Sign in to follow this  
wld427

Texview 2 filters

Can anyone recommend a good filter "script\code" to get a good rvmat finish for a tank in arma2. right now my stuff is coming out waaaaay too glossy

If you want things to be barely reflective you need very low values, low on the colors and especially on the spread of the light, this helps to get rid of the glossy effect since the light is not as concentrated. Here is what I used to test on my ground vehicles, now this may give too little light but it is a start.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/Arma%202%20NATO%20retexture/hmmwextRvmat.png?t=1275361655

You may want to go higher, as I said this was simply a testing value but it worked quite well, there was a much wider spread of light which weakened it's shine and the shine itself was already weak so there was very little, no glimmering whatsoever.

Slightly OT but this is the most extreme lighting I've seen on a ground vehicle in real life http://www.flickr.com/photos/cbane/2645385408/sizes/l/in/set-72157606026704459/ I wouldn't recommend using it though, considering the angle pointed directly at the sun but it gives you an idea of what to go for at the absolute most if you must.

Edited by NodUnit

i use the following as generic metal rvmat for all metalic stuff i actually doesnt have a normal and specular map for. use it as template and play around with the values from the material templates.

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Material_templates

i edit it with a texteditor btw, so you can test quite fast what the result is, material editor is always kind of laggy on my machine when changing values.

as you can see i have a little higher values at specular then nodunit has (me0.15 he 0.09) which makes them quite shiny, if you think bis original models are to shiny, stay with nodunits value.

best results you get of course with a specular map created for the specific model/texture, crazybump is quite nice as a basis which often needs some additional manual editing afterwards.

well here is the generic rvmat, using no specially created nohq or smdi, just procedural textures.

ambient[]={1,1,1,1};

diffuse[]={1,1,1,1};

forcedDiffuse[]={0,0,0,0};

emmisive[]={0,0,0,1};

specular[]={0.15000001,0.15000001,0.15000001,0};

specularPower=90;

PixelShaderID="Super";

VertexShaderID="Super";

class Stage1

{

texture="#(argb,8,8,3)color(0.5,0.5,1,1,NOHQ)";

uvSource="tex";

class uvTransform

{

aside[]={1,0,0};

up[]={0,1,0};

dir[]={0,0,0};

pos[]={0,0,0};

};

};

class Stage2

{

texture="#(argb,8,8,3)color(0.5,0.5,0.5,0.5,DT)";

uvSource="tex";

class uvTransform

{

aside[]={1,0,0};

up[]={0,1,0};

dir[]={0,0,0};

pos[]={0,0,0};

};

};

class Stage3

{

texture="#(argb,8,8,3)color(0,0,0,0,MC)";

uvSource="tex";

class uvTransform

{

aside[]={1,0,0};

up[]={0,1,0};

dir[]={0,0,0};

pos[]={0,0,0};

};

};

class Stage4

{

texture="#(argb,8,8,3)color(1,1,1,1,AS)";

uvSource="tex";

class uvTransform

{

aside[]={1,0,0};

up[]={0,1,0};

dir[]={0,0,0};

pos[]={0,0,0};

};

};

class Stage5

{

texture="#(argb,8,8,3)color(0,1,1,1,SMDI)";

uvSource="tex";

class uvTransform

{

aside[]={1,0,0};

up[]={0,1,0};

dir[]={0,0,0};

pos[]={0,0,0};

};

};

class Stage6

{

texture="#(ai,64,64,1)fresnel(1.35,0.10)";

uvSource="none";

};

class Stage7

{

texture="ca\data\env_land_co.paa";

uvSource="none";

};

Edit:

nice example nodunit. would be specular 0.9,0.9,0.9 or higher i guess.

Edited by Scars09

Thanks for the info guys!

Btween what you had posted andcomparing to wha ti had, along with a little fiddling of my own i was able to learn a great deal about rvmats.

Thanks again

Eddie

Project RACS