Sign in to follow this  
maddogx

New Beta Build 70951 is up!

@ricmaughn, this is a question for the ACE devs, not for this topic. Beta patches should be tested without addons at all times.

Probably never for ArmA 2. Fixing it would require DX 10.1, there is too little control over anti-aliased surface sampling in DX 9 (and this is also the reason why you can see the same artefact in many games).

Thank you for the honest answer. I was going to ask about this as well.

Suma, I would like to request you increase the # of simultaneous sound/sound sources. The current limit appears very low currently in modest battles. Sound cuts out. Maybe give us the option to increase it and see what the fps hit would be. Obviously sound is just as important as visuals for the immersive feeling of being in battle.

PCIe Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium Fatality

- NOTE: you may have addressed this already in the patch - will test

---------- Post added at 11:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

On the i920 HT issue: it would be interesting if someone posted benches with sbsmac's tool for:

-HT on, no cpucount param used

-HT on, cpucount=4

-HT off

I've heard several people claim that cpucount=4 also aides a lot.

It might be better for BIS if we split this HT issue thing in a separate topic, so they can focus on their works and not on a general cpu issue.

Yoma, honestly it's not worth investigating HT. I spent 2 months benchmarking, testing, and overclocking my rig and worked with a few enegineers on the best timings and properties. Hyperthreading puts too much strain on quad core processors and is universally been shown to hurt gaming performance. It has two main features - marketing and some desktop applications benefit. If you don't believe and want to waste your time on it start with this basic article and I can provide a hundred more: http://www.agner.org/optimize/blog/read.php?i=6

In the end you'll find for the power and strain on the processor you get ~20% increase with pure clock vs. HT and as you increase the strain Hyperthreading starts to actually cripple perfomance because it can't keep up with faking 4 extra processors.

Edited by jpinard

Thanks for the beta's. Runs fine here.

Q9650 @3 ghz - win xp sp2 - 3gb ram

Suma, can you please fix the zoom issue sometime? On foot 2x keypad + or - locks zoom levels, but not in- or after using vehicles.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=99474

Every beta i keep hoping it's adressed.

Spent some time with latest build 70951 last night and the "sound cutting out issue" seems to be fixed or greatly improved, nice! Don't know if following was just a temporary thing but noticed the mouse pointer behave kinda wierd in UI menu, kind of laggy or steppy for me.

Can't say much about performance or AI since I played against humans but may get some more time with it this weekend.

Only tried with -exThreads=0 so far.

/KC

Don't know if following was just a temporary thing but noticed the mouse pointer behave kinda wierd in UI menu, kind of laggy or steppy for me.

I've recently experienced the same myself (for a couple of weeks), not using the beta. I'm wondering if ACE could be the culprit, since it is the only thing I keep downloading/updating on a constant basis (it's too intermittent to draw any conclusions anyway and only seems to occur in the gear-dialog).

I've recently experienced the same myself (for a couple of weeks), not using the beta. I'm wondering if ACE could be the culprit...

FYI - I tested vanilla yesterday, no addons loaded at all.

/KC

@ricmaughn, this is a question for the ACE devs, not for this topic. Beta patches should be tested without addons at all times.

I want to clarify this, if you report problems(testing, as rundll says), you better not have any addons loaded. But most addons work fine with the beta normally.. Just don't have them loaded when reproducing/documenting bugs or they will be invalid and ignored.

(only saying this because someone said on TS to me last night that you aren't supposed to ever use addons with the betas, presumably after reading that. :D )

Edited by oktane

Hello all.

some observations I've made using this beta:

Performance has improved for me, for the first time I reached 24fps in the benchmark :) and the game "streams" much better than the previous betas.

Is it just me, or has this overly blooming and glowing been reduced too?

However, I get some weird crashes with the game. Sometimes the game just freezes. And the dumb thing is: I can't reproduce it. Sometimes the game will freeze after 3 hours, sometimes after 10 minutes... I don't know what's wrong, I've never experienced that with 1.05.

But I have to admit that I had to do a complete reinstall of my entire pc some days ago, so I'm not sure if it's the beta or some other problems, because after having to reboot my pc always says: "building dmi pool data" and stops there.

Yoma, honestly it's not worth investigating HT. I spent 2 months benchmarking, testing, and overclocking my rig and worked with a few enegineers on the best timings and properties. Hyperthreading puts too much strain on quad core processors and is universally been shown to hurt gaming performance. It has two main features - marketing and some desktop applications benefit.

The only reason i'm asking this is because some users have a locked bios where it simply cannot be disabled... (I know it sucks allready, but as I had reports on it being a lot less of an issue using cpucount=4 it may be usefull for some people to see the difference)

I can't test it as i don't have the hardware :P

^^I tested so far with HT off (with no cpu limiter param to clarify), and also HT on with -CpuCount=4 (wich i run now) and to me its all the same. Heat, FPS and rest when it comes to A2. At least on my PC so if a cpu is in fact bios locked then use the startup parameter -CpuCount=4 and you should be good.

Don't know if this was already mentioned but with this new build the 2 sights for the G36 in single and full mode are gone again :(

There is still a memory leak somewhere like the last beta. After playing for 20 min I crashed out again.

Win7 x64 Pro

8Gb ram

285gtx 1Gb

BIS I will say one great thing about the beta's is the -exthreads. This has made the game so much more enjoyable now that the texture popping is exterminated with =3. To me with setup this is the greatest thing yet. The game may stutter here and there as it loads stuff from my HD, but game killing texture popping from standard 1.05 is dead. Thanks.

Edited by Punisher5555

Does anyone have a problem with latest dedicated beta server? It just hangs on mission loading and does nothing. If you close its window, it still hangs in process list. I've tried different missions and completely without mods. Everytime same story.

Edit: nevermind. I guess, I did something and it started to work... don't know actually what was the problem. I just added -exThreads=3 -CpuCount=2 in command line

Edited by MessiahUA

I lost my ca_ah64D.pbo installing this. Never had any beta problems before though. FPS is up but still nowhere where it was back in 1.01.

Having problem with ACE US ARMY soldier and last two Beta patches

soldiers missing body parts.

doesn't happen with patch 105

anyone no the cause

happens with Bink 2008 US soldiers also (same soldiers as in ace)

is this a problem with this addon or the patch

Update BWMod to version 1.7.

After playing some more MP with build 70951 (-exThreads=0) my conclusion is that 1.05 final still have the upper hand when it comes to general performance/texture loading/LOD switching on my specific computer.

That being said I love some of the other fixes, especially the sounds not cutting out (as much) when lots of sound sources are within range!

/KC

And to add what KeyCat wrote...

I had multiple crashes while playing with the latest beta patch(es).

Switched back to 63826 and beside better performance no crashes anymore.

Xeno

Performance-wise, I cannot judge about decreasing or increasing, because I OCed my CPU and GPU during the last betas.

About crashes, I didn´t have one a with the latest betas. I played some Coops, Dom- and WF-missions with 1.05.70951 (playtime 2-4 hours for each mission) the last days and didn´t have a single crash.

The dedicated servers where I played were running on 1.05 official.