Sign in to follow this  
ProfTournesol

Veni Vidi Vici Mod (Romans and Barbarians)

hoo

I want play this mod ho i want to play this please please Prof

je suis tombé sur les fesses

Good luck with this ProfT, looks fantastic. Though obviously there's the age old OFP limitations to take into account, and a mod like this would probably be better suited to Mount and Blade In terms of combat* a decent mission with a good story using this mod and OFP's mission editing flexibility will give it a unique edge rarely seen before in Flashpoint. If I had a wishlist I'd add some custom animations to it, if one of the animators from the Liberation1941 mod had a crack at it the results would be outstanding.. well we can always dream :D

Do you have any future plans for your other projects? such as another release for the Napoleonic Mod or WW1 mod?

*mount and blade has always seemed very sub par to me in terms of engaging missions

Edited by POPKA

At all : thanks a lot, we're the last of the OFP mohicans :)

Good luck with this ProfT, looks fantastic. Though obviously there's the age old OFP limitations to take into account, and a mod like this would probably be better suited to Mount and Blade In terms of combat* a decent mission with a good story using this mod and OFP's mission editing flexibility will give it a unique edge rarely seen before in Flashpoint. If I had a wishlist I'd add some custom animations to it, if one of the animators from the Liberation1941 mod had a crack at it the results would be outstanding.. well we can always dream :D

Do you have any future plans for your other projects? such as another release for the Napoleonic Mod or WW1 mod?

*mount and blade has always seemed very sub par to me in terms of engaging missions

I agree with you on everything. Mount and Blade is a great game but it lacks the campaign and freedom aspect of OFP, i'm geting bored quickly with it, and i never liked the "quest" type of the campaign. But the close combat part of it, the horse combats and the arrow shell simulations are very nice.

The combat part in my mod is quite basic, it isn't possible to block a stab nor to defend oneself, it's basically : aim, click and strike. Or run to avoid a stab. At least, it isn't scripted.

The animation part is being reworked ATM, but it's quite complex as in OFP you can't link the anim to a weapon, so all weapons (sword, ax, spear, and even bow) must share the same animations. So I only managed to create two strokegun anims, one when you're standing up and another one when you're prone (well, crouching).

You can take a look to LibMod .cpp config, they assigned differents animations to especific weapons, like the PTRD. It had custom animations for other weapons like the MG's too.

Greetings.

You can take a look to LibMod .cpp config, they assigned differents animations to especific weapons, like the PTRD. It had custom animations for other weapons like the MG's too.

Greetings.

Well, in LibMod they have attached some specific anims to some specific class of soldiers (which is possible) and not to specific weapons (which is impossible). But i don't like it : you have nice sword anims, you drop the sword, you pick up a bow and the anims are not matching anymore.

Well, personally I think that attaching specific anims to specific units is not a bad idea. Every unit has its own speciality so I can't imagine a Roman pretorian dropping his sword a picking up a bow as there were separated centuries for legionaries, archers etc.

Well, in LibMod they have attached some specific anims to some specific class of soldiers (which is possible) and not to specific weapons (which is impossible). But i don't like it : you have nice sword anims, you drop the sword, you pick up a bow and the anims are not matching anymore.

I think the current situation is more historically accurate ... each ancient weapon required lots of training to use effectively. Roman legionaries trained and drilled endlessly to fight with scutum, pilum and gladius. Their infantry tactics evolved around these 3 elements. Greek Hoplites specialized fighting in a Phalanx with a dory - a 2.5 m pike, and were only pressed into hand-to-hand combat out of desperation. Once the phalanx was broken, the Hoplites would often be slaughtered. Archery was a special skill, and often mercenaries already possessing these skills were hired instead of trying to train a recruit to be a good archer. I doubt a Roman would drop his 70 cm gladius in the heat of battle to pick up a 35 cm Gallic sword. Becoming competent in hand-to-hand combat requires much more familiarity and training than learning to aim and fire a gun.

Speaking of specialization, I noticed you do not have slingers (slingshot throwers) in your armies. They could often inflict death from further than arrows and javelins. The Greeks and Romans made extensive use of highly skilled mercenary slingers from Balearic Islands in their wars. The Persians also used slingers.

I am an Arma2 player, but I am thinking of getting OFP just to play your mods!

Edited by MissionCreep

I think the current situation is more historically accurate ... each ancient weapon required lots of training to use effectively. Roman legionaries trained and drilled endlessly to fight with scutum, pilum and gladius. Their infantry tactics evolved around these 3 elements. Greek Hoplites specialized fighting in a Phalanx with a dory - a 2.5 m pike, and were only pressed into hand-to-hand combat out of desperation. Once the phalanx was broken, the Hoplites would often be slaughtered. Archery was a special skill, and often mercenaries already possessing these skills were hired instead of trying to train a recruit to be a good archer. I doubt a Roman would drop his 70 cm gladius in the heat of battle to pick up a 35 cm Gallic sword. Becoming competent in hand-to-hand combat requires much more familiarity and training than learning to aim and fire a gun.

Speaking of specialization, I noticed you do not have slingers (slingshot throwers) in your armies. They could often inflict death from further than arrows and javelins. The Greeks and Romans made extensive use of highly skilled mercenary slingers from Balearic Islands in their wars. The Persians also used slingers.

I am an Arma2 player, but I am thinking of getting OFP just to play your mods!

that might be asking a bit too much in terms of close ranged combat, OFP just couldn't work that way as it is

(unless it was made open source and allowed mod makers to edit the core game codes)

Despite this handicap i've always found that OFP give's you ways to create an imersive atmosphere without the need for a gun/sword fight every other minuite. Just as an example; I was recently working on a "Barry Lyndon" campaign for the napoleonic mod though im far too lazy to likely release itl I incorperated sounds from the movie along with similar cut scenes and ever though the combat wasn't up to much the cinematics more than made up for it.

Ok, after your remarks and despite of my initial thoughts, i'm making several sets of animations according to the different kinds of weapons, with the great help of Sanctuary.

ProfTournesol as we are working on the mod? When will the demo version?

ProfTournesol as we are working on the mod? When will the demo version?

I'm still working on it, but at a slow pace i must admit. I'll provide some pics soon :)

Roman siege tower (model by Stu) :

siegex.jpg

and a balista (model by stu) :

balista.jpg

Picture taken in ArmA : cwa

The landing of the siege tower will make the script?Great screenshots!

jojo, that's pure awesomeness, how many cargo spaces have the "siege tower vehicle"?

Looks great

Wow, siege tower is just astonishing! :eek: I'm assuming that it is movable? Are the soldiers ('pushers') fully animated? And soldiers on higher levels - they are 'cargo', yes?

Wow, siege tower is just astonishing! :eek: I'm assuming that it is movable? Are the soldiers ('pushers') fully animated? And soldiers on higher levels - they are 'cargo', yes?

The tower is basically a vehicle with a driver, soldiers are in cargo positions, their exit point is at the door level, the pushers are part of the cargo and thus aren't animated ATM.

wonderfull, it's just wonderfull.

I can't wait this mod, and i think this mod must be attempt for all

Thank you for reviving these models and the very idea behind the mod. Progress looks excellent :)