or 4 towns, then the game tries to do an automatic save but crashes each time with this error

Op_Cobalt_error.jpg

I have tried this a number of times with the same result and error message. Any Ideas as I want to finish the campaign as I am enjoying it so much.

SD

I should start by saying I don't have an update on my campaign being made for OA because I've been on holiday since the 16th of July and thus haven't been able to work on it. Sorry. :(

When I get back, however, I should have some news for you all.

But I did figure I should mention something else very surprising which I've recently found out thanks to SaOk on the OFPEC forums. Apparently, my campaign was mentioned in their review of OA. Here's the full quote from SaOk:

Your campaign was mentioned with about 30 words in Operation Arrowhead review in the biggest finnish gaming magazine - Pelit. After commenting buggy ArmA2 and very short OA campaigns, it says BIS should take learn from you when creating campaigns and praised "realistic and well scripted"-missions with great presentation and sufficient character drafting in Operation Cobalt. There was no other community made stuff content mentioned in the review. :)

I must say I am greatly honored. I had no idea my campaign would be received with such a reaction. This is truly motivating for me, and I couldn't have done it without all of the people who helped me with the campaign, as well as all the fans. Thanks, guys. :D

Here is the translated excerpt from the magazine.

I'd like to mention Zipper5's Arma 2 campaign, Operation Cobalt, that tells about the events of Harvest Red from different perspectives. Before giving us eight realistic and well-scripted missions Zipper5 has had the patience to invest in exposition and quite sufficient character presentation. The campaign doesn't even require new mods.

That's how it should be done. If Bohemia would invest in content with comparable methods and skill, Arma 2 could break its chains of nichedom and appeal to mainstream gamers like Operation Flashpoint did.

Edited by Celery

Here is the translated excerpt from the magazine.

Isn't that the damn truth?

Seems that BIS makes campaigns just to give folks and idea what they can do with the editor. It's like going to a car dealer and taking a car out for a spin around the block and not cross country.

If only they would get more real and serious with the campaigns and make them more story driven and through in some voice acting.

Isn't that the damn truth?

Seems that BIS makes campaigns just to give folks and idea what they can do with the editor. It's like going to a car dealer and taking a car out for a spin around the block and not cross country.

I wish they would give folks campaigns to get ideas what is possible with the editor instead of the usual crappy campaigns they deliver! At no point theyve showed some fancy magic about whats possible... Rather its as if it was done by their cleaner...

Neat campaign so far! Very well made cinematics!

Harvest Red was a huge inspiration for this campaign. What it did gave me many ideas, if you don't include the entire storyline (for the most part). Reactions to it also showed me what people did and didn't like to see in campaigns. OA's campaign is also inspiration for my next campaign.

I just found something quite cool on YouTube regarding this campaign. A user by the name of M3G4G0TH has posted a 3 part video of him playing one of the missions. If you're at all interested, then check it out! Be warned, there may be spoilers if you haven't played the campaign.

Thanks M3G4G0TH! :D

They're videos of the mission Operation Cobalt.

46qpwuq0hmk

r5AJ19cByP8

1JbNycSMcD8

Can Operation Cobalt be played co-operatively?

No. It's strictly SP only unless you take it upon yourself to edit the individual missions to be MP compatible. Sorry. :(

I see there's a new version with improved timing on the It's Down to This mission... Thanks, that should help greatly, as all I managed to achieve was get frustrated when I played this through. The time limit was impossible, and now I hope to be able to play this with a tad more gusto, instead of the crazy white rabbit chase I had previously.

The length of the time limit was not changed. Testers have, for the most part, found it possible, therefore I don't see a need to change it. It's supposed to be challenging. :p

What I did change was factors associated with it, like distance to the extraction point, if Lopotev was in your custody, if you're in a vehicle, etc. That way when it's perfectly realistic to be only slightly late and the Russians can clearly see you, they won't just decide to pack up and leave without talking to you.

If you find it too difficult try the hints that can be activated via the radio. You'll find some very useful things that you may not have known existed. Hope your efforts eventually bear fruit. ;)

You see,

problem is, they radioed about the time limit after I've barely gotten to Gorka and then I drove at a break-neck pace to the next village to be searched, a local told me about the island, I drove back to forward base, switched to a truck (it drove faster, IIRC) and barely managed to the coastline in time, let alone capture and deliver Lop.

The difficulties were not in the least exacerbated by my insubordinate troops, who had big problems with getting onto the motorboat down on the coast.

Was running with Zeus AI and GL4, if that changes anything. Right, maybe I'll give it a spin then, some day. After I forget the feeling of futility. Thanks.

Here's what I, and many others have done, in either situation:

The location of Lopotev is randomized between two locations: the dam in the north, and the island far south. The only way you can find out his location is by talking to one of the informants, whose existances are also randomized. Use the radio hint option to find out where to find them, but keep in mind they're not necessarily going to be there.

If he's at the dam, simply take your vehicle or hitch a ride with the civilian standing next to the yellow Ural. Once there, clear it out (careful of the BMP and static guns, it's the more well defended location of the two) and capture Lopotev alive, he'll be in the main shed. Then transport him to the rendezvous via your vehicle or any vehicle you can find at the camp. This is the easiest one to make in time if you do this.

If he's at the island, use the hints to find the abandoned heli tours. Go there, clear out the guards, find the keys in the gate office and board the Mi-8. There's little fuel so you'll have to fly fast. Quickly head south towards the island but be careful on approach as there's a Shilka guarding the island. Land in a safe area and head to the only group of houses on the island. Clear out the soldiers there and head to the only enterable bungalow to capture Lopotev. Use his personal Mi-8 (you can also use the boats at the dock, but they might be too slow) to get yourself to the extraction point. It's not easy to do this one, but if you are fast enough you should be able to make it.

Basically the idea is to be fast on your feet in this mission. I'll admit it's hard to make the deadline, but it's meant to be. Trying to show the Russians aren't in the most cooperative mood with this. :p

Hope it helps. Would be a shame if you didn't get to finish it.

I think Zipper5 is a pretty cool guy, eh makes campaigns and does'nt afraid of anything

I think Cobalt is a pretty cool guy, eh makes campaigns and doesn't afraid of anything.

Thanks, Zip. I suspected that you're forced to find a helicopter to be able to make it on time, I'll give it another go.

hey zipper.

Been playing this for about an hour or so, it is indeed a very very well made campaign.

What i am missing, and would love to see that changed is the lack of voice acting.

I know you had this thought over, and you were looking for voice actors, i just am not sure if you even think about updating it anymore.

Again, congrats on this jobbie (i don't play SP all that much, but hell, this one is a blast).

If I was to get offers for voice acting I'd definitely update the campaign to use them. Unfortunately, there seems to be an overall lack of Czech and Russian speaking voice actors, or perhaps they just weren't interested, I don't know. :p

But thanks for the kind words, mate. I'm delighted to see people are still getting enjoyment out of it. :D

I would suggest you post on communities forums (CF for instance might be a good start).

I could talk to my KH mates, but most are UK, other are fins, germans etc, neither being russian or czech.

Guess you already tried through voice actor social group.