Sign in to follow this  
D00mbuggy

Red Dead Redemption

Anyone get this yet? It has a 96 on metacritic.

Copy Pasta from Wikipedia:

Red Dead Redemption is a sandbox-style action-adventure western video game developed by Rockstar San Diego, released in May 2010 on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.[3] It is a spiritual successor[6] to 2004's Red Dead Revolver.

Red Dead Redemption gives the player a large, open world environment allowing the player to move freely. Players on foot can walk, talk, shoot, kill, ride, run, interact with the environment, and combat enemies with firearms. Different breeds of horses are the main forms of transportation. Swimming is not an option, as the protagonist John Marston cannot swim and will drown if the player ventures too far into a body of water (though he is able to wade where the water is shallow enough).[7]

The open world environment allows players to choose how they want to play. Storyline missions are for progress. Along with the main storyline, players can take part in random events they encounter as they explore the West. These include public hangings, ambushes, pleas for assistance, and dangerous animal attacks. Players can also take part in optional side activities ranging from standoffs, gambling, and hunting animals for pelts and meat.

Red Dead Redemption makes use of a morality system where players have the ability to gain positive or negative 'honor'. Some of the ways to gain positive honor include taking an outlaw alive instead of killing him, or saving a kidnapped innocent. Negative honor can be attained for committing crimes including killing and/or robbing civilians. This works along with another system, 'fame,' showing and governing how people react based on Marston's honor status.[8]

3gBctl1h_2o

x1xw8Kaeq8I

rQ_z-_4fF4Y

yeh i may pick this up when i have some more free time :) it looks good

Being watching my friend play it, its excellent :)

I bought it last night and played it until I fell asleep on the couch with the controller in my hand. So far I like it a lot.

It's rare these days that a new game keeps me amused for more than 10 minutes. I'm glad I bought it.

So am I. I bet like GTA IV it will be released eventually, but by then I think I will have played it to death on my PS3. Just need to finish my exams first... :(

I'm about 1 hour into it and had to stop playing after that 'cause I kept falling asleep. The game is brilliantly dome, unfortunately the start is very slow and boring but I hear it gets a lot better.

My limited edition version arrived this morning, very, very special game :)

My limited edition version arrived this morning, very, very special game :)

I have been playing for the last 2 days, for several hours at a time. This is why I play video games. Every once in awhile a special game is released and this is one of them. For all the games I buy that amuse me for 2 hours or less, this one makes up for it.

I really haven't found anything negative to say about it. It is a blast MP and SP.

Edited by Mosh

tried to get hold of it today, the PS3 version was sold out EVERYWHERE! Looks amazing, watched my friend playing it and have to say I'm very impressed, thought Red Dead Revolver was good so didnt expect this to live up to it but from what I've seen it certainly has!

One thing I wish was the it wasn't compulsory to upgrade deadeye, the game is already pretty easy, deadeye level 2 makes the game way to easy, of course I don't need to use it blah blah but level 1 works well because it still is a challenge :)

It's especially great to hear that the game is something special when you consider how long it was in development for and the pressures that were apparently on R*SD during much of that time.

Here's hoping it comes to PC at some point (as long as the porting is better than that of GTAIV).

I bought it at 9am today, been playing it since but my brother has kicked me off the Xbox now. It's my favourite game at the moment but the single let down I have found is that there is no trains in multiplayer, but it's only a minor issue.

Well trains are only good for the "Dastardly" achievement ;)

OfzcTi52dvU

Posted my mini review on Facebook :)

10/10 - Awesome game, as a fan of the western genre going back to 25+ years ago I had high hopes for the game as Rockstar's past sandbox titles have all been very solid but the game even surpasses those high expectations, have it on the 360 and the graphics are incredible, shocked at how much they managed to squeeze out of the old girl, PS3 version doesn't look so good but who cares about that eh? ;)

They did a really great job simulating the tough, unforgiving wild west, from the characters that populate it to the fully interacting animal kingdom that behaves and hunts appropriately.

Horse control works great, sure it takes about 2 mins to learn properly but then it's a doddle, shooting mechanics also work very well, personally I can't stand any kind of aim assists so very pleased there's an expert shooting mode which makes 100m+ pistol head shots very rewarding! Lasso is also fun and works well.

Couple of minor bugs/glitches so far, occasional slight pop-in, occasional FPS dips when in vegetation intensive areas, one time I fell completely through the world which was interesting.

Only real complaint would be that the game's too easy, I played 15-20 hours so far and it's really quite easy to survive even the big shootouts, it's especially easy when you upgrade deadeye to level 2, which unfortunately is compulsory to move from New Austin to any further regions, of course the answer is "well don't use deadeye then" which is true but the first level of deadeye is fun whilst still requiring skill to use, but I guess that's a minor complaint for a game that offers 30-50 hours in SP and unlimited hours in MP, here's hoping for numerous DLC in the future to add more SP gameplay!

I've been looking at getting this game when it starts selling second hand because I love GTA IV, but I've heard its essentially an interactive movie, with little skill required. You said it was easy in your review too Placebo. Some reviews have said it isn't as good as GTA, and Eurogamer - who I trust normally - didn't give it as high a score. Is it just they expect more now, or is it simply that it's not so much a game as a movie?

I don't buy many games, either ArmAII or GTA IV was the last, but I love GTA, so I may get Episodes of Liberty City which is only about £15 now, but its the same city, so maybe it's better to hold out a month or two for Red Dead Redemption - any one here who's got both?

Bought it off tesco.com friday night for £30 (with a promo code) and it arrived this morning.

Thoroughly enjoying the game so far: great gun-fighting, superb open scenery. Even herding cattle is enjoyable.

I just finished trying to get the hang of playing horseshoe; think I've just about cracked the technique now

Bunch of my friends bought this game. They love it, and want me to get it...

I've been looking at getting this game when it starts selling second hand because I love GTA IV, but I've heard its essentially an interactive movie, with little skill required. You said it was easy in your review too Placebo. Some reviews have said it isn't as good as GTA, and Eurogamer - who I trust normally - didn't give it as high a score. Is it just they expect more now, or is it simply that it's not so much a game as a movie?

I don't buy many games, either ArmAII or GTA IV was the last, but I love GTA, so I may get Episodes of Liberty City which is only about £15 now, but its the same city, so maybe it's better to hold out a month or two for Red Dead Redemption - any one here who's got both?

EG review is crap, think they're just trying to get themselves some PR like with the Alan Wake review.

It's far from an interactive movie, it's far, far, far, far better than GTAIV which was little more than a tech demo IMO as the game itself was boring, just story, nothing else to do which for me is not GTA.

I have GTAIV plus both DLC and RDR is infinitely better.

Anyone able to provide some detailed informations about "Free Roam" multiplayer mode? I am really looking forward some cool RPG game with bunch of my friends (4-12 players)

Man played whole day, and the singleplayer still got me hooked.

Going to get into the MP part later on.

Anyone else noticed the little puddles after the rain? This is something I've wanted to see in openworld games (especially arma2) for years! Great to see the first steps are made, and they look brilliant.

Now I'm going to saddle up my horse again!

Hopefully Rockstar has as much heart for this game as BIS has for theirs, because this is a great basis for a game that only can get better and better when they add more features in it. I allready had a moment or two where it all felt a bit lifeless somehow.

Hopefully Rockstar has as much heart for this game as BIS has for theirs, because this is a great basis for a game that only can get better and better when they add more features in it. I allready had a moment or two where it all felt a bit lifeless somehow.

Well they released an update within the first week of release so there's your answer. :)

Im just hoping they will do like they did with GTA 4, say nothing about a PC version and then announce it after the console release.

I've been thinking about getting a PS3 along with this game. Is it worth it for those who have played?

Even herding cattle is enjoyable.

I just finished trying to get the hang of playing horseshoe; think I've just about cracked the technique now

Just you wait till the Brokeback Expansion comes out!