Sign in to follow this  
SWT_Janowich

Vietcong 3

Since years, I am looking forward to a successor of the highly successful Vietcong 1 (2003) and 2 (2005).

Unfortunately I've heard nothing yet and I wonder if you guys know anything about a successor.

I've heard that the company is the same who made the Mafia game, so is there any hope for a sequel after Mafia 2 is done?

it was released by Pterodon right? we played both extensively...

The company shut down and some of its former employees went working for 2k. There wont be a 3...

I agree I really like vietcong. It was the only vietnam game that really captured the mood and soldier 'slang' of the time. The expansion was quite good too. I wasn't really a big fan of vietcong 2. it was ok but jungle warfare with traps and gook tunnels ruled.

I liked the fluid animation system where you leapt/climbded over old trees and stuff as you "bunny hopped" it.

I also liked in Vietcong 2 where if you took cover behind a low wall, it would automatically put you into a covering position with the minimum of your body exposed when firing.

Stuff that other games assign keys for but really is better done without.

(Hint hint BIS).

I liked the fluid animation system where you leapt/climbded over old trees and stuff as you "bunny hopped" it.

I also liked in Vietcong 2 where if you took cover behind a low wall, it would automatically put you into a covering position with the minimum of your body exposed when firing.

Stuff that other games assign keys for but really is better done without.

(Hint hint BIS).

Agreed, this was one of the major pluses in the Vietcong games. This and the fact that the AI used cover effectively too. I used to play Vietcong on LANs with about 8 people, all of us as a team against the AI. Some firefights took ages. It was awesome. :)

i also liked the real music of the era added the game too. I know thats a poor arguement but it kind of makes it all so real

That's a great arguement. I often think to myself that more games should do this.

Vietcong was awesome and pretty much the only really good Vietnam game ever made, in my opinion. The music thing isn't a poor argument at all, 60's music is very important for a Vietnam game. The atmosphere of the game was amazing, it felt like a real, claustrophobic jungle and the pace of the game was relatively slow (because you had to look out for traps). Patrolling through the jungle was fun. I also liked how you had to walk over to your radioman to receive orders from HQ. The graphics were good enough to immerse you into the game, even today. It was semi-realistic.

Definitely an excellent game and recommended. I really wish Vietnam wasn't such an overlooked setting, I would love to see another (semi-)realistic Vietnam game. I think BIS would do a pretty good job at that :)

Graphics wise i agree. I dragged this baby out of the draw late last year while i was building a new computer. I finished Mafia and Vietcong again and must say for early naughties they are still very good games. Damn tunnel, easy to see why Hawkins is crazy in the second one.

I'm hoping the remnants of illusion that went to 2k make a hidden and dangerous 3. Another game we LANed latley and still very good.

I wanna Be Your Dog is the music playing in the chopper at the start of the Purple Haze expansion - I have put this as the intro to Evolution mission as a sly nod to Vietcong for those in the know.

I'm also grateful we have sickboy from 6th sense in the arma community as he was an old hand in vc.

We grabbed his M14 for arma 1 and I've been really pleased to have it again in A2, though we don't havethe wooden one aymore, which is a darn shame. I was chuffedto bits though to find an SKS Simonov carbine in the Vilas AK pack...

Semi auto with 10 or 15 rounds and iron sights is all you need in either arma or vc... as long as you have a good squad mind.

all hail vietcong, for it was truly a precursor to ofp/arma in terms of immersive coop play

[iG]http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t247/eggbeast/vc2eggscore.gif[/img]>100kb

Edited by Placebo

I really like to see Vietcong 3. Vietcong 1 is one of the best games ever. Its had almost unmatched atmosphere with very hard difficulty, the single-player was long and even the multiplayer was very fun. Vietcong 2 was really poor when compareing to first game. It was released too quick and that probably destroyed the whole game studio.

I hope that illusion softworks (2k czech) will make a real sequel for it after the Mafia 2. Every game that illusion softworks create is a pure gold. Only BIS (and looking glass) can challenge them. It just sad that most of the real game studios have been replaced with hollow and sterile zombie factories that print copies of call of duty with 5hr playtime. I wish to see more quality games in future again.

Ye Ye old Vietcong game , i got vietcong 1 + pack - loved that atmosfere and music :)

<object width="960" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imUgvgAueFM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imUgvgAueFM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="960" height="745"></embed></object>

Only one thing i hated in Vietcong game - was that wrong Huey sound :D

Edited by RobertHammer

all hail vietcong, for it was truly a precursor to ofp/arma in terms of immersive coop play

The coop mode was rather poor as far as i remember, it was just kill all bots scatered thru out the map to win (no objectives or anything), also the maps were just too small for coop. CTF was real fun but pugs were unplayable with all the cheaters.

The game doesnt work properly in windows vista and 7 so its dead for good.

The coop mode was rather poor as far as i remember, it was just kill all bots scatered thru out the map to win (no objectives or anything)

It was straightforward, yes, but certainly not poor. On the hardest difficulty mode, it was extremely challenging and loads of fun. :)

and there were LOADS of great large maps to play made by the community

Now this brings back memories, yeah thinking back on it Vietcong was awesome, quite gritty, i liked the mission where you had to defend the hill... i died a thousand times on that hill

That hill was crazy but the river boat mission was sadistic with hardest difficulty and the slow computer I had.

Or the infamous tunnels where 90% of players didn't know they had a flashlight :D

Or the infamous tunnels where 90% of players didn't know they had a flashlight :D

lol when i played first time , i didnot know that too , used those freakin green glow sticks :D :D

Ha, I didn't know that either the first time I played it! :D I used to drop a few chem-lights on the floor, drew a map on a piece of paper, load a saved game, go blindly using the map and repeat... I felt like an idiot when I found about the flashlight... seriously, my biggest gaming fail :o

lol even with the flashlight on you could easily get lost or stumble on a spike trap. (anyone ever watch tunnel rats)

I spent hours in those tunnels even after marking my way with glowsticks, but you felt good after finally finding the end.

After just reinstalling it and using vista it keeps crashing to desktop at a certain point on mission 2. Its a shame its done this and i hope someone comes out with a vista patch to fix it. I have seen older and less popular games come out with vista patches so i can assume its only a matter of time.

The tool VC Starter fixes the HradBa kicks with Vista/Win7 and has an option that should fix the Mission 2 crash.

I got it to work in MP on 7x64 but haven't tried SP yet.

Vietcong 2 was dead from the start when the publisher waited for weeks to release the finished patch that fixed a CD-key bug which prevented ~95% from playing online. But they did find the time to update the copy protection and add another splash screen...

They added objectives for coop, and the Fist Bravo mod expanded the map list (amongst many other things).

Sadly the second part has AI that don't care about being shot anymore, if it doesn't kill them they brush it off, while part 1 incapacitated them for a moment. That and the stupid spawn triggers make us still play mostly VC1 on LANs. Well, that and my bayonet ^^

The tool VC Starter fixes the HradBa kicks with Vista/Win7 and has an option that should fix the Mission 2 crash.

I got it to work in MP on 7x64 but haven't tried SP yet.

tried it and even though there were lots of updates and what looked like important file patching, the problem wasnt fixed. It still crashes when the comms radio starts talking