Sign in to follow this  
dmitri

Long time visual bug - transparent textures + fog

Not strictly related to the beta patches but with the recent volume of releases I'm hoping this long time bug can be fixed.

Objects with transparent texture elements (_CA) loose their transparency in fog.

Visual bug has been in the engine since ArmA 2's release and has probably been mentioned elsewhere, deserves another bump. Makes playing with fog difficult (enemies obscured behind fences)\ugly :(

Happens regardless of hardware\graphics settings.

fogq.jpg

+1 for this. You might want to create an entry in the CIT as well.. here

If you notice I think BIS had a frozen look in mind, more for a winter-like setting. I have no idea why they made it dependent on fog levels, though. Perhaps we'll see them improve or remove this feature in the future, but it doesn't bug me too much.

not strictly related to the beta patches but with the recent volume of releases i'm hoping this long time bug can be fixed.

+1

/kc

I second that. Hopefully this will get fixed asap, it is really immersion breaking when playing missions with fog settings.:( Has this ever been reported in the bug tracker?

kind regards

Another big problem (which can be seen in above screenshots, too) is the clearly visible horizon, or shall I better say rough polygon edge of the terrain. That part really looks like a 20 year old computergame. Back then we were glad to have 3D at all, but today a better graphics quality can be expected imho, especially in a game that otherwise delivers really good graphics.

Same goes for roads, they render quite late and in a ugly way in the fog.

I'm sure everyone knows how this look, but just in case I made a short video to illustrate it (it's the scripted beginning of the Crash and Grab SP mission, so you can check any changes in case this issue is being worked on)

http://members.hfd.de/brainbug/arma2/videos/fog.avi (33 sec, 8 MB, X.264)

All in all, the fog itself has to be done differently I think.

Well actually this problem appeared for the first time in ArmA II. As far as I remember fog settings in OFP and Armed Assault have never been an issue.

regards

Edited by nettrucker
deleted question

I'm sure everyone knows how this look, but just in case I made a short video to illustrate it (it's the scripted beginning of the Crash and Grab SP mission, so you can check any changes in case this issue is being worked on)

http://members.hfd.de/brainbug/arma2/videos/fog.avi (33 sec, 8 MB, X.264)

All in all, the fog itself has to be done differently I think.

Yeah I hate this look, it's really quite annoying. My mission in your video doesn't even use fog but having heavy rain causes similar graphical oddities.

while {true} do
{
0 setOvercast 1;
0 setRain 1;
};

Because afaik setOvercast and setFog cannot be used together.

I hope BIS can sort both these issues out because playing the game with heavy rain or lots of fog just looks nasty :(

I also have this bug, also in beta 70951

This bug is already reported in the bugtracker:

Link to the bug

I hope they fix it for A2:OA

Fog needs an overhaul anyhow. It should occlude the sky, and also affect visibility in the vertical dimension.

while {true} do
{
0 setOvercast 1;
0 setRain 1;
};

Because afaik setOvercast and setFog cannot be used together.

Yes it can, you just have to wait for one to finish to start the other.

60 setOverCast 1;

60 setFog 1;

will fail because of that (spawning the code doesn't help either), but:

25 setOverCast 1;

sleep 30;

25 setFog 1;

will work.

Keep in mind two things though. A "full overcast" happens way before value 1.0, which is really more for thunderstorms (but not violent storms). Also, setFog value 1.0 isn't possible, 0.9 seems to be the limit the engine can deal with (just hint format fog to verify). Also, setFog value 0.9 is frigging extreme!!! Pluss it makes everything just look ugly, like shown in the pictures above. It makes gameplay insane and I advice you to stay more sensible :) Not sure when people needs fog they often tap the end of the scale.

Yeah that's why I never play with fog. I think there's 2 seperate issues here. The fog making everything look frosty and the jagged horizon with lots of rain. Having full overcast and full rain looks great when you're on the ground, but as Brainbug's video showed, it looks nasty from the air.