Sign in to follow this  
Dariusz1989

CPU Xeon - not supported?

Heya

I've downloaded few days ago this game off steam as demo to test it out. However I cant start the game. I see 2 images IG with tanks and etc and after that game crash to windows. I try patch it too but even after path it didnt work.

I googled for a while web to find some sollutions but I didnt find anything (well I did but no sollutions on how to fix it) :(

My setup

CPU: 2x Xeon Nehelem E5530

Main: Asus Z8PE-D18

Ram: 24 (6x4) Kingston Ecc

GPU: Nvidia BFG 8800 GTS OC

HDD: 4x WD RE3(if I'm not wrong)

Sound: Creative X:Fi Gammer Eddition

Win: WIn7 x64

and thats all... Can any1 help me out with it ? Is it my CPU or just common crash...?

Have you tried -cpucount=X command?

also, I do ask why you are attempting to run ArmA 2 on a dual socket server board..

but if it works for other games, it should work for arma 2.

Hey

I just download it again from gamersheell as standalone install file. THe steam one is kinda locked lol.

Anyway I just try to use that -cpucount=X but it didnt help. I also changed the compatibility to windows xp under options but nothing help...

Game is patched tooo

And about ur question, its my workstation pc for work (3d graphics/animation etc) as well as gaming station. So I'm using it for work and sometimes relax in games.

Well still doesn't wana work, any idea what els it could be ? I dont rly get any error, just ''game stopped working'' or something like that.. :/

As you have 24gb of ram, then maybe trying -maxmem=2048 as a command line.

I know when the game was released people with over 8gb Ram had crashes etc.

So if -maxmem= doesnt work, then am at a loss.

As you have 24gb of ram, then maybe trying -maxmem=2048 as a command line.

I know when the game was released people with over 8gb Ram had crashes etc.

So if -maxmem= doesnt work, then am at a loss.

:rolleyes: Should that not be -maxmem=2047

:rolleyes: Should that not be -maxmem=2047

lol opps my fat fingers did it again, atleast this time it didnt wipe millions off wall street :p

Hey

Nop not working either, Maybe I can put both somehow? Any idea how should it looks like? -maxmem=2048, -cpucount=X like that ?

yeah but no comma inbetween. and dont forget -winxp

demo is missing lot of bug fixes related to exactly your hardware ... (e.g. 4+GB RAM)

-winXP might help but might not ...

HEy guys, Ive tried all above suggestion and nothing worked. Kinda sad coz I rly wanted to test it out b4 buying... I guess I just gonna have to risk it :)

However if some1 could spare few mins of his time and tell me few things about the game... that would be great :)

Basically, hows the multiplayer? Thats the only reason why I want to play it... I know that theres 1 huge map, but how does multi works ? Its human vs human, or human vs AI or mb mix ? Are there any upgrades, ranks etc etc like battlefied? And in general, how is it? Is it worth it ?

The reason why I'm interested in this game is because bfbc2 on pc its disaster, and I'm looking for replacement, If it will pass ill drag my clan in to it too :)

also any idea when arrowhead will be avaible?

Thanx and cya

it can be a mix. And as far as i know, upgrades ranks etc depend on the multiplayer mission/mission pack. That has to be scripted and whatnot.

Try this pack when you get the game,

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=7489

Judging by screenshots of ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead, there might be some cool PVP game modes..

It's fun, addicting, and makes you think. You care more about getting shot than other games. (since there isn't "auto-heal", and it's hard to shoot while you are injured).

It's worth it. and the community makes it even more worth it. You will never run out of new things to play with.. every day an addon is released.

Edited by Fox '09

Hey

Thanx for ur info AxF FoX ! That ad on + other expansions/ packs etc are they single or multiplayer?

And again is there pvp ? I mean if u got mission, one team is defending, one atacking is it both Person Vs Person or Person Vs Mob/AI ?

both actually.

As for PVP, I am not sure if any default missions for ArmA 2 are PVP, but as I linked to Advance and Secure, it's Person Vs Person. Another one to check out is Warfare. It's a combination of Person vs Person and AI vs person. you control your squads (of AI) and capture cities.

There are other missions out there which are player vs 'bots', or a combination. I don't play multiplayer often myself, so I can't really tell you all of the PVP game modes but Advance and Secure seems to be the most popular aside from "Warfare"

UUU ok, Well i've bout the game few h ago, so lets hope than its gona be here in next few days... and of course its working hehe :) Will be bad if it wont work hehe :)

Try "C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\Common\ARMA 2\arma2.exe" -winxp -cpuCount=4 -maxmem=2047 -nosplash -showScriptErrors

Change the directory to match yours. Then if it works mess w the cpuCount. Would be interesting to see if it does eight. Doesn't your proc have Hyperthreading (shows 16 cores)?

Edited by Rexxenexx

HEy

No rexxenexx nop working either, however the game is starting differently, and I did try 4/16 cores neither work(yup its 16).

I ordered the game yesterday, I guess I'll just hope than the full version will be working... :)

I will also try again later on with that new setup, I did some render yesterday so they might cause problems.

I am running Xeons with Win7 x64. With the 1.05 patch you do not need the -winxp or the -maxmem switches. The -cpucount you do need.

With the 24+Gb of RAM you can run the whole game (vanilla/no mods) in a ramdrive. With a ramdisk program like SuperSpeed Ramdisk 11. You can use it to create a ramdrive virtual hard drive. Superspeed lets you save/reload it like a vhd. You install the game into the ramdrive. Set the ramdrive to start whenever you start up your computer or whenever you want to. Fastest ArmA2 on the planet!

Edited by Punisher5555

Lol Punisher o.o I never heard of it ! Can I set it to work only when I'm playing game? I cant have it 24/7 most of the time my pc eats like 15 gb ram on graphics u_u

Lol Punisher o.o I never heard of it ! Can I set it to work only when I'm playing game? I cant have it 24/7 most of the time my pc eats like 15 gb ram on graphics u_u

You can load/unload the ramdisk vhd anytime you like. Free up the ram you need load up your Superspeed ramdisk vhd. Double click your Arma2 icon which points to it being installed on the ramdisk and bam!

I only have 8Gb ram so I have only a 4Gb ramdisk created with SuperSpeed (x64 version). So I am just restoring my ramdisk vhd that contains as much of the addons folder I could squeeze in there. I want to thank qwertz for showing everyone how to do this.

Win7x64 = roughly 1-1.7 GB ram (depends on what you have loaded)

ArmA2 play = 2Gb ram (I make sure there is 2.5GB ram free to play game.)

ramdrive = as big as you can get it. (20GB you could install the base vanilla)

When you start adding mods and such it could get tricky if you have it installed to the ramdrive. ACE takes a bunch more.

Now Superspeed is a commercial product. But if you can afford it, it is worth every penny. There are freeware/shareware ramdrive programs, but I don't think they do what Superspeed does with vhd's. I could be wrong.

This setup is the ultimate rig for ArmA2 until they switch to 64bit engine and it no longer constantly streams for your hard drives.

Win7x64

Gobs and Gobs of RAM

ArmA2 installed to ramdrive.

kick booty video card.

and throw in nice internet connection.

Edited by Punisher5555

Awesome Punisher. Good to know it does work on Xeons. What is your shortcut exactly?

I am trying that 313 Beta right now so:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\beta\arma2.exe" -cpucount=2 -mod=beta;R:\AddOns;@Proper;@Summer -nosplash -exthreads=3

R: is my ramdrive. @Proper is the Proper vegetation mod that loses some of the tree LOD's for faster FPS. @Summer is the summer vegetation mod because it gets rid of the ugly orange/red trees.

My rig:

HP xw8200 with:

2x 3.4Ghz Xeon

8Gb RAM DDR2 800Mhz ECC

1TB SATA HD with 32meg cache

EVGA 285 GTX 1Gb

Windows 7 x64 Pro

TrackIR 4

ZBoard Merc keyboard

Saitek X-52 Joy/Thrott/Pedals

23" Samsung Widescreen 1920x1080

Edited by Punisher5555

Got full version today, its WORKING !!!

However have to say that the engine of game is disaster :/

Graphics nothing compared to crysis and I got less fps than there lol...

Btw. How to play with this ''wicked'' mouse? I cant hit anything with her moving so weirdly...

Glad to see you got it running. Go to the control options and adjust mouse smoothing. Adjusting settings is something you're gonna be doing all the time. ;) The most damaging setting is viewdistance. For multiplayer viewdistance is set by the server. So when playing, if ,slow fps, reduce the shadow setting or post process setting and you should be ok.