Sign in to follow this  
WillaCHilla

New Beta Build 70709 is up!

I think BIS should to improve the AI management by the CPU and .pbo loading too, (someone said "RAMDisk"?) as those are two of the biggest causes of bad performance for me

The problem is not the low FPS[compared to other FPS Games].

Its the sooo annoying textures popping up everywhere. Im allways trying to set the settings lower, but they pop up everytime. im ok with 25 steady FPS, but this is just killing the game. BIS, please look into this, its the atmo-killer NR.1 in ArmaII.

Its the sooo annoying textures popping up everywhere. Im allways trying to set the settings lower, but they pop up everytime. im ok with 25 steady FPS, but this is just killing the game. BIS, please look into this, its the atmo-killer NR.1 in ArmaII.

I think until (if?) the game can address more than ~2 GB of RAM, texture LOD loading will always be an issue, unfortunately.

Trying to understand something. Is the -exthread command for the number of cores the game will use, or the number of threads the game uses? Installing the new beta patch as I type.

Trying to understand something. Is the -exthread command for the number of cores the game will use, or the number of threads the game uses? Installing the new beta patch as I type.

If i understand it correctly: none of both.

It changes what's get threaded i think, texture loading, file acces... of course this may change the total number of threads, but probably not in the way you're thinking.

For the number of cores you can use -cpucount=4 for 4 cores...

Have you tried using -exthreads=3?

With -exThreads=0 and -exThreads=3 the fps are about same.

With -exThreads=1 the "FPS-STAT FPS" and "FPSmm" are lower.

Benchmark 1 - there is no difference

Benchmark 2 - -exThreads=0 gives the highest result and -exThreads=3 gives the lowest.

Obeserved that the AI is still shooting on destroyed/burning vehicles, AI if shoot dead do need more time fall down, sometimes a dead body is flickering/"reincarnating" for a second, AI chatting is a bit delayed.

It looks like the AI have some more hiccups with this beta build.

With -exThreads=0 and -exThreads=3 the fps are about same.

With -exThreads=1 the "FPS-STAT FPS" and "FPSmm" are lower.

Benchmark 1 - there is no difference

Benchmark 2 - -exThreads=0 gives the highest result and -exThreads=3 gives the lowest.

Obeserved that the AI is still shooting on destroyed/burning vehicles, AI if shoot dead do need more time fall down, sometimes a dead body is flickering/"reincarnating" for a second, AI chatting is a bit delayed.

It looks like the AI have some more hiccups with this beta build.

Yeah, I have the same things with exThreads=0 and 3 on the 2nd benchmark...I get 9 with 3 and 11 with 0?

I've always gotten better performance with exThreads=0, ever since the parameter was applicable, so your results aren't surprising to me.

I haven't noticed any performance difference what-so-ever using any of the exThread parameters.

I haven't noticed any performance difference what-so-ever using any of the exThread parameters.

For me it's mostly been a difference in stutter/minimum framerate, and sometimes texture LOD swapping. In this regard, exThreads=0 has been the best overall.

What are you all complaining about cloud-wise? Maybe I'm missing something, but this is the best clouds have ever looked to me (all graphic settings maxed out).

What are you all complaining about cloud-wise? Maybe I'm missing something, but this is the best clouds have ever looked to me (all graphic settings maxed out).

Agreed. I like how the clouds look now. :)

As for performance, -exThreads=3 is still the best for me with the latest beta. Not noticing any significant changes in fps, but it feels much smoother.

Regarding the Fraps issue, I recorded over an hour of footage with beta 70709 and Fraps 3.2.2 on Sunday and experienced no problems at all. There must be some special set of circumstances that is causing the huge framerate drop for some people. Some things you should have a look at:

- Is the problem remedied (partially or completely) if you reduce the game resolution before recording?

- Try out different settings in Fraps, for example recording at half-size instead of full, reducing the recording FPS to 30 or 25, locking or unlocking the framerate during recording etc.

- Are your fraps recordings being saved to the same hard drive that Arma2 is installed on? If so, try setting the output destination to a different hard drive (if you have one).

Agreed. I like how the clouds look now. :)

As for performance, -exThreads=3 is still the best for me with the latest beta. Not noticing any significant changes in fps, but it feels much smoother.

Regarding the Fraps issue, I recorded over an hour of footage with beta 70709 and Fraps 3.2.2 on Sunday and experienced no problems at all. There must be some special set of circumstances that is causing the huge framerate drop for some people. Some things you should have a look at:

- Is the problem remedied (partially or completely) if you reduce the game resolution before recording?

- Try out different settings in Fraps, for example recording at half-size instead of full, reducing the recording FPS to 30 or 25, locking or unlocking the framerate during recording etc.

- Are your fraps recordings being saved to the same hard drive that Arma2 is installed on? If so, try setting the output destination to a different hard drive (if you have one).

I have tried many different settings. the only thing that helps is using one of the older Beta or no Beta at all.

But the look of your signature you are using a qaudcore.... is that right.

because no one whit more than 2 core have not run into this problem yet.

This has serious stutters when using SP scenarios, massive pauses etc. When using it without it runs fine.

I've done more extensive testing, and wanted to reiterate what a drastic improvement the cloud rendering is. No more blocky single layer pixels, instead beautiful puffy clouds and a moving cloud base that looks real.

If anyone is not seeing better looking clouds I wonder if it's because we have different video cards. NVidia GeForce 480 driver v197.75 - all settings maxed out, view distance 5000.

The game still often crashes for me while trying to save with an out of memory error message. Performance is very nice though.

Now tested while playing The Chernarus Run (nice mission!) which is a bigger mission which are good candidates for saving to go wrong with.

So, good performance, bad (but slowly getting better) stability.

After even more testing my CTD's have been significantly reduced!

Display driver crashes are now almost extinct and LOD loading seems increadibly faster on my machine. Flying is still pretty good but my rig doesn't seem to be able to handle flying lower at speeds > 600.

After even more testing my CTD's have been significantly reduced!

Display driver crashes are now almost extinct and LOD loading seems increadibly faster on my machine. Flying is still pretty good but my rig doesn't seem to be able to handle flying lower at speeds > 600.

What are your specs/settings? Just for reference.

Please BIS look at your AI and improve them eg

+ using the right ammunition for different targets eg no more wasting AT ammo on a single soldier

+ stop shooting them on destroyed/burning vehicles

+ increase the altitude or the crash detection for AI flying helicopters/planes

+ using somekind of internal (customisable?) threat-list to attack highest threats first eg AI pilots attack planes/helicopters and AntiAircraft before other targets/objects

+ add a stricter command so they do follow they teamleader regardless how the situation is

+ fix the AI switching rifle-to-launcher-to-rifle-to-launcher bug (ArmA bug)

+ fix the AI handgun/pistol bug: they are not switching back to their rifles if they have (used) their handgun/pistol (OFP bug)

+ add the command "use weapon/secondary weapon" so players dont have to wait too long on AI's mood

+ add a command so the AI can use open terrain or CQB "tactics".

+ better and clear contact reports

+ driving in convoy (5-15 different vehicles), staying on roads using speed and smoke to their advantage too

Please BIS look at your AI and improve them eg

+ using the right ammunition for different targets eg no more wasting AT ammo on a single soldier

+ stop shooting them on destroyed/burning vehicles

+ increase the altitude or the crash detection for AI flying helicopters/planes

+ using somekind of internal (customisable?) threat-list to attack highest threats first eg AI pilots attack planes/helicopters and AntiAircraft before other targets/objects

+ add a stricter command so they do follow they teamleader regardless how the situation is

+ fix the AI switching rifle-to-launcher-to-rifle-to-launcher bug (ArmA bug)

+ fix the AI handgun/pistol bug: they are not switching back to their rifles if they have (used) their handgun/pistol (OFP bug)

+ add the command "use weapon/secondary weapon" so players dont have to wait too long on AI's mood

+ add a command so the AI can use open terrain or CQB "tactics".

+ better and clear contact reports

+ driving in convoy (5-15 different vehicles), staying on roads using speed and smoke to their advantage too

Agree.

The highlighted one could be problematic due to ACE, hell even humans have problems seeing if a vehicle is detroyed/disabled :p

Fine, but we're talking here about BIS beta builds - not ACE's or any other addon/mod beta builds. And no the AI dont "see" like human players do they're more dealing with infos. Wild guess is that during combat the AI gunner dont get the vehicle status and keeps on shooting at it till the info is shared. Perhaps one of the issues with optimsing/tweaking A2?

I've not seen the AI engage burning or destroyed vehicles for long periods of time. What I have seen is AI engage vehicles despite their entire crew being dead. What BIS should do is have a check to see if the vehicle has a crew and if said crew is either alive or dead. If dead, they should stop engaging it. Right now they only seem to recognize it being non-operational if it's completely destroyed. Try taking an AI squad and put them against an enemy static MG and you'll see that despite the gunner being dead, the AI still shoot at the MG until it is deemed destroyed.

There should be also a working check if the vehicles/static weapon is abandoned by its crew/empty or not. Only a simple crew = alive or dead check doesnt help much. Perhaps its there but for some reasons delayed?

The ai has an internal "attack most dangerous targets above others" since

OFP-and it works!

Just another proof that you just complain with no base.