Sign in to follow this  
WillaCHilla

New Beta Build 70709 is up!

Nvm I fixed it, it was a problem with my problem solving :D

Edited by Sniper Pilot

If it's something on our end it's very odd how it only appeared after using one of the latest betas, and how it disappears when going back to previous ones, what with the substantial changes to the engine...

you got it right on. :rthumb:

I dont excpect them to fix it right away, just look in to it. Because if you cant use FRAPS on OA there will be some Drama about it. And since it looks like it has something to do whit the new engine optimation, they might take a look in to it.

If it's something on our end it's very odd how it only appeared after using one of the latest betas, and how it disappears when going back to previous ones, what with the substantial changes to the engine...

I know, weird huh?

FRAPS works just fine here..

Seems to be working for some and not others. There must be something in common with our setups to make it not work...

My specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00GHz

nVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 1GB

2GB DDR2 RAM

Heyho,

I have some problems hosting a Dedicated server with the new beta. Once the Server is loading a mission - he will stay at that point and do nothing else anymore (the system runs continuosly without any problem) - now if I close the Server - I have to kill the process.

Do you guys noticed that problem too?

There must be something in common with our setups to make it not work...

For comparison, mine are:

Win7 Ultimate 64bit

Q6600 @3.2Ghz

4Gb RAM

ATI 4890 1Gb (OC'd)

Fraps works fine my end.

Specs:

WinXP Pro 32Bit

i7 Core 920

8GB Ram(i know)

GTX 285

I tried with the -exThreads=0, -exThreads=1 and the -exThreads=3 parameter and they all worked fine.

Tested FRAPS as well to see how it worked and i didnt have any problems.

Win7 64bit

i7 core 930

6GB Ram

GTX 275

Tested all exThread params.

I dont know to much about procecor.

But it seem to me that those who have more than 2 dont have any problems. ???

Can it bee some thing like that. ????

The new beta (709) without any parameters (just -nosplash -mod=beta) is fine. I tried all the -exthreads= (0, 1, and 3) and works best (if even better at all) without the parameter. No noticeable difference from the last beta, which ran just fine for me also.

Also, FRAPS works perfectly for me too with this and all the betas so far.

I dont know to much about procecor.

But it seem to me that those who have more than 2 dont have any problems. ???

Can it bee some thing like that. ????

what settings do you have fraps on?

Full Screen/Half Screen?

FPS Setting?

I tend to do a half-screen at 25-30fps

works great and doesn't look choppy when you watch the playback, plus the file size is much smaller.

I agree with Mosh -exThreads=3 used to iron out delayed textures for me, and it dont seem to work in later patches - no exThreads parameter seems to be fine now.

Edited by [HUD]Dorph

Working great for me, no massive leap in FPS but things just seem to run a helluva lot smoother.

i7 920

gtx 285

6gb ddr3

win7 64

what settings do you have fraps on?

Full Screen/Half Screen?

FPS Setting?

I tend to do a half-screen at 25-30fps

works great and doesn't look choppy when you watch the playback, plus the file size is much smaller.

No matter what settings I ruyn FRAPS on it is the same.... all i can see in the moment is that all of you that dont have any problems is usesing more that 2 core.

Honestly enough of the Fraps crap, this is about the game, not some third party fps counter bullshit.

Get the game working 100% and if some third party program has an issue with it, well then its tough titty, you need to have a word with the 3rd party to get them to update their product.

Do the people in this thread want the BI devs to undo some of the optimized work they have done, just so somebody can use somebody elses program ?

:confused:

For those of your with FRAPS problems, use a version that does not have the 30 second cache. I'd suggest trying versions 3.1.2, then 3.1.1, then 3.1.0 I've got a monster rig and though I do not have the exact issue like you're mentioning, I have seen a drop in performance with same game version vs. differing FRAP revisions. Remember BI doens't have an obligation to testing anything but ArmA itself... but the Arma videos sure help sell the game.

Also... FRAPS isn't perfect. The developer often has to make specific changes to make it work properly with some games (ex. STALKER).

For those of your with FRAPS problems, use a version that does not have the 30 second cache. I'd suggest trying versions 3.1.2, then 3.1.1, then 3.1.0 I've got a monster rig and though I do not have the exact issue like you're mentioning, I have seen a drop in performance with same game version vs. differing FRAP revisions. Remember BI doens't have an obligation to testing anything but ArmA itself... but the Arma videos sure help sell the game.

Also... FRAPS isn't perfect. The developer often has to make specific changes to make it work properly with some games (ex. STALKER).

I'm yet to try gamerOSD from ASUS (not sure if it'll work on this comp as it's not an ASUS Board) but that program was generally very reliable (imo).

I don't like Fraps. It is an ugly name + it is commercial (and expensive for what it offers). If you are not lazy try out VirtualDub - a free simplistic video editor with an option of screen capture. Benefits and drawbacks of screen capture programs (such as vdub) versus directx hook-ups (such as fraps):

http://www.genadmission.com/vdubguide.html

Since this is already offtopic, a simple check list for vdub is under spoiler.

To avoid flickering when in arma 2 editor, run the game in windowed mode (alt+enter). Don't worry, it will only record the game if you set it correctly. Also: I was not able to get the capture hotkey to work from inside the game, so windowed mode is recommended for easier switching between programs.

You do not have to install vdub, just unpack the files and it is ready for use.

Open it up and go to File->Capture AVI... The window will switch to capture mode.

File->Set capture file

File->Allocate disk space

Device->0 Screen capture

Video->Source... (active top level window, untick remove unchanged frames)

Video->Compression [select an encoder codec (I use ffdshow) and click Configure to configure the quality vs. speed - usually a slider. Less quality also means smaller file size]

Video->Set custom format... (pick any size that the encoder accepts, use 32-bit ARGB)

Audio->Audio input->Stereo Mix (It might not neccessarily be named stereo mix. Pick the equivalent. Whatever the option is, it is digitally listening to your soundcard. Also remember to set the volume on this output (in the control panel) to very low - anything else will result in decibel breach and therefore a horrible crackling sound in the final product.)

Audio->Compression.... (I chose CCIT - Standard A)

Capture->Settings (set framerate)

Capture->Prefferences->Hotkeys

Capture->Timing.... (I unticked Drop frames... and Insert null frames...)

Capture->Disk I/O (Set your buffer size, try not to use the whole disk buffer. Also untick Disable windows write buffering.)

Capture->Capture drives...

You can then save these settings as default at Device->Device settings->Save current...

You're done.

Edited by sprayer_faust

Honestly enough of the Fraps crap, this is about the game, not some third party fps counter bullshit.

Get the game working 100% and if some third party program has an issue with it, well then its tough titty, you need to have a word with the 3rd party to get them to update their product.

Do the people in this thread want the BI devs to undo some of the optimized work they have done, just so somebody can use somebody elses program ?

+1, couldn't say it better myself

+1, couldn't say it better myself

Wow, don't be such asses. We're trying to figure out what exactly is different about our systems so that we can determine why the more recent betas cause Fraps to screw up for us. I have the game working 100%, and I have Fraps working 100%, but combining the two causes issues. It can't be Fraps' fault either, as it is so obviously a change in the beta patches that is causing this (if you took the time to read what we're on about, which I doubt you did).

Tell me smart guys - how does one record footage of the game then? I love making movies or gameplay clips using Arma 2, and will especially want to do it when OA comes out, but if these issues persist, I won't be able to. Less PR from the community, therefore. I'm not the only one having these issues either, so that means more than just us will be complaining about this Fraps issue, just like with "that other game".

No, BIS shouldn't have to undo the optimizations, no one said that. But they can at least tell us why Fraps won't work on some systems, be it due to not having more than 2 cores in your processor or what-have-you. That way we can try to work our way around it.

Just because you're not interested in using Fraps for the game, doesn't mean others aren't. There's a whole machinima-making part of this community and if Fraps stops working for them then we have to resort to using lower-quality, worse programs which still might not work. So don't be such jerks to us, trolls. Kthx.

This is a Beta testing thread, that means that everything this beta F*** up has to be reportet, Then BIS can see if it something they want to deal whit or not. but it still has to be mention. All the vids there are on youtube has its part of selling this game.

If it was Teamspeak that was F*** up by this Beta then you wopuld proberbly be sad about that to....

and surly it is better to have a perfect game than a laggy game that works whit FRAPS.

The new beta gives me the same fps with all ex-threads settings and the same as 1.05. It seems maybe slightly better with exthreads=0 (or no parameter) this time, but it feels a bit more stuttery than 70313 with exthreads=3.

It works though...

Testing this beta with FRAPS.

Test scenario Single hummer in Chernog. Avg FPS 15-25..

Was some improvement in FPS also used -exThreads=3 and recorded

with 10-15Fps..

My rig:

AMD Phenom 9500 Quad 2.1Ghz

3Gb Ram

Nvidia 8800GT 1Gb

Wind Vista latest

Tested the latest beta last night after not playing ARMA2 for a few months (Since 1.05). Gotta say I cant see any significant or noticable gains with this beta over standard or the old 0.6 betas before xmas.

Really hope they can improve peformance around buildings/towns as these are real fps killers.

I can place myself on the map next to the biggest city. If I look away from the city I get almost 50 fps... I do a 180 and look towards the city (from over 1k away) and the fps drops to 28... almost half.

The GPU also runs cooler when looking at the city so its not a GPU limit, however the CPU usage does not go up when looking at city so doesnt look like that either.... my CPU is usually at 55% even when fps drops to mid 20's (Quad @ 3.8Ghz with all 4 cores being used about 50%).

Yapa