Sign in to follow this  
WillaCHilla

New Beta Build 70709 is up!

After I had install some of the latest beta, my FRAPS dont work in the game anymore. when i try to record it drop down to 2 FPS.... whitout the Beta it will record fine.

It is quite a shame that this is happening. I love to recorde.

it all startet after patch ARMA2_Build_69645

Have you tried tinkering with the exthreads thingy?

I would recommend trying exThreads=3

Also try tinkering with arma2's process priority, I find it helps to have it on high/very high.

I'm getting much better performance around trees with the 70709 patch, even compared to 706, 703, performance has pretty much doubled. Is there some unmentioned note in there that could've caused this?

Have you tried tinkering with the exthreads thingy?

I would recommend trying exThreads=3

Also try tinkering with arma2's process priority, I find it helps to have it on high/very high.

That changes nothing. Believe me, I've tried many different things and the issue still persists. The only way to fix for me it is going back to 1.05, and it works completely fine when I do so.

That changes nothing. Believe me, I've tried many different things and the issue still persists. The only way to fix for me it is going back to 1.05, and it works completely fine when I do so.

yea.... my experience to. it happed after one of the patch, because if you remove the beta everything is fine, and if you take the beta before the one I postet there is no problem. so it is something in the patch at that stage that makes FRAPS unable to run at the same time..... and if it is someting to do whit the OA, then it is something they HAVE to fix before realesing.

there are many peoble in the community that use FRAPS to record the game so they can evaluate theire preformance on the teamwork. so please fix this problem.

FRAPS don't work on those latest beta patches :( I have posted it for long time ago. If you want to record with FRAPS, u will need to install an older patch. I use 63826.

Cheers

No, I know it's not universal, but the symptoms definitely indicate a memory leak, possibly only on Very High settings, or with Video Memory set to Default. It's super annoying to me because I can't play a game for more than an hour or so without a crash, and when I'm online trying to play Domination and fly an A-10 or something it gets real annoying when the screen blacks out and I crash the jet into the ground. I end up just getting frustrated with the game and quitting.

So have you tried lower your video settings?

Some people seems to think it's a right that their system should run the game with a high resolution and with max'ed out video settings!

Trees appear to have lower detail LOD's until you are closer to them - maybe this explains the performance difference some are seeing with vegetation.

Performance with 70709 in Electro is down on 70256, but better than 70313 and flickering shadows are back on buildings.

Runway lights no longer explode when you shoot them (don't ask).

MavericK96: Have you tested with only 4GB RAM?

- rule out bugs with > 4GB RAM, DIMM failure

You have two GTX 280s, are you using SLI?

XP 32bit!?

and yeah, my system spec. is quite similar to yours yet I have reduced settings in comparison for optimal performance.

I understand the higher view distance as you talk about flying, but you can probably still reduce it without impact, ref.: http://dev-heaven.net/wiki/proper-projects/PROPER_projects#Object-drawing-distance-tweak and gain performance/stability.

Protegimus

Edited by Protegimus

FRAPS works on this beta without -exThreads=X. If u use -exThreads=X then you will run into recording problems, total lag and FPS down to 1.

This beta seems to be good on my rig and better with -exThreads=3

Having issues on dedicated servers where the pings show in the lobby as 56,32,104 but after game launch they jump to 1024564,1002348,1600121.

Any Clues?

So have you tried lower your video settings?

Some people seems to think it's a right that their system should run the game with a high resolution and with max'ed out video settings!

I keep explaining this, but no one seems to be listening, lol.

If I can run the game at my current settings at 30+ FPS, the game *should* be perfectly stable. Instability shouldn't be a symptom of graphical settings being too high, low FPS is the symptom for that. Sure, I can lower my settings (particularly Video Memory) to High or V. High, but I will actually lose a ton of performance, so what's the point? If the game begins to stutter to the point of being unplayable then there is no point.

MavericK96: Have you tested with only 4GB RAM?

- rule out bugs with > 4GB RAM, DIMM failure

You have two GTX 280s, are you using SLI?

XP 32bit!?

I haven't tried with 4 GB RAM, but this issue seems to be VRAM related, so I'm not sure that would help. I suppose I could try it, though.

I am using SLI, and as far as I can tell it works fine (e.g. huge performance boost when in SLI versus not)

And I know XP gives better performance, but I'm not going to revert back to a 10 year old OS for one game. Vista and 7 have been out plenty long for this game to run alright using them, like most every other game out there does. Plus I've got 6 GB of RAM, so it'd be like slashing my RAM in half using a 32-bit OS.

FRAPS works on this beta without -exThreads=X. If u use -exThreads=X then you will run into recording problems, total lag and FPS down to 1.

This beta seems to be good on my rig and better with -exThreads=3

no it does not work. no matter what i try i can not make FRAPS to work/record whit more than 2 FPS.

It is somethibg in the ARMA2_Build_69645 patch that makes it.

it has not been fix. :(

I keep explaining this, but no one seems to be listening, lol.

If I can run the game at my current settings at 30+ FPS, the game *should* be perfectly stable. Instability shouldn't be a symptom of graphical settings being too high, low FPS is the symptom for that. Sure, I can lower my settings (particularly Video Memory) to High or V. High, but I will actually lose a ton of performance, so what's the point? If the game begins to stutter to the point of being unplayable then there is no point.

It's been proven time after time that having your settings too high can cause problems eventhough it seems to run fine while it does run!

---------- Post added at 05:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 PM ----------

no it does not work. no matter what i try i can not make FRAPS to work/record whit more than 2 FPS.

It is somethibg in the ARMA2_Build_69645 patch that makes it.

it has not been fix. :(

Hmm it works fine for me just tested right :confused:

for fraps issues it would be best consult with author of fraps ;)

Yep-perhaps its an issue of a newer version of Fraps? -Build 2.9.8_7777 runs fine here.

I haven't tried with 4 GB RAM, but this issue seems to be VRAM related, so I'm not sure that would help. I suppose I could try it, though.

There are two reasons for this.

1. A number of problems were logged in the change log regarding bugs when system memory > 4GB, e.g.:

[59924] Fixed: More 32b overflows caused by 8 GB RAM + large VRAM

There are entries for 6GB too, so don't discount it because the example I gave quotes 8GB.

2. Ensure the problem isn't with your RAM

I am using SLI, and as far as I can tell it works fine (e.g. huge performance boost when in SLI versus not)

Purely for reference and benefit of others in the community, how about posting some information about your results.

And I know XP gives better performance, but I'm not going to revert back to a 10 year old OS for one game. Vista and 7 have been out plenty long for this game to run alright using them, like most every other game out there does. Plus I've got 6 GB of RAM, so it'd be like slashing my RAM in half using a 32-bit OS.

Just ignore the advice if you don't like it.

Vista and 7 may have been out for some time, but ArmA 2 was built on 32bit, then patched to work on the Vista platform.

If you ran that 10 year old O/S, you wouldn't be crippling your core i7 by disabling hyperthreading - maximising the performance of the system where ArmA 2 needs it most, the processor.

You have 6GB RAM and that is totally irrelevant.

ArmA 2 is a 32bit application so can address only 2GB. Anything else is for the system, a ramdrive, etc.

I have 12GB RAM, 3.6GB for XP/applications and 9GB for ramdrive - not much waste there, eh?

Protegimus

Why are those ugly moving 2D clouds from OFP and ArmA back? :butbut:

ugly_skies_th.jpg

[70582] Improved: Increased dynamic cloud layer visibility.

I guess that's what that meant.

Please BIS don't add these things again. The skies always looked so much better with these removed in OFP and ArmA, and it's no different in Arma 2. I think they look just as ugly as ever. :(

Purely for reference and benefit of others in the community, how about posting some information about your results.

Results regarding what? SLI vs. non-SLI? I'm not sure what you're asking for, sorry.

Just ignore the advice if you don't like it.

Vista and 7 may have been out for some time, but ArmA 2 was built on 32bit, then patched to work on the Vista platform.

If you ran that 10 year old O/S, you wouldn't be crippling your core i7 by disabling hyperthreading - maximising the performance of the system where ArmA 2 needs it most, the processor.

You have 6GB RAM and that is totally irrelevant.

ArmA 2 is a 32bit application so can address only 2GB. Anything else is for the system, a ramdrive, etc.

I have 12GB RAM, 3.6GB for XP/applications and 9GB for ramdrive - not much waste there, eh?

Protegimus

From what I hear, hyperthreading doesn't really do anything for 99% of games, including ArmA2. I have it disabled anyway because it allows me to get a massive overclock (which I would argue is more important for ArmA2) without outrageous temperatures.

I'm not trying to come off as ungrateful for the advice or argumentative, honestly. I'm just frustrated with the game and I feel like this issue with video memory is an issue with the game, period. Whether or not everyone gets it doesn't really matter, it's an issue that needs to be addressed. I'm not even blaming this on the devs, I'm merely trying to post regularly about the beta progress and my own personal testing in order to make the game better for everyone. :D

I know how to set up a computer, so there should not be any issues with incompatibility or settings/drivers, and this is apparent to me because no other games have issues on my rig but ArmA2.

Even people who don't have the "Receiving..." issue, but rather the random CTDs, with Out of Memory errors and otherwise, as well as the "minimize to task manager" should benefit from this as well, because I believe these issues to also be related to memory mapping issues.

With all that said, maybe I will attempt a dual-boot situation with XP to see how it plays out, but in all honesty I'd much rather just keep 7 for all the other features. Also, regarding ArmA2 being 32-bit...almost every application out there is still built on 32-bit. From what I understand, Windows Vista/7 are not even native 64-bit OSes, but rather have a 64-bit layer on top of the 32-bit base. I don't think ArmA2 being 32-bit on a 64-bit OS has anything to do at all with the issues I've been getting. Performance-wise, XP may be better, but in terms of stability I am not so sure.

Have to agree with Zipper5 on that one. Unless some planned feature calls for it, the OFP clouds wasn't exactly on the top of my wishlist, to put it mildly :)

those ugly moving 2D clouds

I've thought the improvement in changelog concerns with Weather Module...

for fraps issues it would be best consult with author of fraps ;)

Why should I talk to those guys of the things you F*** up....

READ MY POST.

FRAPS works fine if i DO NOT USE the beta patch AFTER version 63826.

the version 63826 is the latest patch where everyting is fine. after that the Beta F*** up and will only record in 2 FPS. everything is fine if i DO NOT USE THE BETA.

That means that it is the BETA patch that is the problen and NOT FRAPS.

The FRAPS I use is an original version that is up to date, that means it is version 3.2.2 build 11496

and it works fine before the BETA

So please look in to the problem why the beta makes FRAPS un usable.

thx.

No issues with fraps here. Records like a dream on the latest beta (70709). No sound though, it has never been for me. -exThreads=3 and some addons used. Could only record about 30 seconds though due to some disk space issues :)

Just tested fraps with the latest beta on my laptop and it still worked great. So if my lower-spec laptop can record fine, it's something on YOUR end.

Well, I tried the demo, and got about 5 fps as an average, when I bought the game and with the latest official patch, I was getting a 5-15 average, and online play wasn't much better, with this beta (i tried the one just before this for only an hour and it was much improved) things are much, much more acceptable, I had no crashes, I did have some weirdness with warfare mode (games.on.net i think) but nothing that made it unplayable.

It's really starting to come to the point where it feels stable and comfortable fps wise (imo obviously)

I'm running an Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0ghz Processor (E8400), 3gb of ram, and (my weakest point) an Nvidia 8600GT (512mb) and was getting about 20-40 as an average (online - warfare mode), now I'm used to owning p.o.s computers and struggling along at 5-10 fps single player, so being able to play ARMA II online, including lag, and my ISP being a bastard sometimes, and still getting roughly 30 had me grinning yesterday.

---------- Post added at 09:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 AM ----------

I just noticed I have the same processor as Ringhejm, I'm going to try and record some footage with fraps...

---------- Post added at 10:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 AM ----------

yeah I'm getting a similair problem too, no matter what graphics settings it slows to a stop, then speeds for a second or so, then stops, and repeats

If I can figure out how the youtube embed works I made a vid for you guys, I don't expect you to fix it, just find it strange.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PUytsfbGt4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PUytsfbGt4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

If it's something on our end it's very odd how it only appeared after using one of the latest betas, and how it disappears when going back to previous ones, what with the substantial changes to the engine...