Sign in to follow this  
rksl-rock

RESEARCH - KTS and Feet vs KPH and Metres

KTS and Feet or KPH and Metres.  

94 members have voted

1. 1. KTS and Feet or KPH and Metres.

Ok folks.

This question has been bugging me for a while and its been the topic of great debate amongst the people I play with.

Most Western aircraft use Knots and Feet for speed and altitude readouts. What i want to know is, do people want these units on the HUDs and displays of the aircraft (where appropriate) instead of the metric measurements?

TO CLARIFY:

Its not realistic for most British Aircraft to use KPH and Metres on the HUD and displays.

BUT

It is realistic on some mainland European and Russian/Soviet/OPFOR nation's aircraft.

So I'm asking, should I use Kts and Ft on the British and US aircraft?

EDIT - I should also say I'm running the same poll on 2 other clan sites. I'm going to add the results of all 3 together before coming to any conclusions.

Edited by RKSL-Rock

The obvious answer: Realisme :p !

Meaning, if the country (side) uses KTS/Feet as standard, one will need to learn how to handle these readouts. Same way you will need to adopte ("play roll") of that side/country.

It might confuse some, but since most of use want this game to become more and more a sim, i guess you will have to make an effort to understand these values.

Also, if not mistaken, for example the UK army MAN trucks we ship here in Belgian have dual readouts regarding speed. Not 100% sure (will double check next time i jump in one) but at least all civil cars have these dual readouts.

*Didn't vote as the pole didn't include this 'realisme' vote :) .

Both - but only to get rid of the outcry :p

Is possible to implement an KTS-feet/KPH-metres switch?

The obvious answer: Realisme :p !

*Didn't vote as the pole didn't include this 'realisme' vote :) .

Thats confused me a bit! Realism for a British Eurofighter would be Knots and Feet. Realism for German Eurofighter "might" be KPH and Metres which is why I said "where appropriate"

So realism = vote for "Knots and Feet" as far as i see it.

I'll clarify the first post. I think.

Both - but only to get rid of the outcry :p

Is possible to implement an KTS-feet/KPH-metres switch?

Not that i know of without resorting to mission based game logics and description.ext nonsense.

Voted for Knots and Feet, for the realism reason. Whatever they use on the version your making then go for that.

I voted for KPH and metres because I am not able, to imagine e.g. 200 feet on the spot,

while kilometres is easier.

I voted for KPH and metres because I am not able, to imagine e.g. 200 feet on the spot,

You see i have the same problem but with KPH and Metres... :p

KPH and Metres, because metric is better and less confusing, plus it'll give me an excuse to actually look at the vehicle hud rather than the arma hud when I want to see my speed and altitude.

You should still be able to tell by visual checks though/use ArmA hud.

And most importantly 0 feet and 0 metres are the same ;)

Voted for knots and feet. You want fly choppers and planes? Mess around with it or stay on ground.

Also i would welcome if the ArmA 2 HUD would be disabled. Just Cockpit instruments.

to be honest I really don't care but as I'm used to Km/h and meters.

Thats confused me a bit! Realism for a British Eurofighter would be Knots and Feet. Realism for German Eurofighter "might" be KPH and Metres which is why I said "where appropriate"

ALL modern Luftwaffe Aircraft measure in knots and feet...this is a worldwide standard in aviation...exept in russia and ex-soviet countries, and even there meters and Km/h get replaced step by step with more modern russian/ukrainian aircraft types.

But:...most attack helicopters measure distance in meters...this is because they operate with ground troops that also measure distance in meters. not miles, yards etc.

Knots and feet. Its just the way it works.

Edit:

But:...most attack helicopters measure distance in meters...this is because they operate with ground troops that also measure distance in meters. not miles, yards etc.

The military grid reference system works in meters. I think it has something to do with the UTM Standard and hence you need the meters. And also its much easier for conversion etc.

In the military you will find that most operate by the metric system.

Edited by Serclaes

ALL modern Luftwaffe Aircraft measure in knots and feet...this is a worldwide standard in aviation...exept in russia and ex-soviet countries, and even there meters and Km/h get replaced step by step with more modern russian/ukrainian aircraft types.

Im not sure thats true. I was sat in a Mirage 2000 last year and the HUD was in metres. I confess i dont remember what the dials were in though.

And every single helicopter i've been in, civil or military (except MI8/17 and 24) has been in Knots and feet even the chinese copies of the Dauphin etc.

Im very sure for eurofighters, tornados and phantoms, and I wrote that military operated Helos measure DISTANCE in meters, not nautical miles...i never wrote of altitude or Speed indicvation.

France is always special...they never really stuck to any standards.

Im very sure for eurofighters, tornados and phantoms, and I wrote that military operated Helos measure DISTANCE in meters, not nautical miles...i never wrote of altitude or Speed indicvation.

France is always special...they never really stuck to any standards.

But we are talking soley about altitude and speed.

and i used the word "might" when talking about the German Eurofighters using kph/metres. It was only a possible example not a statment of fact.

Even if Im from a metric country I prefer knots and feet as Im used to that from flightsims (+ the realism).

A little OT but: isn't it ironic that in the "Suggestions" Forum a thread exists which asks to make ArmA 2 more realistic and in the same time in here people refuse to accept that reality probably wont fit their idea of a "perfect game"?

Personally i think: screw what "people" want, look how it is: if the real plane has knots and feet, then the addon should use knots and feet and vice versa.

As an rl pilot knots and feet is a must anything else just looks silly!

Knots and feet. I mostly work in metric, but for the life of me I can't fathom KPH and metres when flying in ArmA. It just feels wrong.

Also, if not mistaken, for example the UK army MAN trucks we ship here in Belgian have dual readouts regarding speed. Not 100% sure (will double check next time i jump in one) but at least all civil cars have these dual readouts.

In civilian trucks, everything is metric in Europe, even here in the UK.

Both ArmA HUD and aircraft HUD in meters\KPH or both in KTS\Feet for me.

AFAIK isnt possible to convert ARMA HUD to Feet\KTS, so voted in Meters\KPH.