Sign in to follow this  
nuxil

ships. need advice on howto destroy them

Hi all..

Im working on a mission where one of the tasks is to destroy a us navy fleet.

3x fregats, 2x destroyers and 1 lhd.

thise object can not be used with eventhandlers.. or maybe i did something wrong, none of the event handlers i put on them ever executes.

so after messing around a bit i came up with a methode using roadcones.

i attached 30 roadcones around on the destroyer at variouse places.

the dammage is calulated and when its at a sertan point it. i make the ship sink.

i used eventhandlers on the roadcones. so i can check if it was hit and what ammo hit it.

now im planning to do the same on the lhd. but its a damn boring work attaching all this roadcones to the ship. i guess i need about 100 or more. to make it somewhat usefull.

anyone got a better idea how i can check if a ship is hit/dammaged by something??

the way im doing now is over kill with roadcones.

A trigger with

!alive nameOfObject

or

getdammage nameOfObject > someDezimalNumberValue

as condition, maybe?

umm. noo that dosent work

I don’t think you can do it easily, sorry to say.

The big ships aren’t vehicles, so you can’t use setdammage.

Sounds like you got the right idea mate , pain in the ass though i bet.

The best way i can think of would be to fake some explosions around them and have them slowly sink down into the water using setpossition ( I assume you are using this to make them 'float' anyway right?) But that wouldn’t be very realistic i guess..

you could implement the same sort of thing though, and have the explosions on the relevant part of the ship..

Back in OFP days i say an Arty script that would place a 50.cal gun, blow it up, and then delete the gun. Real fast like, so you wouldn’t see the gun, but the explosion remained behind.

Hi.

I once experimented with this kind of issue.

Un-PBO my "co16 Skooma sand lions" mission (Needs Panthera island) and see how I went with it....

Sorry but it's awhile since I made it and I'm too busy (and at work) opening up the files and copy pasting them..

I used created LGB bombs in middle of the hull combined with smoke shells.

Then after each explosion I used setVectorUp command to tilt a ship more and more until it was capsized.

Unfortunately I only got the tilting working on local. it is not seen on dedicated.

(If someone solves that please let me know so I can make a fix in the mission)

:)

I believe if you want something to update globally you have to use the 'setPos' command. Using that should update the model for everybody.

Maybe use a code like (guessing the Vectors):

ship1 setVectorUp [0, 0, 1];
ship1 setPos (getPos ship1);

Just guessing. I'm pretty sure that using 'setPos' updates it for everybody in an MP game though.