Sign in to follow this  
Fox '09

How do I make a helicopter invincible to water?

Hi all, I was wondering if it was possible to disable water damage within the editor. A quick search didn't find anything...

any ideas?

thanks

You could do...

this setDamage false;

That would disable ALL incoming damage to the vehicle. Not sure if it's possible to limit the invincibility to only water though...

thanks! I'll give that a try. Perhaps I'll create a trigger or something that if the heli is less than 3 meters it will not take damage, as a temporary solution

Sounds like a good plan to me!

Remember though, the trigger's condition is only checked ~twice per second. So if you're heading towards the ground fast you might just miss the check and crash anyway! :D

I guess it'll take some tuning. Also, False doesn't work, unless I'm doing something wrong..

It said "Type any, expected object"

I tried with naming it heli1 and "heli1 setdamage false;" but got the same result.

edit:

it is in the init, is this the right place? same result for the trigger onactivation

Oh my god I'm sorry! setDamage is for DAMAGING vehicles. 1 = Completely Destroyed and 0 = Completely Unharmed.

The one you want is allowDamage! God I'm sorry! :D

this allowDamage false;

That should work! :D

hehe, thanks :)

I'll report back if I get it to work (the trigger..)

edit: I am awful at triggers, no luck here :(

I have checked these here,

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/getPosASL

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/PositionASL

but I can't really figure out how to activate the trigger if the height is 10/5 meters above sea level

Edited by Fox '09

edited as soon as you posted :(

anyway, allowdamage doesn't seem to keep it from exploding on contact with the water.. but it appears to keep it from exploding while it is in the water. I might want it to stay intact if speed is <50

I know you'd be able to fetch it's speed by doing something like:

//Condition
speed HELONAME < 50

//Activation
HELONAME allowDamage false;

Not sure about height though...

I'll see what I can do about height. Thanks

For height you would use (getPosASL heli1 select 2) because (getPosASL heli1) will return an array of:

[X (left - right) co ordinate of heli1, Y (forward - backward) co ordinate of heli1, Z (up - down) co ordinate of heli1]

and you only want to get the HEIGHT (Z) of the object you use select 2 to get the third element of the array.

thanks, I'll give it a shot.

I make make it dependent on both speed and altitude, because I'm sure if a helicopter hit water at a high enough velocity it would kill the crew/get smashed up

Yeh helicopters coming in to land and hitting the water kills people, so I'm sure it going at some pace and doing it would blow you up! :D Let us know how it goes!