Sign in to follow this  
rksl-rock

RKSL Merlin HC3 BETA Release

if there is a wheel on the front you can use one of the aircraft tugs

It is possible to do it the same way as the V-22. But you would lose a lot of what makes it a practical helicopter.

You see the V-22 is set up as a VTOL plane. Exactly the same way as the F-35 is. Which means you lose alot of the versatility of the flight model at low speeds and means you could not have turreted weapons. So sorry but no. its not something i'd seriously consider doing.

Maybe if you had the trust angled like it is in reality, instead of straight down. I know for fact that on just about all helicopters with wheels, the main rotor pitch is not perfectly level to help with forward flight and make taxing easy.

Assuming it isn't like that already. I haven't played Arma in a while, let alone use your awesome addon. :o

BRB. :D

http://digilander.libero.it/en_mezzi_militari/html/ami/eh101-02.jpg

^Shows what I'm talking about to an extent for those who are unaware.^

Maybe if you had the trust angled like it is in reality, instead of straight down. I know for fact that on just about all helicopters with wheels, the main rotor pitch is not perfectly level to help with forward flight and make taxing easy.

Assuming it isn't like that already. I haven't played Arma in a while, let alone use your awesome addon. :o

BRB. :D

http://digilander.libero.it/en_mezzi_militari/html/ami/eh101-02.jpg

^Shows what I'm talking about to an extent for those who are unaware.^

Quite simply it wont work. The game's engine prevents anything like this from happening on a helicopter class vehicle. There is no way to redirect thrust other than by changing the pitch of the the aircraft.

Edited by RKSL-Rock

Quite simply it wont work. The game's engine prevents anything like this from happening on a helicopter class vehicle. There is no way to redirect thrust other than by changing the pitch of the the aircraft.

I was talking about how the blades are always lower in the front than in the back. You can see the angle of the main rotor in this video. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think this angle changes. And I know your helicopters have it, and done properly as far as I can tell.

Is it possible to have free wheels, like on a plane, on a helicopter? This appears to be the heart of the issue with taxing, the fact that the wheels act like skids and don't allow for any ground movement.

I was talking about how the blades are always lower in the front than in the back. You can see the angle of the main rotor in this video. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think this angle changes. And I know your helicopters have it, and done properly as far as I can tell.

I know exactly what you meant. Its just that the game engine wont allow us to do anything like this. ArmA2 helicopters do not support rolling wheels. Slide them along the ground and they start to take damage. Only plane class vehicles can do this.

As for the rotor pitch, well it does actually move. Both in the real world and on the model but in AmrA2 its purely cosmetic. Changing the blade pitch angle will do nothing in game.

Is it possible to have free wheels, like on a plane, on a helicopter? This appears to be the heart of the issue with taxing, the fact that the wheels act like skids and don't allow for any ground movement.

As I said before, sadly its not. In arma2 the game engine limits helicopters to lifting vertically, they cannot taxi. No amount of wheel animations will change the game engine's physics. Its frustrating but its just a limitation that we have to live with until with BIS changes the current engine's limits, or we get a new engine. :(

Any updates? Been enjoying it so far, just need that manual door

Maybe next week im just a bit tied up with work atm.

ye i also heard nothing about the lynx/puma that was supposed to release 2 weeks ago?

anyway nice aircraft

ye i also heard nothing about the lynx/puma that was supposed to release 2 weeks ago?

anyway nice aircraft

Yup that was the intention, things change though. They'll be released when they are ready to be released.

anyway nice aircraft

I love it. Smack us down and then finish with a compliment... :rolleyes:

Lots of Real life Work = very little free time = very little modding = no release

And the little time i've had has been devoted to fixing issues we 've found in testing. Sadly some of those issues i cant fix myself. UNN has had to step in and he's been worse off for time than me. Sorry but you just have to wait.

.... Oh and go and poke Sarmat for screwing us over by releasing hacked & botched RKSL Pbos. I wasted 2 days answering people's cries for help because they broke the community rules and our addons.

Now I know this is a very ancient thread, and tbh I don't even know if Rock is still around. I'm also more than aware that this is likely to be an issue caused by a change in the CBA structure rather than the RKSL addons, but as an FYI, the recent update to CBA broke something in the RKSL airforce

Script Extended_EventHandlers\Init.sqf not found

(ACE 502, CBA 163)

Any idea's/pointers as to where I should be looking to resolve this would be much appreciated.

Meanwhile I'll post an report on the ACE/CBA bug tracker as well.

much love,

Edit - and already fixed by the wonderful Sickboy - added backward compatibility to CBA

Edited by friznit2

Now I know this is a very ancient thread, and tbh I don't even know if Rock is still around. I'm also more than aware that this is likely to be an issue caused by a change in the CBA structure rather than the RKSL addons, but as an FYI, the recent update to CBA broke something in the RKSL airforce

Script Extended_EventHandlers\Init.sqf not found

(ACE 502, CBA 163)

Any idea's/pointers as to where I should be looking to resolve this would be much appreciated.

Meanwhile I'll post an report on the ACE/CBA bug tracker as well.

much love,

Edit - and already fixed by the wonderful Sickboy - added backward compatibility to CBA

This 'page' will be of relevance to the issue

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=103871&page=35

RKSL addons don't require CBA, so I don't know why there would be an issue on Rock/UNNs' side.

Also, Rock is still around, he's making a Tornado, among a plethora of other things. ;)

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=2014484&postcount=1437

Correct but to ensure compatibility all RKSL addons will use XEH if available. But it definately isnt a requirment.

But if you read the CBA thread you'll see that Sickboy has identifed the flaw in CBA and its now fixed. Job done.:)

This is a really nice mod would be nice to see some of those future plans put into the mod.

It'll get updated when Rock re-does his website after he finishes the Tornado. If I remember correctly, he has an update ready for this and his Lynx and Puma.

Just came across this mod, a little late maybe, it’s a fantastic mod RKSL, thank you for your great work..

This is a really nice mod would be nice to see some of those future plans put into the mod.

It will never be put into a MOD ie ACE.

Only stand alone.

It will never be put into a MOD ie ACE.

Only stand alone.

He was talking about the list of features for the Merlin that Rock/UNN were developing.

Yer was talking about the things like manual toggle for landing gear and doors plus the other variants of the heli.

Yer was talking about the things like manual toggle for landing gear and doors plus the other variants of the heli.

It already has manual gear. ;)

Doors not so much though.

No, it will never be updated. ;) It will be when he has time. He's explained that many times before.

Pretty much every thing on that list is still live.

Planned or not yet implemented Features:

• Auto/Manual Doors toggle
  • Switchable Copilot Position* - Allows the copilot to take control of the aircraft and vice versa.
  • 3 Versions
    • Unarmed (U) - holds 34 cargo
    • Gun (G) - 3x GPMG - One either side and one on the Ramp with 30 cargo slots*
    • Cargo © - 2x GPMG - One either side with space in the back for cargo.*

[*]Fire Extinguishers - dependant on an undeveloped damage monitor script system*

The Auto doors was easy. Its the same system/concept as the manual gear.

Switchable co-pilot system kinda stalled. Its possible, just a script and some anims really but i got distracted with other things and well honestly i forgot about it :o Its not hard to do, but it would need MP testing.

The armed versions are up and running. I think there was some issues with turrets though. I need to check in game to be sure.

Fire extinguishers - now this is a bit of an awkward one. I did it, fully working but to be honest it really wasn't that great. It did give you a short 2nd chance if you were hit in the engines. But honestly its really not much use in practical terms. If you took damage enough to cause a "fire" the rest of the aircraft was shagged and you die anyway. In the end it only visible result was to clog the action menu up unnecessarily. So not really worth the effort or script overhead. It wont be in the next release.

And finally: Upgrades...

• Well I've reworked the textures and RVMATS. Sat next to the BAF Merlin mine is far too shiny and honestly looks a tad naff.
  • Cargo positions now have some better custom anims.
  • Cockpit displays have been extensively reworked. in the same way as the Typhoon 1.4+ (MFD commands)
  • Flight model has been tweaked again for better AI performance.
  • Some new sounds
  • New crashed model
  • Updated damage model

I think that's about it... for now.

I... Uh... We could MP test it for you... If you want that is... :D

We've always wanted something with a working Co-pilot. Well, I have at least. :p