Sign in to follow this  
granQ

Medical Chain Module

What is the difference between a medic, an ambulance and a field hospital? Wow, very different you say.. but not in ofp/arma/arma2. They have the exactly same function.

Now I was thinking I want to ride in the ambulance if hurt and so on.. but how/why and this is what I came up with.

I making a module to increase the "chain" for when you get hit, its a module so of course you can choose which type of missions it should apply to. I personally can imagine it in all types of mission more depending on player style the mission.

The goal is to add "functions" to bis own medical module, not replace. But also possible to run without it.

Anyway, how it works (or rather will work).

You get hit, if you more then 50% damaged, like we talking a bullet in your leg here something like that. The bleeding will start.

Role of medic

When the bleeding starts the player got x (right now 10) minutes before he dies, if a medic "heals" him, he gets double the time of what was remaining. So if the medic heals after 3 minutes, the player now got 7x2 = 14 minutes left before he dies.

Role of field hospitals

Once you reach a hospital, you will be "fully recovered" and not longer "bleeding to death"

Role of ambulances

Now the "important" part, if you get inside an ambulance (works with any addons as long they have the healing ability) the "bleeding/timer" halts, so you safe until you get out.

Comments I got so far:

Awesome!

Thanks, thats what I think too :)

Boring, people wish to play not spend time transporting

Well, i guess each for his own, i do like play with locked first person and enjoy seeing the interior of vehicles, perhaps more the ones without windows.. i like it. Also transport distance depends on mission and how you play. Perhaps the hospital is just 400 meter away with an ambulance 100 meter close to the deployment.

Perhaps works on games with many players but not with few

Actually one of the scenarios I was thinking about is a mission with 5 human players that got a small hidden base with ammocrates, tents and "mash tent". They attack targets around them but if one get shoot the whole team needs to make it back (if they are teamplayers).

however I want more ideas..

There is one problem so far, I don't have arma2 right now.. so can't test my scripts, there might be many small syntax error, just wrote in notepad. Also I think there is a bug with "double the time".... will have to look into that.

start it with:

medical_chain = [] execVM "medical_chain\init.sqf";

Updated files found here:

http://granq.se/private/medical_chain.7z

Edited by granQ
spelling

Interesting concept. I look forward to see more from this.

I think it's a generally good idea :) in that, it sounds great from a "realism" perspective. But, I would wonder how much of it would be welcome in *actual* practice. Generally in ArmA2 the battles are compressed, in that any ambulance joining the battlefield will be targeted just like any other vehicle due to small distances and tighter timelines. I think the above idea would be enhanced in its usefulness if ambulances (including maybe air ambulances) had a reduced chance of being targeted. Somehow.

Not a zero chance, but a significantly reduced chance, to make the idea viable in actual gameplay.

DMarkwick, i guess those "smart" players ;) need to learn to park and disembark, put up a position before actually the combat scene. Often its possible to hide all vehicles behind the terrian, move troops up and just sprint back if needed :)

What I was thinking of was rather then going back to the actually base, i like but another option could be that you just need to sit in the ambulance for lets say 1 minute.

I really like the idea, specialy in an organised op within a unit, obviously the FOB would have the medical tent all set up before and ambulences at the ready. GranQ is there any chance the ambulence bit can be in-corporated into a med-evac i.e chinhook/blackhawk?

Thanks Jeza

right now how it works is that if the player jumps into a vehicle, it will check if that vehicle has healing abilities, if so pause it.

So basicly, either i could add some "exceptions" for using the default bis uh60.. or could easily make a special "medevac" version that has the ability to heal (then it would ofcourse require the addon).

So yeah i will think of that, i know many wish to use medical evac rather then using this beautiful model..

http://www.armatechsquad.com/ArmA2Class/vehicles/Wheeled/full/HMMWV_Ambulance.jpg

Role of medic

When the bleeding starts the player got x (right now 10) minutes before he dies, if a medic "heals" him, he gets double the time of what was remaining. So if the medic heals after 3 minutes, the player now got 7x2 = 14 minutes left before he dies.

Role of field hospitals

Once you reach a hospital, you will be "fully recovered" and not longer "bleeding to death"

Role of ambulances

Now the "important" part, if you get inside an ambulance (works with any addons as long they have the healing ability) the "bleeding/timer" halts, so you safe until you get out.

This is exactly what i've wanted to see for a long time. I was hoping ACE wounding would bring this, i'll look into it!

This sounds good but after a medic treats you, there should be more time. 5-20 min is not enough time for an ambulance.

This sounds good but after a medic treats you, there should be more time. 5-20 min is not enough time for an ambulance.

you mean for waiting for the ambulance to arrive? In that case I don't agree.. a chopper should be able to dispatch and land within 15 minutes in most cases..

for wheeled ambualnces its recommended to bring one to the front.. rather then "damnit, we didn't plan someone would get shot, someone return and get the ambulance".

Once inside the ambulance, the timer stops which means you can have a half hour drive back without problem.. its just critical to arrive at time.

Fixed some bugs and now I got 3 things left..

* Add display effect, darker/ more red the closer you get to "times up"

* Find a solution to support "custom hospitals".

* Make it work with JIP

you mean for waiting for the ambulance to arrive? In that case I don't agree.. a chopper should be able to dispatch and land within 15 minutes in most cases..

for wheeled ambualnces its recommended to bring one to the front.. rather then "damnit, we didn't plan someone would get shot, someone return and get the ambulance".

Once inside the ambulance, the timer stops which means you can have a half hour drive back without problem.. its just critical to arrive at time.

Fixed some bugs and now I got 3 things left..

* Add display effect, darker/ more red the closer you get to "times up"

* Find a solution to support "custom hospitals".

* Make it work with JIP

I was thinking an AI driven Hummve ambulance that starts from the "Mash" base.

then I would recommend:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=93811&highlight=medical

Its more of ai and effects, mine is primarly to change gameplay in multiplayer and make people use ambulances more tacticaly.

Ace compatible?

Can't say too much because I don't normally use ACE and I don't have acesses to ArmA2 until 3 more weeks..

but it should work fine.. with BIS and with ACE. Basicly you will drop down when hit in ACE, then a ace medic system will make you fit enough for transport back to the base to fix the bleeding from my script.

Oh and i figured out (thanks to stiltman) how to solve the "hospital", it will come included with the basic hospitals, mash tents.. but if you got an addon or wish to use a different building, lets say a barrack. Then you just syncronize it with the module when you start.

Edited by granQ

Sounds like a fantastic idea. Looking forward to seeing some progress :)

i think you should install ace 2 to make a full compatibility addon with ace because ace implement a lot of medical stuff and you can use it for your addon (like plasma bag , tourniquet and other thing) and in ace we have a strecher =)

Sounds really nice! I've been longing for a wound system for smaller and longer games that's not the usual revive system but a bit more demanding. ACE Wound is nice, but it usually ends up being either too much medical gear on people, or so little it is very cumbersome for few players to survive a longer time. Good initiative :)

M1n1d0u, as I said I dont even have ArmA2...

anyway, it should be fully compatibility with ACE, without ACE, with BIS modules..

and all you need is to put this folder in your mission and start it with:

medical_chain = [] execVM "medical_chain\init.sqf";

Updated files found here:

http://anrop.se/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=634&getfile=127 old files, see first post for current

Edited by granQ

5-20 min is not enough time for an ambulance.

You can cross all of the map in Arma 2 in less than 20 minutes.

I have been hoping for some sort of system like this for ages. I hope it gets fully implemented into ACE one day. :)

thanks to Oden the system is almost done.. i will start to prepare a first proper release which should work and include stuff like readme and similar :p

You can cross all of the map in Arma 2 in less than 20 minutes.

You're assuming the vehicle is free to drive at top speed, unimpeded.

I've been in situations where I've been wounded and bled out because the medic simply couldn't get to me in time due to nearby enemy - and I was probably less than 500m away from the medic...but such can happen IRL too, so I still don't think that 5-20min is unreasonable.

Sounds like a good idea. Should be moved to Complete though, as some content has been released.

well.. i know the bis rules, basicily if i say i am gonna make an addon and release a .bmp showing a paint image of how i want it to work.. i released some content right.

The files i posted so far doesn't work at all.. i was hoping to get some feedback and i got it from Oden so now it should work fine but its silly if this get moved to complete be cause the script can't even run..