LurchiDerLurch

AC-130 Script for ARMA2 (0.3)

Lurch, before the next version, do you think you can program in a toggleable option for random weapon malfunctions? I was watching a video about the AC130 and how overworked it is. They wind up having to resort to the 25mm auto-cannon and manually loading the 105mm, because the 40mm Bofors went Tango-Uniform.

aE2KW0JwSjY

That would add some suspense and balance to the birdy. :)

I also think the dispersion on the 25mm and 40mm needs to be turned down a bit to make it more realistic. I can pound away at a squad of infantry with the 40mm Sabot Bofors and it takes FOREVER before I hit any of them.

Great news about FLIR!

Have you seen the game Operation Devastation? It's a whole Valusoft campaign of missions like your script. The physics and special effects aren't so hot, but the A.I. is a lot more responsive to the AC130's "love" than ArmA A.I. is.

Lurch, before the next version, do you think you can program in a toggleable option for random weapon malfunctions? I was watching a video about the AC130 and how overworked it is. They wind up having to resort to the 25mm auto-cannon and manually loading the 105mm, because the 40mm Bofors went Tango-Uniform.

That would add some suspense and balance to the birdy. :)

I also think the dispersion on the 25mm and 40mm needs to be turned down a bit to make it more realistic. I can pound away at a squad of infantry with the 40mm Sabot Bofors and it takes FOREVER before I hit any of them.

Funny idea :D But not in the next version. I want to release the flir as soon as possible ;) I'll keep this idea in mind (or on my task list ^^)

The weapons were always a problem... there aren't enough of them in Arma2...

But I will release two versions. One with script only and the other one is an Add On with my own weapons. If you have the Add On activated it will automatically use the new weapons. And if you have OAH activated it will use the new FLIR.

Lurchi

Great work, looks even more awesome with the OA FLIR system!

Here is another request... Would it be possible to have the tracers somehow optional since from RL videos I've seen the 105mm and 40mm do not have them.

Keep it up!

/KC

Amazing work Lurchi! :) I can't wait for the next release! :D Im so glad you're taking the time to make an addon version for us noobs! lol

I have one request, and its to enhance realism. Could you make a gib script? so when the units are hit they are deleted and replaced with flying gibs?

This looks almost real when the effect happens with flir activated!

Please consider it buddy! :)

Great work, looks even more awesome with the OA FLIR system!

Here is another request... Would it be possible to have the tracers somehow optional since from RL videos I've seen the 105mm and 40mm do not have them.

Keep it up!

/KC

it is already. Have a look at the LDL_init.sqf:

LDL_showParticles = true;

change it to false

I have one request, and its to enhance realism. Could you make a gib script? so when the units are hit they are deleted and replaced with flying gibs?

This looks almost real when the effect happens with flir activated!

Please consider it buddy! :)

:confused: soory but I don't know what you mean...

:confused: soory but I don't know what you mean...

lol ok buddy! watch this! this is Solus's (gib) script :)

Gib means human chunk that occurs obviously after explosion or high caliber round.

Vi_3xGxSkSY

3QkwbUQRjSw

however, this script is very basic, and doesnt always work :( the (gib) models should be replaced with human chunks, and then a script would initiate the flying chunks/gibs after human contact from high caliber round.

Edited by MrAgentGuy

So far the script doesn't even notice when you kill someone... and that would be necesarry for such a script

Awesome news about the FLIR :)

Looks good, can't wait to use it.

change it to false

Cool, will check it out!

/KC

So far the script doesn't even notice when you kill someone... and that would be necesarry for such a script

Indeed, but it is just a suggestion Lurchi! ;)

Hello,

Anybody interested in beta testing v.0.4?

I don't want to release it without testing it enough... :rolleyes:

If you want to test it you should be able to install an Addon and own Operation Arrowhead.

change it to false

OK, tried it out but it didn't changed much here, still seeing glowing fireballs with faint smoketrails when firing 105 mm and 40 mm, did I miss something?

I've never operated anything bigger than 7.62 mm but IRL I think the only thing you actually see is the impact, someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

Would love to but still waiting for my OA to arrive...

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

Will it work with arrowhead ? I mean in 0.4 ?
Hello,

I don't want to release it without testing it enough... :rolleyes:

If you want to test it you should be able to install an Addon and own Operation Arrowhead.

5char

My first post, wohoo!

OK, tried it out but it didn't changed much here, still seeing glowing fireballs with faint smoketrails when firing 105 mm and 40 mm, did I miss something?

I've never operated anything bigger than 7.62 mm but IRL I think the only thing you actually see is the impact, someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

Would love to but still waiting for my OA to arrive...

/KC

You can disable tracers by changing the

_showParticles = true to false in

Attach\ac130_att_setup.sqf AND

Rotate\ac130_rot_setup.sqf

I did it myself and it looks super awesome :D

BTW i have a question myself, is accuracy tied to the bullet or can you change it (like you can change the rate of fire and bullet speed) without a pbo?

My first post, wohoo!

BTW i have a question myself, is accuracy tied to the bullet or can you change it (like you can change the rate of fire and bullet speed) without a pbo?

I think you can handle this (you already managed the particles :p):

Go into the ac130_init.sqf and search for the "LDL_calculateBullet" function. In this code block you can change several things:

_spread = (random 100)/500;
_dirh = _dirh + sin(random 360)*_spread;
_dirv = _dirv + cos(random 360)*_spread;

this will cause the bullet to fly away inaccurate.

And while flying:

while {alive _shell} do
{
_x = sin(random 360)*0.2;
_y = sin(random 360)*0.2;
_z = sin(random 360)*0.2;
_shell setPos (_shell modelToWorld[_x,_y,_z]);
sleep 0.1;
_shell setVelocity _vel;
};

Last code is mainly for visual effects for the 25mm.

Lurchi

Thanks, but how does it work

How do you make it less accurate?

EDIT: I figured this one out. Increasing the "100" value increases the spread.

But does it affect all guns, since it's not in the individual gun types/sub groups?

EDIT 2: As for this one

sleep 0.1;

_x = sin(random 360)*0.2;

_y = sin(random 360)*0.2;

_z = sin(random 360)*0.2;

_shell setPos (_shell modelToWorld[_x,_y,_z]);

_shell setVelocity _vel;

I tried changing the values but i didn't see any difference at all.

Any help appreciated. :)

Edited by Naxon

Thanks, but how does it work

How do you make it less accurate?

EDIT: I figured this one out. Increasing the "100" value increases the spread.

But does it affect all guns, since it's not in the individual gun types/sub groups?

Every gun.

The gun is precise if spread is 0.

Every value above or below 0 makes the gun inaccurate.

A value of 1 or -1 is already very inaccurate.

Thats why I took a random number from 0 to 100 and divided it with 500.

Oh, that makes sense. :P

Anyways, I got it working just the way i wanted to. Thanks for the help! :)

My first post, wohoo!

Welcome to the forum Naxon and thanks for the tip! Will try it out...

/KC

GLARING ISSUE: If you have @LDL loaded, the add-action menu option doesn't seem to work in a script version of the addon.

Awesome job. No more boxes around vehicles, so that makes it more challenging. A.I. AC130 uses all ammo types, raining hell on the map.

From what I can see, anything else you might want to change or tweak is taken care of easily enough.

Fragmentation from the auto-cannon impacts results in random enough kills. Script version 40mm SABOT doesn't fragment, but you already pointed out how to change that, if I desired.

One thing I wonder about... Is the bird able to fire out the right side? The turret swing limits might need to be reined in a bit, requiring the C130 to reposition itself.

GLARING ISSUE: If you have @LDL loaded, the add-action menu option doesn't seem to work in a script version of the addon.

Awesome job. No more boxes around vehicles, so that makes it more challenging. A.I. AC130 uses all ammo types, raining hell on the map.

From what I can see, anything else you might want to change or tweak is taken care of easily enough.

Fragmentation from the auto-cannon impacts results in random enough kills. Script version 40mm SABOT doesn't fragment, but you already pointed out how to change that, if I desired.

One thing I wonder about... Is the bird able to fire out the right side? The turret swing limits might need to be reined in a bit, requiring the C130 to reposition itself.

If the script detects the Addon it doesn't start. The script only works without the Addon.

Addon -> place init or nothing works.

I don't think that the AC130 can fire out of the right side...

thanks for your feedback.

Maybe it was just my perspective making it look like it was firing out of the right side.

Can something be done to ignore the addon if the script version is detected? Lots players will have the addon loaded by a mod switch, but if they connect multiplayer to a mission with the script version I'm guessing the mission will break? Or will it still work for clients?

Also, is a light-source briefly generated just out of the left side of the bird, so that the bird lights up when it fires a weapon? Right now the bird itself is super-stealth (visually, anyway...lol) even when viewing it firing through NVG's.

And I still think that the firing rate should be adjusted to be a bit slower on the 40mm Bofors, because of the reloading time required for those 4 (5?) round stripper clips. That's if you can't add a pause between the loading of each clip.

For the A.I. bird, is there an "aiming time" calculated when switching targets, especially ones that are across the map from each other? (The more the turret has to swing, the longer the aiming time should be.)

Also, the A.I. bird seems to fire the auto-cannon until the first round arrives at target to kill it. Can it be trained to fire somewhat smaller bursts? (Although the longer bursts DO look and sound cooler for spectating players.)

Any chance that the ammo counts of the weapons can be assigned to a virtual AC130 entity that will be called upon the next time the script is accessed in the same mission (since it is doubtful two AC130's would be operating in the same area...or is it?)? Being able to refresh one's ammo supply each time you activate the script is a bit unbalancing. (This was an issue in previous versions, but I'm not sure if it is in this newest.)

Sorry for being such a nitpicker. It's just that I don't have the skills to make these improvements, even if I wanted to. All I am able to do is ASK for them. You've done a fine job, so far, and v0.4 is a canonical addition to this game franchise, even without further improvements.

WMY5Y45U5YI

DOMINATING the Map!

Edited by Uziyahu--IDF