Sign in to follow this  
-DirTyDeeDs--Ziggy-

live stream of Gulf oil leak

The Clean Water Act limits liability to $25,000 a day. So in this case, it's not the amount of barrels of oil that spill out that is relavent but the length of time the spill is ongoing.

Keep in mind, the penalty you describe is only for the discharge. If I am not mistaken, other penalties can be applied

I sought to challenge your statement, but after reading the law carefully, I cant do so with confidence.

I would think the willful neglect subsection would override that daily liability, but I cant say for sure.

http://www.waterboards.ca.gov/laws_regulations/docs/fedwaterpollutioncontrolact.pdf

Edited by [DirTyDeeDs]-Ziggy-

That's because they know everyone and their mother will post on their page saying "BP Sucks!!" and various other things and BP wants to keep their squeaky clean image. What a bunch of douche bags.

Don't you think this was a stunt pulled by them to raise prices but got out of their hands? Well... maybe it was really just an accident.

Hold BP stock to 0.

At this point I'm not sure if they are stalling the real working solutions to this very problem just to get oil over $200 in the near future, which equates to over $8 a gallon in the US.

I don't believe in coincidences with human beings involved, more so - sociopaths that have Billions to gain if they cut every single corner and slam every regulation down the MMS throats:

1. Blow-out Preventer lost it's annular (a seal around the locks) 2 weeks prior to the semi-submersible Deepwater Horizon went up in flames due to a methane leak that went all the way to surface - carry on.

2. One of TWO of the power units on the BOP that are responsible for shutting down the valves in a leak scenario was out of order weeks before April 20, 2010 - carry on.

3. Pumping not enough dense mud (organic or synthetic oil-based mixtures that precedes cement in an task of literally cementing the pipe/well, mud is denser than oil and thus if you use a proper type it will go down all the way to the bottom and set, after that the cement job comes in) to overcome all the pressure shooting it out back through the BOP - carry on.

4. Bullshit estimates on BBL/D (barrels/day), which initially were stated by BP as being 5,000 barrels of crude oil, excluding gas, per day - carry on.

5. Upon signing contract with the MMS for Deepwater well development, BP stated in print, if there would be a leak to occur the worst estimates are 162,000 barrels per day. 162k per day - carry on.

The above are but a few crucial points that have taken place in the past 3 months.

I wish Floridians and the other southerns a happy, sunny Summer, for it will be leaking for at least till August and then it will be extended through the Winter, and.. you get the idea. I'm saying the last sentence with cynicism, of course, because I'm appalled to the point of losing faith in some pockets of humanity and their ability to voice and act upon these concerns.

Take care

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin

Don't you think this was a stunt pulled by them to raise prices but got out of their hands? Well... maybe it was really just an accident.

I feel this about the same as I feel that 9/11 was done by George Bush and Kennedy's was assasinated by aliens.

-Ziggy-;1658625']no dividend next quarter Baff ;)

Oh, those poor pensioners. Buy them a flight to Louisiana, and soon to be - Florida. And let them present their case of granny losing her life-time savings because those selfish Americans want to torpedo BP and everyone that is affiliated. Right.

On one hand I posted that informative rant, on the other - I'm happy this thing happened in GOM. People might start asking the right questions.

-Ziggy-;1658625']no dividend next quarter Baff ;)

No dividend this year matey.

While I of course have every sympathy for granny in Lousiana losing her income, I have the same amount of sympathy for all the other grannies around the world who have also lost theirs from this disaster. I don't think a granny living in Louisiana is any more deserving of a pension than grannies living elsewhere. One granny is much the same as another in my eyes.

It should not be lost on you that Louisiana grannies held BP stock too and that the single biggest financial losses being faced by the people of Louisiana is not from the damage to their enviroment, fisheries and tourism caused by the oil spill, it is by the moratorium on drilling. Their biggest industry.

Killing the goose that lays the golden eggs doesn't help anything.

Edited by Baff1

It should not be lost on you that Louisiana grannies held BP stock too and that the single biggest financial losses being faced by the people of Louisiana is not from the damage to their enviroment, fisheries and tourism caused by the oil spill, it is by the moratorium on drilling. Their biggest industry.

moratorium that is a kneejerk response to a tragedy that BP caused.

the goose and her mate are oil soaked and no more eggs are being laid.

While I of course have every sympathy for granny in Lousiana losing her income, I have the same amount of sympathy for all the other grannies around the world who have also lost theirs from this disaster. I don't think a granny living in Louisiana is any more deserving of a pension than grannies living elsewhere. One granny is much the same as another in my eyes.

That may be be true "matey", but if you think that English grannies have more say, or even the same amount of say, as those from the Gulf of Mexico area, your out of your frakkin mind. I'm from the south. I was born in Texas, and I've lived most of my life in southern Alabama, roughly 10-20 miles from the gulf. ALL of the beaches that I went to as a kid are now covered in oil, and barrier islands like Dauphin Island (Used to have some beautiful beaches) have been completely closed off to non-residents, their beaches are soaked in oil, and they are building huge sand berms around the island, or trying to.

So in my opinion, the english grannies need to put their complaining/bitching on hold for a while, because the GoM grannies have the floor for the next year, atleast.

I have relatives in North Carolina, and apparently the oil will be heading their way soon. I have been attempting to restrain myself from typing things that may get me banned, so I will end with this.

You can think whatever you want about BP, "mate", but if that Tropical Storm/Hurricane hits the gulf, you'll most likely never see another cent from BP for a decade. I don't want to see crap like that, but if the entire southern coastal region gets covered in fucking oil, not only will that happen, but you can be sure that people will start torching BP Gas Stations (Which is wrong, considering they are privately owned, they just use BP's gas and signs) and any type of BP structure they can get to.

If the entire coast of the UK was covered in oil because of an American oil company's screw up I'd think you'd be singing a different tune...

Baff1, frankly, you don't give a fuck about the Gulf of Mexico, so why don't you just run along and dream of Rise 'o B'itain, while we suffocate your little Island with EU legislation at every possible turn.

I long for the day the oil reaches the East coast and then, into the Sunrise it shall sail, yarr!

That may be be true "matey", but if you think that English grannies have more say, or even the same amount of say, as those from the Gulf of Mexico area, your out of your frakkin mind..

They have more say with me.

If push comes to shove we can just split BP America off from the rest of BP and leave you to it. The Chinese have made an offer for that part of the business. And I have plenty more cash all ready for my next little BP investment.

---------- Post added at 10:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 PM ----------

If the entire coast of the UK was covered in oil because of an American oil company's screw up I'd think you'd be singing a different tune...

Are you suggesting it hasn't been in the past?

I suggest you consult your history books and you will find out that we did not sing a different tune.

---------- Post added at 10:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 PM ----------

Baff1, frankly, you don't give a fuck about the Gulf of Mexico, so why don't you just run along and dream of Rise 'o B'itain, while we suffocate your little Island with EU legislation at every possible turn.

I long for the day the oil reaches the East coast and then, into the Sunrise it shall sail, yarr!

Do as you will.

I'm very pleased and proud of BP's response to this crisis.

No company in the history of mankind has taken more responsability.

But if American's wish to destroy it, let them. There are plenty more oil fields in the sea.

BP's investment and expertise is highly sought after and it's clear financial undertaking to make good on the damages it has done, makes any other country wishing to have their offshore oil reserves exploited by them a seriously less risky endeavour than any of the alternatives.

While it is both obvious and completely understandable that this disaster has done BP no favours in the U.S., it's response to it has done them massive good worldwide.

Edited by Baff1

Are you suggesting it hasn't been in the past?

I suggest you consult your history books and you will find out that we did not sing a different tune.

You completely missed my entire point. What I was saying is it's easy for you to sit back and spout off at the mouth when your oceans aren't black with oil.
I'm very pleased and proud of BP's response to this crisis.

No company in the history of mankind has taken more responsability.

I surely hope you're joking, because if you aren't then you're an idiot. First they say how they'll reimburse people who's livelihoods have been affected by BP's massive fuck up and then when they find out how many of them they are they turn Indian giver and say no.

The CEO himself said something to effect of "I want my life back." I'm sure all those shrimpers and fishermen want their lives back. I'm sure the fish, birds, coral, everything down to the single cell critters living in the Gulf of Mexico want their lives back.

BP can burn in hell for all I care. They haven't done jack shit except try to play the PR game and make themselves look good and fail epically.

You completely missed my entire point. What I was saying is it's easy for you to sit back and spout off at the mouth when your oceans aren't black with oil.

I surely hope you're joking, because if you aren't then you're an idiot. First they say how they'll reimburse people who's livelihoods have been affected by BP's massive fuck up and then when they find out how many of them they are they turn Indian giver and say no. .

I don't think you understand mate. They've already done more than any other company in the history of mankind.

Not all they've done so far plus what you want them to do...already.

So if that's you only concern you've already won.

That I'm aware they haven't said no to anyone, nor are they even in a position to do so, with the funds being allocated by a third party.

I expect the first person to say "no" will be whatever Chinese investor takes over the liabilty when they buy out BP America.

Will they be able to keep paying whoever you think they should be paying for as long as you think they should. Hopefully not. It should not be lost on you that American has attempted to impose cap limitations to these liabilites so that companies like Exxon did not go down the pan.

Cap limitations which BP has already voluntarily way surpassed with it's payments I might add.

If you want those payment from BP to continue, then BP needs to make a lot of money. And need to know it is worth it's time. That it is able to operate in the U.S. profitably.

If there is just a load of people out to bleed it to death, then it can just hand over it's U.S. assets to the government, or sell them complete with their liabilities and leave. If this is just a question of PR, that is. BP after all will not recover it's PR with you. So why bother flogging a dead horse? If everyone in America boycotts it's petrol pumps, it clearly can't afford to invest more in America at all.

I do agree that has a moral obligation to take responsability for this spill. I also think the government does too. It is a pity the government has no intention whatsover of recognising it's liability.

They took the money in the good times. Know what I mean?

It is easier to hold a publicly operated company to account than a democratically elected government, has always been my belief. I know who I trust more.

I don't know if I missed your point, or perhaps it was one I wasn't intrested in, or parhaps I don't think it is one you are qualified to make.

I hope by your condescending tone that you actually live on a part of the coast that is black with oil. That you haven't just seen it on TV and got all self righteous.

How has this spill affected you personally?

For me, the effect is financial. That's the part I am primarily intrested in aside from the spotlight shining on all the technological advances which is scientifically fascinating for me.

While I understand that for those such as yourself BP can never win a PR campaign. Frankly for many people like you they couldn't even without any spill. They are winning it amongst all the other countries looking for oil exploitation partners. And that's the most important PR campaign I care about.

Making oil drenched pelicans love BP CEO's or Americans think of foreigners as equals is a lost cause already. They should be concentrating on the battles they can win. It isn't "good PR" those victims on the coast need. It's help.

BP has great PR. You are just not it's most important target.

Edited by Baff1

Not wanting to get involved in a flame war, here's something from the latest Private Eye:

NUMBER CRUNCHING:

11 People killed in accident on oil rig leased by British company BP, resulting in four presidential visits, a $1.6bn clean-up and the establishment of a $20bn compensation fund in two months

15,000+ People killed in accident at Bhopal plant owned by American company Union Carbide, resulting in 0 presidential visits, no clean-up and $470m compensation in 25 years.

a $1.6bn clean-up and the establishment of a $20bn compensation fund in two months

The clean up and compensation is only happening because of the bad press BP is getting over compensations and because the US govt is pretty much forcing them to pay for the clean up.

Incorrect.

They volunteered it and had already spent 1.5 billion on it (and compensation) before they even spoke to Obama.

It has been their stated policy to meet all costs from the outset, and no company in history has ever gone so far to make it so let alone so fast.

Then they met Obama's foot on their throat "forcing" them. Not the otherway round.

What Obama has secured is a 20 billion fund @ 1.5 billion a year to be held by someone other than themselves to be sure they come up with what they have volunteered and to be sure the company does not drag it's feet paying up.

Not really a difficult thing for them to agree to given they were already doing this on a unprecedented level.

The clean up was always going to happen. It didn;t take presidential force. ROFLLAMO.

It should not be lost on you that BP and all the other big oil companies have pooled insurance against disaster of this nature. They all keep a few cleanup ships ready on the off-chance, and if one has a disaster they all rock up and muck in. BP spends a lot of money every year to be prepared for clean up operations as do all the others. They don't do this because they don't intend to clean anything up after an accident.

Edited by Baff1

An interesting vid from a guy who flew over the site.