Sign in to follow this  
Jabakaduras

Goty Lan problem

I've recently decided to play OPF with my friends over LAN, but when I host a LAN game, my friends don't see it. We've tried some ideas from different sites like remote connections (192.168.x.x as well as the IP addres from whatismyip.com), turning firewalls off (I've got Windows firewall) and making exeptions in it and trying to play DirectPlay/Socket, but still, it doesn't work. All our computers are more than capable of playing OPF, we all have Goty edition v.196, and different cd-keys ofc. Is there any other way to solve this problem ?

Same problem here, I had the idea but it been the worst LAN setting up for me in ages..

Try to use Hamachi with all your friends.

For some reasons we have never been able to find, we were not able to join each other, even by IP for private internet games.

With Hamachi, it worked, a server that is created between members connected on the same virtual network inside Hamachi can be seen from the OFP LAN (instead of Internet) menu of the Multiplayer panel.

1- Get Hamachi from there (the url redirect to a https ) :

http://www.logmeinhamachi.com/

2-Install Hamachi, if your firewall ask, grant Hamachi access to the internet and allow it to be a server too (or obviously none creating the server will be able to be seen).

3-Launch Hamachi, click the 'Power ON' button on the Hamachi window.

4-One of you select "Create a New Network", give it a name and a password. The network creator must then communicate the exact network name and passowrd to who you want to allow to join your virtual LAN.

5-The ones that want to join the network select "Join an existing Network", enter the name and password for it.

6-That's it, you are connected to a virtual LAN, and should see each ones names appearing, and under the name, an IP created by Hamachi. You can chat too.

DO NOT CLOSE HAMACHI NOW OR DURING THE WHOLE PLAYING OF YOUR GAME OR IT WOULD EJECT YOU FROM THE VIRTUAL LAN.

7-The one wanting to create the server launch OFP -> Multiplayer

Instead of Internet, select LAN then New, select your island, then your mission and wait

8-The one wanting to join launch OFP select LAN instead of Internet too, select Remote and enter the Hamachi IP of the guy (not the actual guy IP, tha Hamachi one that was assigned in this session) making the server.

9-That's all, you are now playing OFP multiplayer in LAN

Note : in your Device Manager, Hamachi creates a "Hamachi Network Interface" , and in your Services list, Hamachi maintain a "LogMeIn Hamachi 2.0 Tunneling Engine".

Both needs to be enabled and running only when you plan to actually use Hamachi, so if you don't use Hamachi, you can just turn them off/disable them if you want (but be sure to re-enable them and restart your system if you need to use Hamachi again)

Edited by Sanctuary

Thanks Sanctuary,

I might try this when my friend comes here and play LAN someday! :D

Note that Hamachi is a virtual LAN, that mean you don't need to have your friends in the same building as you.

You can setup a Hamachi LAN between people from all over the world.

You just have to select LAN in the OFP Multiplayer panel instead of the default Internet to make OFP believe it is really a LAN.

I installed hamachi, granted certain privilages, so firewall couldn't block it, made a new network, my friend connected, We could chat, I made a OPF socket Lan game, he typed my hamachi IP in the remote screen...and didn't see the game. Something is really wrong, are there any other possible solutions ? It is kind of strange, can the problem be caused by the same internet provider ? I know that probably not, but I'm trying every solution that comes to my mind, so I can finally play one of my favourite games.