Sign in to follow this  
King Haggis

Dedicated server lots of players disconnecting after connecting

Hi folks,

I've just set up a dedicated server for our clan and everything works so far. The only problem I have, and I'm not even sure it's a problem, is that sometimes it seems players aren't able to connect to the server. I can join the server, 3 of my friends can join the server and a couple of other random players sometimes join the server but everytime I play and somebody connects there is a 75% chance you see the player disconnecting after 30 seconds or so. When I check the logfile I can't really tell the reason why those players disconnect. It just says "Player Example connecting" and a few seconds later "Player Example disconnected".

I'm having a hard time believing this is a coincedence. It's weird because myself and a few others have no problems connecting at all. Is it possible that those guys have a too high ping and that's why they can't connect?

Yesterdayevening I was hosting a warfare game and of the 6 players that connected only 2 stayed and played. Maybe the others decided to press ESCAPE while connecting but I'm afraid my server is blocking them for some reason.

Maybe those people are hackers or they use unsigned MODs or something? I can't find any evidence of that in the logfile, just connected, then disconnected. Maybe it's nothing to worry about but I would like to know for sure. We host Warfare BE latest version with no MODs. I only added a bisign key for those who want to connect with Beton and Bushlurkers vegetation addon so Chernarus looks like summer instead of autumn. Works fine when I connect. Two of my friends can join that way too and another friend just uses plain vanilla ArmA 2 with no MODs and he can join too so I guess it's set up allright.

Could somebody be so kind to check if my settings are allright?

Thank you! :bounce3:

//

// server.cfg

//

// comments are written with "//" in front of them.

// GLOBAL SETTINGS

hostname = "[NL] FREEDOM - Home of the Chosen Clan"; // The name of the server that shall be displayed in the public server list

password = ""; // Password for joining, eg connecting to the server

passwordAdmin = ";)"; // Password to become server admin. When you're in Arma MP and connected to the server, type '#login xyz'

reportingIP = "armedass.master.gamespy.com"; // This is the default setting. If you change this, your server

//reportingIP = arma2pc.master.gamespy.com"; // In case of ArmA2 might not turn up in the public list. Leave empty for private servers

logFile = "server_console.log"; // Tells ArmA-server where the logfile should go and what it should be called

// WELCOME MESSAGE ("message of the day")

// It can be several lines, separated by comma

// Empty messages "" will not be displayed at all but are only for increasing the interval

motd[] = {

"", "", "",

"Welcome to the Chosen Clan server",

"This server is being maintained by GEPO-systems, we use a 60Mbit cable connection",

"You're free to play here but cheating and teamkilling will result in permanent ban!",

"Try to maintain teambalance, speak only Dutch, English or German",

"Last of all, HAVE FUN AND ENJOY YOUR DAY ON THE BATTLEFIELD

!"

};

motdInterval = 10; // Time interval (in seconds) between each message

// JOINING RULES

checkfiles[] = {}; // Outdated.

maxPlayers = 20; // Maximum amount of players. Civilians and watchers, beholder, bystanders and so on also count as player.

kickDuplicate = 0; // Each ArmA version has its own ID. If kickDuplicate is set to 1, a player will be kicked when he joins a server where another player with the same ID is playing.

verifySignatures = 1; // Verifies the players files by checking them with the .bisign signatures. Works properly from 1.08 on

equalModRequired = 0; // Outdated. If set to 1, player has to use exactly the same -mod= startup parameter as the server.

// VOTING

voteMissionPlayers = 0; // Tells the server how many people must connect so that it displays the mission selection screen.

voteThreshold = 0.50; // 33% or more players need to vote for something, for example an admin or a new map, to become effective

// INGAME SETTINGS

disableVoN = 0; // If set to 1, Voice over Net will not be available

vonCodecQuality = 7; // Quality from 1 to 10

persistent = 1; // If 1, missions still run on even after the last player disconnected.

// SCRIPTING ISSUES

onUserConnected = ""; // self-explaining

onUserDisconnected = "";

doubleIdDetected = "";

regularCheck = "";

// some ArmA specific stuff - signature verification

onUnsignedData = "kick (_this select 0)"; // unsigned data detected

onHackedData = "kick (_this select 0)"; // tampering of the signature detected

onDifferentData = "0"; // data with a valid signature, but different version than the one present on server detected

BattlEye = 1; //Server to use BattlEye system

// MISSIONS CYCLE (see below)

class Missions {};

Well, so far no response I see.

Yesterdayevening we were playing Warfare again and this time we had a record of 6 players playing at once in the server. But still I saw people connecting and disconnecting after a few seconds. After a few hours one person with a high ping got kicked and he couldn't reconnect again. Each time he tried to reconnect we got a signature timeout error or something. I went back to the desktop and restarted ArmA 2 to check if I could get in but I too was getting kicked with a signature timout error even though my ping was only 16 at that moment.

I logged in remotely to restart the server and all was well again. Now I have added "{}" behind the recularcheck command and will see how this goes. I hope we'll all get a stable connection, cause so far, once you're connected to our server every goes supersmooth. I have a ping of 24 and my friends 16 and 30 and there's absolutely no noticable lag for us and I can set graphics to full with a 4000 viewrange so apart from the random kicks and reconnectionproblems I'm quite happy. I'll let you guys know if the regularcheck command has worked.

Are you keeping an eye on server performance (#monitor command)?

Thanks, yeah, I did that a few times the first day I ran the server but I forgot what it said. I'll try again tomorrow, maybe this evening.

If people are being kicked because of unsigned mods or server not having a key/correct key it will show in the chat.

maybe 0 size customfiles (disabled) thus w/e uses custom face or custom sound(s) will be ejected off server ...

fix for clients with detailed info (there was no info just kick) is on way in upcoming builds ...

Yesterday evening we had a very nice warfare match. Smooth performance and no problems with players connecting and disconnecting. I think everything works allright. Thanks for the help guys!

maybe 0 size customfiles (disabled) thus w/e uses custom face or custom sound(s) will be ejected off server ...

fix for clients with detailed info (there was no info just kick) is on way in upcoming builds ...

Is there a fix like this for peer to peer servers or is this just for dedicated servers? If so, where can I find this configuration?

As much as I like Warfare BE, the BI's version has evolved with latest patches and has seen many good corrective. It's really worth testing more than what we see now on servers.

Pretty good for example for setting up a faster, slightly lower scale Warfare game

Hey, wanted to tell you all how much of a succes our new server is. Yesterday we had lots of people joining the server. Seems all is fine after all. Thanks for the help!

But now I've got a new problem. When I uninstalled a beta patch and installed a new one, the arma2server.exe file got deleted. I did this on the server to show a friend of mine how to install beta files for ArmA 2. At first I didn't think it would be a big problem cause I've also got ArmA 2 on my home computer and can upload the exe to the server with remote login. But now I see I don't have the arma2server.exe on my home pc either. I always play with beta's. Seems these betapatches just delete the arma2server.exe when you uninstall them :)

Now, when I want to get the arma2server.exe file back I have to reinstall the 1.05 patch but it tells me it won't install cause the arma2server.exe file is missing. And since I can't find a downloadable arma2server.exe v1.05 anywhere on the internet, I'm now forced to uninstall the game, install it again and reinstall the 1.05 patch to get my precious server file back.

Noooooo!!!! Stupid betas! Did anyone else using the betas have this problem? I know I'll copy my arma2server.exe to a safe place as soon as I get it back again :-)

It would be nice if BIS made the file officially available for download on their site instead of just including it in the patch.

atm. it seems more files are 'gone' after use of the beta uninstaller ,

(eagle wing campaign, sometimes ah64/a10, server binary and who knows what else)

the only safe method of beta uninstall is just remove the content of \beta\ folder

Yeah, I've had the missing apache bug too. All is running good again now so I'm happy. Thanks for the tip, from now on I'll remove the beta folder instead of using the uninstall.