Sign in to follow this  
Zipper5

Companies like EA will be the end of gaming

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/108/1088621p1.html

I can't believe this shit. Well, I never really had interest in sports games anyways, but if they continue with such a bullshit policy I won't buy any of their games.

What are these companies hoping to achieve from this? The only thing they'll get is hatred from their customers. GFWL is a perfect example, but in that case Microsoft eventually came to their senses and got rid of the pay-to-play...

Oh, and what a big surprise it is that GameStop are fully supporting EA and this "endeavor". If people actually buy into this then I will have to come to terms with the end of gaming as we know it...

Edited by Zipper5

Well, I suppose it's thier product, and they're free to package it as they like.

Fortunately it's my money and i'm free not to buy thier products :D

Iam a big fan of all EA cricket games.EA is best company in my point of view providing cricketlover true cricket playing experience.

Not that much of a surprise. I gave the recent C&C a miss and stopped buying Ubisoft games altogether because of the ridiculous drm.

When it comes to EA this doesn't really matter. Go to your game library and reinstall all your old EA games.

Chances are none of the multiplay servers even work anymore if a game is older than a few years....hell even patching some games are impossible if they had a server to do it....C&C Renegade

I no longer even buy EA games.....And yes C&C4 won't be a buy for me either...Joe kucan you will be missed.

As riffleman said, EA does good with the sports games. I still buy Madden and NHL every year (XBOX 360) and will probably continue to do so. I'm not a big fan of them outside of sports titles though. They ruined a lot of games I used to like.

well ... obviously indie titles sell http://www.wolfire.com/humble

no DRM no middle man, pay w/e you decide to pay ...

result over 1 million USD in 7 days ...

even EA can dream about such sales ;)

I don't get why people buy games of things they can easily do in real life, like soccer and cricket...

Anyway, I certainly wont be paying for that crap. At least there's (barely) enough good PC games to avoid it.

EA has always been crap when it comes to online support for their games, like shutting down the online play after maybe two years (not sure of the exact timing) or after the next in the series is released.

I wonder if these games will also get their online play shut down after a while, ripping off people who paid for an online pass.

Well, I suppose it's thier product, and they're free to package it as they like.

Fortunately it's my money and i'm free not to buy thier products :D

If you believe that you have free will or can make any decison on your pure will then good luck! Lets see how you think about that when you crave for a new top game the next time! A greeting from human psychology!

But I dont think it will be "the end of anything"! They just maximise their profits and the monkeys will buy in - as usual! Humans are like monkeys - and monkeys are funny creatures! ;)

If you believe that you have free will or can make any decison on your pure will then good luck! Lets see how you think about that when you crave for a new top game the next time! A greeting from human psychology!

But I dont think it will be "the end of anything"! They just maximise their profits and the monkeys will buy in - as usual! Humans are like monkeys - and monkeys are funny creatures! ;)

I'm so glad you know me better than I know myself, even after only ever having seen me post on an internet forum. :rolleyes:

I've not brought a mainstream game that I've objected to on DRM or Publisher/Dev conduct grounds for years. I haven't and won't buy Napoleon Total War for example, because I felt they false sold Empire Total War. I'd have loved to have played Assassins Creed 2, but I haven't, and I won't. It's not hard, and we're not all ADD kids waiting for the next shiny thing to be distracted with.

No disrespect intended, but take your amateur Human Pyschology lesson and shove it up your arse. PS, just so you can file this in your "human psychology" drawer for future use on internet forums, this is what happens in the human mind when you tell someone you don't even know what they can and cannot do, and how they will or will not behave, in a manner disrespective of thier opinion or person - they tell you to fuck off.

Edited by Pathy
added in quote

I don't get why people buy games of things they can easily do in real life, like soccer and cricket...

You dont? i guess its a bit like someone being able to play paint ball as opposed to arma.

Ill buy EA for Madden anyday, its worth it

I don't tend to buy EA games so it isn't a big deal to me. However, I thought i'd share this with you: Project Fourth Panel. That will probably only be up for a few days so if you are reading this a while after I posted and it doesn't make sense that's why. I couldn't find a permalink for it.

I think it's fair. If you bought a game that someone else owned and registered then obviously you're installing the game on a different setup "new user". Take Microsoft for example, you can't install the same product key on two computers. Charging $10 to play online is decent it's still better than paying full price for old games that you might end up shelving!

Organising a cricket match after a hard days work is a little too much effort for me. Same for massacring hundreds of Russians for that matter.

Not that I can imagine the heady thrillls of an online game of Cricket.

Seems like a cynical money grab to me. DRM this DRM that. All your dollars are belong to EA.

Yeah, why buy Grand Theft Auto when you can just go outside and jack cars, blow shit up, and beat everyone you see with baseball bats... some people are just so lazy, huh?

Anyways, if I wanted to buy a used game (which I only do for XBOX 360, never for PC) then $10 wouldn't kill me to be able to play online. I am inclined to support the companies that make the games I like (for EA that is only sports titles).

Yeah, why buy Grand Theft Auto when you can just go outside and jack cars, blow shit up, and beat everyone you see with baseball bats... some people are just so lazy, huh?

Joining a local sports club isn't as dangerous as jacking cars, blowing shit up and beating up random people. Sure you might get hit in the head by a cricket ball or hurt when being tackled in rugby, but compared to getting shot it doesn't seem so bad :p

I suppose companies like EA don't like providing a service that isn't bringing in a profit. For games that already struggle to bring in huge numbers of people online this will kill the communities faster.

Edited by Maddmatt

Grand Theft Auto in real life has good gaphix!

STILL NO SUPPORT FOR 64bit!

Why Life why?? :(

OT

10 dollars you say?

4 months later

EA "Nice...."

EA didnt you hear you're too BIG to fail go to the US government and get yourself some free money! :yay:

I would be delighted to pick up the tab. :rolleyes:

Well, good thing I'm a 2K Sports fan. Their sports games are far superior to that of EA Sports, and they cost less too. :D

The real question should be, who in the hell buys used sports games? The whole concept is to buy a new sports game every year. Wouldn't make much sense to play a sports game from 2004 online, if that is even possible.

Well, good thing I'm a 2K Sports fan. Their sports games are far superior to that of EA Sports, and they cost less too. :D

The real question should be, who in the hell buys used sports games? The whole concept is to buy a new sports game every year. Wouldn't make much sense to play a sports game from 2004 online, if that is even possible.

I bought madden 06 used, since I wanted ONE pro football game.

anyways I agree with you, buying used sports games if your into that stuff is dumb, but for people like me who just want a fun cheap game then go knock yourself out.

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/108/1088621p1.html

I can't believe this shit. Well, I never really had interest in sports games anyways, but if they continue with such a bullshit policy I won't buy any of their games.

What are these companies hoping to achieve from this? The only thing they'll get is hatred from their customers. GFWL is a perfect example, but in that case Microsoft eventually came to their senses and got rid of the pay-to-play...

Oh, and what a big surprise it is that GameStop are fully supporting EA and this "endeavor". If people actually buy into this then I will have to come to terms with the end of gaming as we know it...

Meh - f*ck those jagovs :D

I'd happily buy a decent gaming PC for Arma 2 and a few choice MMOs tbh. EA can go sh*t in their collective hats for all I care (As can UBI et al). They aren't part of the equation and are welcome to peddle their dross to the console dullards. That's where their uninspired garbage belongs anyway.

Edited by BangTail

I don't get why people buy games of things they can easily do in real life, like soccer and cricket

Definately a valid point but sometimes it can be hard to play/do the sport/thing you enjoy. I play NHL 10 because Oxford Ice Rink leaves a lot to be desired and its not the easiest place to get to for me but do still love to ACTUALLY play ice or roller hockey with my friends. Maybe its also about playing as the stars you see on TV. Who knows lol. But yeah I'd take actually playing a sport to being on a PS3 any day. AND theres no DRM on a real sport... yet. :)

EDIT:

Well, good thing I'm a 2K Sports fan.

Haven't 2K stopped their NHL series this year? (for now at least), loved NHL 2K8 :)

A Brit who loves ice hockey? What is this blasphemy?! :eek:

In all seriousness it's a cool thing to hear. All I ever get from Brits is ice hockey players are pansies for wearing all that padding. :p

/offtopic

I suppose I can see why a company like EA wants to kill used sales, although I can see plenty of potentially successful lawsuits over the matter in America.

What galls me is that some analyst has clearly said to EA, 'people are playing a single game's muli-player for too long; to make more money we have to encourage them to buy another game.' EA's response? Make games with less longevity and kill EA-hosted servers after a year.

Sports fans get the worst of this treatment.

The big companies are all obsessed with the hope of eventually emulating World of Warcraft's subscription model across all types of games.

I thought sports games had their future sales all sown up permanently - all they need to do is put the next year's number in the title, update the shirt textures & player names etc and bingo, new game everyone must have.

But it does seem to be true that games seem to be designed to be played for shorter amounts of time, I see evidence of machines just grinding out the same game again & again.